TFW2005 staff pick their top Transformers of 2009

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Super_Megatron, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Sol Fury
    Masterpiece Grimlock. As a massive fan of Grimlock, I couldn't be happier with this toy. An excellent design, with a decent amount of weight to him, the design does Grimlock justice in both of his modes. He's also a lot of fun to pick up and mess about with, something that I have not felt comfortable with doing on my Masterpiece Megatron or Seekers. The accessories and the light up hand - a light up gimmick that works extremely well on this occasion - are the icing on the cake, and make Grimlock my personal pick of the year.

Runners up: Revenge of the Fallen Leader Class Optimus Prime, EZ Collection Devastator, Universe Darkwind, Alternity Convoy

Razerwire
    Masterpiece Grimlock wins the race this year. Just a marvel of a toy and wonderful accessories to boot. The gimmicks built into the figure with the changing eye color was a wonderful touch as well.
    The only disappointment I can come up with for the figure is the fact that we may never see the rest of the Dinobots get the masterpiece treatment.

Runners up: Human Alliance Bumblebee, Human Alliance Skids, and leader class Optimus Prime.

shibamura_prime
    Ironhide - ROTF Robot Replicas I'm probably going to get shot for picking a non-transforming bot as my '09 favorite, but I've been looking forward to this guy since the Robot Replica line debuted with movie 1 and Hasbro made it worth the wait. A dead-on sculpt and some generous articulation make Ironhide a great figure for display or play.

Runners up: Constructicon Devastator Showdown Vehicle Playset Universe Classics 2.0 Legends Autobot Cosmos ROTF Optimus Prime (Leader) ROTF Elita-1

FreshDebesh
    Masterpiece Grimlock: There is no question that this figure wins hands down this year. This is the Grimlock all Dinobot fans wanted since 1985. Having the ability to change his red eyes to blue, chromed out jaws and movable, stubby arms along with diecast metal feet truly make this the ultimate incarnation of our favorite T Rex (aside from BW Megatron). You can relive the silly Season 3 episode Madman's Paradise with the waiter set, or keep it simple with his familiar gun and sword, that can light up! He may be one of the most expensive Masterpiece figures, barring Optimus Prime with Trailer, but he's worth every penny. Now I can tell Grimlock about petrorabbits all day.

Runners Up: ROTF Deluxe Sideswipe, ROTF HA Bumblebee, Hasbro MP Skywarp, ROTF Ice Cream Twins

XJunky
    ROTF- Optimus Prime (Leader)- Let's face it, Prime laid it down in Revenge of the Fallen and this toy does him justice. The vehicle mode is a lot more screen accurate than it's predecessor from '07, and aside from the ugly battery cover in the back of the cab, is utterly gorgeous. The bot mode for this toy is leaps and bounds above the one from the last movie. It has a challenging transformation, fantastic articulation and great gimmicks. All in all it's a toy that even non-Prime fans can enjoy!

Runners up:
    Prowl (Samurai), Autobot Cosmos, MP Grimlock, Alternity Convoy

Shin Densetsu
    Human Alliance Bumblebee Out of the many ROTF figures I bought this year, and out of all TF's I bought this year, this figure impressed me the most. Adding a driver figure boosts playability, it's the same reason I wish some of the G1 reissues(the ones that were derived from Diaclone molds) came with their Diaclone drivers. It's the most detailed and articulate Bumblee from the movie line, and until Haskaromy makes a dedicated Masterpiece version or an all new Human Alliance Bumblebee for TF3, the current ROTF version will remain unsurpassed as the definitive movie Bumblebee figure.

Runners up: ROTF Leader Optimus Prime Deluxe Skids ROTF Voyager Megatron Masterpiece Skywarp

Seth Buzzard
    Grimlock - Transformers Masterpiece Beside being big and awesome and also rad MP Grimlock is arguable the best update of a G1 figure ever for one extremely important reason… He comes with an apron and bow tie. The light up sword and ability to change his eye color depending is you want him toy or toon accurate along with what ever the other guys that picked him said is all cool also.

Runners up: Jaguar Label Series Megatron feat. Nissan Fairlady Z (Alternity Blade Silver) Convoy feat. Nissan GTR (Alternity Ultimate Metal Silver)

GogDog
    Botcon 2009 Banzaitron was probably my favorite Transformer released this year. The head of the mold was a near perfect fit for the old Action Master and it was a perfect excuse to reuse this terrific mold. A close second would be Alternity Convoy and Megatron. The heirs to the Binaltech legacy, these figures feature amazing engineering, terrific paint, and diecast metal, transforming into licensed alt modes. What more could you ask for?

Runners Up: Masterpiece Grimlock, Mighty Muggs Starscream, Device Label Ravage, ROTF Leader Class Optimus Priime.

Shane Anderson
    I've been very selective this year, limiting my purchases to Universe characters and the few ROTF figures that appealed to me. Of the Universe molds actually released this year, Universe Hot Shot is my favorite, and it improves on the original figure in just about every way. A close second favorite is ROTF Ejector, because how could I resist a pyromaniac toaster that looks like an imp?

Runners up: Universe Dinobot, Universe Wheelie, ROTF Tankor, ROTF Legends class Fallen

Dinobot Nuva
    ROTF Fearswoop- Hooligan was one of my all time favorites as a kid, I might've only been 4 years old when the Cyberjets came out but man that crazy tiger color scheme was awesome. Someone else at Hasbro must've realized this and BAM we get the double-G2 homage Fearswoop (with a couple Legends packed in for good mix). The mold is already ridiculously proportioned, and combined with these trippy 90's colors it only adds to the craziness that is Hooligan.

Runner Ups: Universe Skyfall ROTF Jolt Universe Predacon Bruticus ROTF Sparkcrusher

Gears
    ROTF Human Alliance Bumblebee with Sam Witwicky: A brilliantly engineered figure that hearkens back to the glory days of one of the greatest Transformers lines ever: Alternators. The toy itself is superb and the Sam Witwicky figure was a great accessory. Also other toys in the Human Alliance line like Skids bring the film to life with great detailed figures and their human sidekicks. Also you can make the Bumblebee toy even more movie accurate with just a screwdriver and a simple thigh switch.

Runners up: ROTF Human Alliance Skids with Mikaela Banes and Arcee, ROTF Skids and Mudflap Ice Cream Twins, ROTF Deluxe Sideswipe, Henkei Ghost Starscream

Boardwise
    Cassette's Big Mission Volume 1, 2 & 3: Cassette tapes. An obsolete way of recording music, but yet they hold a special place in Transformers history as being a Decepticon alternative (at the start) to the vehicles of the Autobot Minibots. For years we have been wanting reissue of tapes, but until recently we've only had a few available. Now, thanks to three Encore reissue we have a whole host of tapes to choose from, including Ratbat who is notorious for missing ears, ready to partner up with the previous reissues of Soundwave, Soundblaster, Blaster and Twincast. Lets hope Takara-Tomy release the remaining tapes, and the ever so elusive Japanese Dino-Cassettes.

Runner ups: MP Grimlock, Animated Soundblaster, ROTF HA Bumblebee

Fosterlager
    Masterpiece Grimlock is king of the Transformers for 2009! As others on the TFW2005 staff have mentioned, this ultimate Grimlock toy calls back to the very well-engineered Generation One original. And Grimlock adds modern engineering to the transform, the articulation, and fairly unobtrusive tail/head wag and "Laser Rod" light-up features! And don't forget he has the ability to be posed in dino mode in either a tail-dragging or tail-up style!

Takara Tomy sweeps 2009 for me, with the fantastic Alternity Bumble and Cliff joining translucent Generations 2009 book exclusives Starscream's Ghost and Electro Disruptor Mirage as best toy runners-up!

Superquad7
    Bumblebee with Sam Witwicky - ROTF Human Alliance My pick this year was extremely difficult, because there are so many cool Transformers toys that have came out. However, this toy really stands out from all of the rest, for me. While I feel that the Human Alliance subline suffers from the lack all of the great things I love about Alternators/Binal Tech, this is really a great toy. Both the robot mode and alt mode are top notch, and the Sam Witwicky figure that comes with Bumblebee is great too. The interactivity with the robot and human truly exemplifies much of what I feel contiunues to make Transformers a successful brand.

Runners up (in order of preference): Optimus Prime (Leader) - ROTF Main Line Decepticon Bludgeon Grimlock - Transformers Masterpiece Warpath - Universe Classics 2.0 Legends

Deefuzz
    Masterpiece Grimlock - This is THE Grimlock toy. I never thought we would actually ever see a Masterpiece Grimlock, and even then when we did I thought the price alone would keep me away. But this toy is simply amazing, and it reminds me of my feelings when I first held Masterpiece Prime in my hands. I haven't been all that impressed with many of the other Masterpiece figures when I got my hands on them, but Grimlock is KING! Amazing detail in both modes, and some really cool accessories to boot, Masterpiece Grimlock deserves a spot in the collection of anyone who considers themselves a fan of G1. If Takara tried to take more of my money by painting it blue and releasing it again as Masterpiece G2 Grimlock, I would buy it again.

Runners up: Autobot Cosmos, ROTF Autobot Skids and Mudflap Ice Cream Truck, Animated Wreck-Gar, Mickey Mouse Transformer

soundwaveCA
    Henkei Alert -The reason has been lost in time.

Runners Up: Henkei Cyclonus, Human Alliance Bumblebee, Masterpiece Grimlock, Botcon 2009 Sweep 7

Vangelus
    Revenge of the Fallen Scouts This was a very hard decision. While a truly amazing feats of engineering have been released this year, the ROTF Scout line-up remains my most memorable discovery. There are incredible Masterpieces, a Human Alliance toy that nobody expected to be so great, and a bewildering Alternity of licensed car designs...but the ROTF Scouts hold the achievement of being a quirky band of characterful robot designs who also cost less than 10 bucks a pop. Much like their predecessors, the Real Gear line-up, the ROTF Scouts feel more like the main cast of their own non-existant TV series than the lowest pricepoint of a summer blockbuster tie-in. Their myriad aesthetics have left few fans unable to point out at least one that they feel is cool, and to accomplish all that under the Scout pricepoint has left me more impressed than anything else this year.

Runners Up: Bumblebee with Sam Witwicky - ROTF Human Alliance Grimlock - Transformers Masterpiece Shockwave / Longarm (True Colors) - Transformers Animated Optimus Prime (Leader) - ROTF Main Line

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Happy new year to you all and to all my fellow members

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Not enough Animated love for my tastes. =(

4. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    My top five:

MP Grimlock
    EZ Devastator is a VERY close second
    Botcon Flak
    Alternity Black Convoy
    Human Alliance Bumblebee

5. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    To all who picked MP Grimlock, I salute you. Now I'm gonna go back to telling Grimlock about more petrorabbits.

6. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

My top five:
    1.) MP Grimlock
    2.) Leader ROTF Prime
    3.) Ravage from ROTF
    4.) Electrostatic Soundwave
    5.)Walmart MP Skywarp.

7. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    My favourite 2009 toy:
    Masterpiece Grimlock

Runner-ups:
    Universe Deluxe Hound
    Universe Deluxe Cyclonus
    ROTF Human Alliance Bumblebee
    ROTF Leader Optimus Prime
    Alternity Bumblebee/Cliffjumper

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wheres my rodimus? <3 It's 2010.

My favs

MP Grimlock
    TF2 Prime
    Mega Powerbot Prime
    Hasbro Skywarp
    RR Ironhide and Ratchet
    Any Rodimus....

9. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

Happy New Year to my fellow TFW2005.com board comrads. May 2010 hold as much plastic crack in store as 2009.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I figure there would be more ROTF Leader prime. That being said, never a bad thing loosing to MP Grimlock :) 

11. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

My fav is got to be Classics Megatron I know it was years ago, but I got him this year. I see my runners are:

Universe Hound
    Universe Cyclonus
    Cybertron Primus w/ damaged Unicron head
    Universe Inferno
    Universe Legends including Cosmos, Brawn, Beachcomber, and Warpath

So those are mine and to the rest of the TFW2005 have a Happy New Year and stay frosty. LOL

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    CRAP. I need MP Grimmy. First I need the money for him. Gah!!! My fave character too.

13. Kenucme

Kenucme Yes, I'd get that one too TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    2009 has been a great year for me. May our outlook only improve in the new year!

2010, here we come!!!

Also, MP Grimlock would definitely be one of my top choices. Can't hardly wait for the Hasbro version!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not enough Animated figures released in 2009 for mine.

15. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure, I'll play.

1. Buster Prime (this may be my favorite TF EVER)

after that it gets harder.

2. Alternity Convoy (edit: wait a minute did he come out THIS year? I just saw him on other lists and went with it- I'm thinking he was 08 though)
    3. Alternity Megatron

These two just beat out

4. MP Grimlock

5. HA Sideswipe
    6. HA BB and Barricade

Skids (7) is arguably the best executed figure of the HA line, but at the end of the day he still has to contend with his movie design.

For the record, I think Premium Deluxe BB is better than HA BB, and I really hope we get a better HA version down the line (either for 3, or working from 70's camero). Granted BB is one of the best deluxes ever, but this still depresses me.

16. tfan123

tfan123 Well-Known Member

NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
    HA Skids w/ Arcee and Mikaela
    ROTF Ice Cream Trucks
    ROTF Robot Heores "Battle Of The Fallen" set
    ROTF Long Haul
    ROTF Demolisher

17. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    TFA Blurr
    ROTF Leader Prime
    Cyclonus
    ROTF Jetfire
    HA Bumblebee

18. eliteguardswoop

eliteguardswoop New Member

UNIVERSE CYCLONUS is THE FIGURE OF THE YEAR in my humble opinion. simply bcoz:
    1) he is just that bloody awesome.. u simply need to have at least 2 of him
    2) IMO, you don't need to hunt down the henkei version one, simply bcoz his universe counterpart is already fantastic

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My favorite of the year:

MP Grimlock: Beautiful figure. The only bad thing is the pricetag (I could've done without the light-up feature if it resulted in a more affordable figure).

The other favorites (in no particular order):

RotF Leader Optimus Prime (normal or Buster version): I wouldn't mind a simpler transformation and more Peter Cullen soundclips (come on, Animated Leaders have three!), but honestly that's just nitpicking here.
    Henkei Classics Cyclonus: I actually prefer the Easter Bunny Pastel paintjob.
    RotF Legends Devastator: the bigger one becomes all the more infuriarting next to this little guy.
    RotF Deluxe Sideswipe: Edges out the Human Alliance based on the slicker robot mode.

The next five:
    RotF Ejector (probably the perfect gift for anyone who likes Transformers, be it fans like us or random people you work with who liked the films)...Alternity Megatron (this mold alone sucked me into Alternators/Alternity-type figures)...Device Label Ravage (perfect complement to Music Label Soundwave and better in my opinion than Classics Ravage)...Encore Cassette set 3 (Rumble/Frenzy & Overkill were on some 'these molds are lost' lists for a bit, so it was nice to see them pop back up after all)...Botcon Banzai-Tron (I love this mold, so a new version with an eye-catching paint job was neat for me).

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not kissin' Sol Fury's ass here, but I got his back on Universe Darkwind. Awesome mold and awesome colors.