TFW2005 Review - Transformers The Movie (1986) Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

I'll pass on this version. Thanks for the review.
    BTW -- is it just me or was the color correction on the 20th DVD pants?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The color correction, I thought, was spot on for a DVD release. It was the most accurate of any DVD release so far. The Blu-Ray is nearly identical in that respect, except the contrasts were a bit richer.

When Tony, Rik, Paul and I did the commentary for the 20th DVD, we got to see a lot of raw materials and the color was pretty accurate.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Im still tossing around getting this. Are we sure it will even get a domestic release on Blu-Ray? If so i will just wait for that then spending the extra cash to import this.

4. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TFTM in HD resolution is a great thing, but the absolute dearth of features ensures that this release will not be the one that makes me make the jump to BluRay...

5. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cool. My copy got jacked in a burglary, I needed a replacement. Might as well be this.

7. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I think I will wait and see what the US Blu-Ray version gets. Definitely some special features I hope.

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't have that version to do a fair comparison. I can't tell by those screens as I don't know what was used to create them, what if any image correction was done in Photoshop to either version, etc. The Sony screens used in those pics look a lot softer than they should.

9. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

My own personal review from Cybertron.ca:

"Ok so I watched it last night, one of the 2 copies I got (by accident), and I swear to God it is a night and day difference from any previous version I have seen. My jaw literally dropped.

I have owned 2 VHS copies, 2 DVD copies and watched them all over 100 times and all fail in comparison to this edition.

The clarity and detail are massively better as well as the color jumps of the screen, and looks accurate. Unlike the crappy sony version. And finally a version that has NO macro blocking. Awesome. The original film dirt is there, but it make me feal like I am watching this in theaters again since the quality was the same as I remember it back in 1986 on the BIG SCREEN. The DTS soundtrack is emense too. Much better than the crappy Dolby Digital abomination. There are new details to be heard.

Some of the scenes that jump out at you right off the bat is when Unicron is munching on planet Lithone at the beginning of the movie. You can see clearly every detail of the planet and unicron. Its amazing. Or on the planet of junk, you can actually make out things all over the place. The drawings were highly detailed and always lost with previous versions. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

I think its a must own if you love the 1986 film as much as I do. You will see things in this movie you never saw before and hear things better than ever. "YOU GOT THE TOUCH, YOU GOT THE POWER. YAH!"

A few other major notes after watching it already 4 times:

(1) According to the box there are 5 hours of special features. Unless they are seriously hidden there are NONE. Just the movie. But thats why I bought it.

(2) From what I can tell the DTS audio track falls in and out of sync at times. Can't really tell unless your watching the animated mouth move, but on a big screen it can be distracting at times. I only noticed 3 or 4 times. The Dolby Digital sounds ok but it too is out of sync sometimes. But doesn't sound as sharp and clear as the DTS audio track.

Now these are just nit picks, and I am never watching this movie on DVD or VHS again, but I thought you should all be made well aware of these minor defects I noticed."

10. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Even Rhino came up with a couple of decent special features. Given the capacity of a Blu-Ray disc and the price, having no extra features is inexcusable.

Big time pass.

11. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Not only that, but even the DVD cover is incredibly dull. I mean, it's a nice pic of Optimus I guess, but that's it?

12. Ran-neko

Ran-neko Cats rule the WORLD!!

I got this recently and my one gripe is that the audio gets muffled at times. Best example is during the "touch" scene the weapons fire is almost silent, you can't even hear Prime's trademark rifle sound.

I was really put off by this and it didn't matter what audio mode I had it in.

Btw, I paid $20 cdn for it.

Ran

13. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

Spot on color?? Really?

So when Unicron was destroying Lithone and the screen was saturated in red, you thought that was accurate? The 20th anniv. release was a poor excuse for a remaster. The colors were washed and over-saturated. I hope the Blu-ray version looks better than that.

14. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    F-? is that even possible?

15. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Meh...
    I'll pass. I am very happy with my 20th Anniversary release.

16. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have HD or Blu-Ray DVDs, but is it true most of them are just bare bones disks?

17. Zaraxion1021

Zaraxion1021 Cybertronian Monarch

I hope that comes out in the US soon :bay :

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Not to detract from the discussion, but... people DO know that this disc is like, nine months old, right? Lotta chat like it's new. Just FYI. Carry on!

19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

That's untrue, they have special features as well.

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I might buy a PS3 and HDTV just to see this. ;) 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.