TFW2005 Sound-Off! Which Japanese Series Needs Translation to North America?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kickback, Sep 16, 2010.

?

TFW2005SO - Which Japanese Series To Bring Over to North America?

1. Headmasters

34.5%
  2. Masterforce

13.9%
  3. Victory

27.5%
  4. Zone

0.5%
  5. Beast Wars II

10.0%
  6. Beast Wars Neo

12.5%
  7. Other

1.2%
  1. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    If you managed to find your way to the thread through the frontpage and didn't end up in our Resources section, the board registration section, Google, a Halo: Reach thread, SHOUT FACTORY!'s webpage, Hasbro's webpage, the Radicons forum, the last TFW2005 Sound-Off!, or a thread about Masterpiece Winnebago Prime, then congratulations! My goal is seriously to make a frontpage post full of nothing but individual links for each word. Followed by one with links for every single letter in every single word.

Anyways!

Which Japanese Transformers Series should be translated and brought to North America? I say "North America" because it's more PC than saying "MADE IN TO ENGLISH OFFICIALLY DURRR" ... and "USA" would belittle our friends up north where eskimos live with penguins, and to our friends south of the border, where Grand Theft Auto V is taking place in real-life apparently.

Here are your options!

Transformers: Headmasters
    The United States, and other English speaking countries at the time, were given a special treat - REBIRTH! Originally meant to be the next "Five Faces of Darkness" with a five-part episode to launch a fourth season, it was cut short to three episodes and dubbed the end of the animation run of the original franchise. D'oh! But in Japan, Transformers were still surging with popularity, and thus, they ignored "Rebirth" and forged their own future of our favorite Transformers. Optimus Prime, Galvatron, Fortress Maximus, Scorponok, the return of Rodimus Prime, Soundwave and Blaster becoming Soundblaster and Twincast, and the awesomeness of Sixshot ... it's all thanks to Headmasters! Don't forget the Trainbots that formed Raiden, and most importantly, no little green men that sound like the GI Joes. Sah-weet!

Transformers: Masterforce
    What do you mean Nightbeat is a chick? The Powermasters and Pretenders shine in Transformers Masterforce, and Fortress Maximus got repainted in to Grand Maximus, and then was made in to a Pretender as well. Holy gimmick-selling-marketing-tools Batman! What's the bad guy's name again? I'm pretty sure at one time he was called Gigatron, but I think they called him OVERLORD in Japan! Oh, this is pretty much as close to "Power Rangers" as Transformers gets. If you forget that whole "Energon Optimus Prime" bit.

Transformers: Victory
    Is it "Star Saber" or "Star Sabre"? I can never remember. Stupid English language. Anyways, he fought this guy named Deathsaurus (spelling? lolcopter) and there was a ton of toys that basically never saw the day of light here in the United States. But we got Bludgeon, Stranglehold, Octopunch, Thunderwing, Vroom (yes, Vroom!), the helicopter dude, and Longtooth! So nyah, Japan!

Transformers: Zone
    I like to call this "Transformers: Micromasters!" because that's all there really was in it. I mean sure, Optimus Prime comes back as "Star Convoy", the Goku-version of Optimus Prime, and faces off against the Frieza 5th stage of evolution versions of every single Decepticon combiner (except Monstructor, poor Monstructor), Trypticon, Scorponok, basically everyone but Unicron. Except they don't combine. They wear capes. And Predaking's face is cute and cuddley. Megatron did return (or was supposed to return, I can never remember if he did or not in the manga), but this really marked the end of "G1" in Japan. But that's okay! Japan would later become impatient with Mainframe's CGI work-schedule and create...

Beast Wars II
    The animation sequel to our first season of Beast Wars! Or something. I dunno, I've never watched it. But it did have some cool characters like Galvatron, Gigastorm, God Neptune (wow, fascination with the letter "G" much?), Lio Convoy, and Drill Nuts.

Beast Wars Neo
    Big Convoy! Seriously. Big Convoy. The best "Beast Wars" Transformer ever. He's so awesome, he makes you forget how to turn him back in to his mammoth form. And when you try, he beats you, or pulls out his Matrix and beats you with that. It also had this really creepy character that returns named
    Unicron!
    and the fandom forever cries about the toy that was never released.

Other
    At least take the time to write what and why.

So there you go peeps. Sell your stories on what series you feel deserves to be brought over! Convince me, convince your peers, convince the employees of companies that can make this happen that are illegally viewing this site during their lunch breaks! (NOTE: Humor). Keep things PG-13 and nice, and I'll throw some love your way on the frontpage next week.

HAPPY VOTING!

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Star Saber!

3. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I'd love to see Beast Wars Neo (or II, but Neo moreso).

The character designs are just off the wall. A mammoth, a rabbit, a racoon with testicles, a horse...lots of unique characters. More Beast Wars would always be a good mark in my book, but I just love the designs and characters of the BWN figures and I'd love to see an English translation.

4. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    Beast Wars Neo. Such amazing alt mode's and the toy's are still amazing. If they got a SHOUT! English Dub, it would be awesome.

Mad props to you, KB, for doing all that linking.

5. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    God-on!

Masterforce for me. :) 

6. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I'm voting for Masterforce. You get the best cartoon leader the Decepticons ever had with Overlord and an actually good explanation for the existence of the Pretenders that puts the G1 Marvel comic's origin to shame. The beginning is quite good; however, once God Ginrai gets into the act, it quickly becomes a wankfest almost solely for his benefit.

Headmasters was alright...I guess. Daniel in that series really dragged the whole thing down and Sixshot is an utter disappointment. People would have built shrines to him if he just squashed Daniel like a bug but he didn't and he blew it.

Victory I found boring. Everything was Star Saber this and that with little changing other than Victory Leo and them combining to kick butt. I will give them credit for having one of the best developed gestalts though with Liokaiser.

Never saw any of the Japanese Beast Wars or Zone (save that part where Predaking gets sliced in half).

7. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Can't really make a vote here. I'd honestly like to see all of them to be translated. You can never have too much Transformers. :D 

8. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

dont listen to gogdog, listen to me and bring over Beast wars Neo

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Victory! At least the series wouldn't contradict the West's G1. Anyway, I would buy any Japanese series with a good translation. I'd love to see Headmasters and Masterforce given justice.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Easy, Victory is my favorite Japanese Exclusive series:rock 

11. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

HeadMasters! :rock 

12. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say cut the shows into pieces, put them together randomly and redub it. It'll be Transformers: Beastheadmaster Force II: Victory Zone Neo!

13. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    VICTORYYYY!!!!!
    Best Japanese series ever...

Headmasters isn't the worst.... It has its moments! (Thats why I'm working on a dub... =P)
    Beast Wars Neo and 2 were crappy.
    Oh and Masterforce, I wish was not created....

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Victory, then Masterforce as far as my wants.

--Moony

15. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast Wars Neo for me, because it introduced very memorable characters such as Magmatron, Big Convoy and Stampy, and those characters had amazingly unique alt modes. They made truly amazing toys as well, probably the best of the Beast Era.

It also helped that the IDW Beast Wars series spiked massive interest (for me at least) in the story and also that there are NO GOOD FANSUBS of the show. As such, unless you knew Japanese, you'd still be in the dark on the story.

16. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I have a hard time choosing. I'm still holding out hope that Hasbro will translate all of them for the Hub after Prime and the movie franchise is dead. I know that's a pretty slim (and long term) hope, but it would be cool. Original Japan-only molds released in America would be the absolute hail-mary add-on to that.

17. blackout501st

blackout501st ultimate enforcing hound

i dont know why but i never liked the idea of headmasters. so im going to have to go with VICTORY! :D 

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Masterforce, by far and away the only Japanese TF series of any quality.

19. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Headmasters to complete season 4.

20. AutobotIgnition

AutobotIgnition Well-Known Member

Either Masterforce or Victory for me.
    If it was a decent translation with good voice actors, I'd love to see any of them - I think i'd even try Headmasters.
    But Masterforce and Victory would be my first choices.