TFW2005 Review - Transformers The Movie (1986) Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Transformers the Movie (1986)
    Format: Blu-Rays Disc
    Video Resolution: 1080P
    Audio: Stereo 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1
    Release Date: October 1, 2007
    Region Code: Region Free, UK Release
    Studio: Metrodome

[​IMG]

The Movie:

The 1986 Transformers Movie has become a cult hit throughout the years, loved by Transformers and nostalgia fans alike. The movie is meant to bridge the gap between Seasons 2 and 3 of the original Transformers cartoon, as well as clear out most of the original cast to make way for the next wave of characters and toys. I'm not going to review the film itself. If you're reading this, then you likely know this movie well.

Video Quality:

The video is presented in full 1080p HD. This means the full resolution is 1920x1080 showing the highest resolution available on physical media today. The film is presented in its theatrical wide screen print. This print shows the film exactly as it was meant to be seen in theaters. For those that remember, and for those that do not, the film was animated in a 4x3 ratio, but was matted to 16x9 for the theatrical release. With the past 4x3 DVD releases, you actually see more image on screen, but the 16x9 print usually offers a better overall composition on screen as that was the original intent of the film.

The transfer from the film print is very crisp and clear. The print offers very vibrant colors that really pop off the screen. The color correction is superb, offering deeper darks and more detailed highlights than previous DVD releases. The clearer pricture comes at a price however. With the picture being so clear, the difference between the animation and background cells is very apparent. On larger screens it is quite easy to spot edges and cut outs on specific cells. Also, there are some scenes that have a slight blur to them. With the picture being so crisp, it's hard to tell if this is a fault of the transfer or a defect from the original print. It's only noticeable if you are closer to the screen, but may become more apparent upon multiple viewings.

Overall, this is the best the film has ever, and likely will ever look on a home video release. As stated before, the color balance is excellent, with the release avoiding the over saturation of some sub-standard animation transfers.

Score: B+

Audio Quality:

The Blu-Ray release offers 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks. The Audio mixing for Transformers The Movie has always been ok. Not great, not terrible. The Audio tracks presented here are about on par with what is available on past DVD releases. The remixed 5.1 tracks do the job nicely, but will not blow you away. It's just as serviceable to listen to this film in 2.0. That said, the audio itself is clear, with no compression, cracking or hissing. However, channels seem to get mixed up a bit, which can be annoying.

Score: B

Special Features:

Nothing. The disc has an extremely basic menu. There is no commentary track, no behind the scenes, not even a commentary track. This should be unacceptable, especially considering the plethora of supplemental material available to be used.

Score: F-

Overall:

This release should be picked up by die-hard fans only. It's a shame really, because the transfer itself is so nice to look at. If all you want is the movie is high definition, and special features don't interest you, then you should be fine picking this up. Those looking for a more complete release are better served picking up the excellent Sony 20th Anniversary Edition 2-Disc DVD, or waiting for the inevitable Metrodome double dip on Blu-Ray and/or an eventual North American Blu-Ray release.

Score: C+

I'd like to give a special thanks to TILLALLR1 of the 2005 Boards for hooking me up with the film.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    wow, no features at all? Maybe there will be some when its released in the states, but thats disappointing.

3. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    No special features makes me sad.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Special features don't interest me.

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does the 20th release have widescreen?

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  7. SarahMobius

SarahMobius Adventurer

News Credits:
    I totally forgot this existed.
    Version 4 of this movie I have to buy (VHS, original DVD, 25th anniversary dvd, and now the blu-ray), but it shall be shinny!

8. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

I am not big into special features, but for a Blu-Ray disc that probably cost, what $30-$35 American what most of this format costs on average (which isn't worth it IMO), that's a big chunk of change for nothing but the movie. HDMovieSource.com has the movie listed at $38.99. Definitely not worth it then.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You would think that Special Features would be a given for a film that is 22 years old.
    Nothing?
    Sad.

10. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Well they screwed up again. I mean, to me anyway, special features is part of the fun of buying any dvd. That really sucks that didn't put any on this release, hopefully they will add something when it is released in the states, if not, I'll probably not bother in picking it up. But thats just me.

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is quite suprising that it comes with nothing, especially seeing how I own the normal dvd version and it comes with loads.

12. galaxyphoenix

galaxyphoenix repainted member

actually, there were 2 VHS releases. the original, then there was the one where they opted to shorten the beginning credits and add a text narrative afterwards...i thinik. i know it was there. i'd throw it in if i still had a vcr and check........so in all, the blu ray (ver. 1) is release number 5

13. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Well now that Hasbro has reaquired the rights to alot of the transformers material I wonder if the film is one of them. I would trust that Hasbro and whom ever they work with would plan a master edition of the film with tons and tons of goodies. Maybe even some stuff we have never seen:drool: 

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    For a film that's been released so many times already, it's a bit arse to have no extras at all. You could say the picture quality is an extra feature, but at such high prices that's not worth laying out for yet another copy of the film.
    I guess they're waiting to put out yet another version with some extras (while keeping some in reserve for future multiple releases) when the time is right. Sucks. I miss when putting out the best, value for money product was how things are done.

15. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Banned

Unless they change it so poxy Hot Rod dies instead of Prime, I don't care what format it's available in...

16. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Easy pass for me. Im sure there will be a super duper edition when the new movie drops.

17. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Good review Joe, thanks. I can continue to put off my Blu-Ray purchase.

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Blu ray or not that Sony release is going to be hard to top at this point. Like Joe pointed out the soundtrack has been fine tuned as much as it can be and aside from the picture being a little more crisp on HD-TV's I don't see this being much worth it.

Good review Joe :thumb 

19. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    Thanks, I may just be a lil more patient and see what the US version offers!

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review Joe. I think I am going to pick this up next paycheck.

I will keep my sony copy for the extras, and the Fan commentary (Yeah Daniel is going to make a difference helping with the pushing of the launcher, lol).

But I really want to see this movie in 1080, so it's worth it for me.

I do think that when it finally gets released here on BR, we will get some of those extras, though some of them might be copies of the Sony DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.