TFW2005 Resources Section Relaunched!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Transformers Resources at TFW2005 Overhauled!

Welcome to the brand new Transformer World 2005 Transformers Resources Database! We have upgraded the system to better deliver information and images to you on all your favorite characters and lines. This upgrade introduces...

• A new non-tabbed layout for the character pages.
    • Only the "areas" of the page that have information display now.
    • Automatic cross linking to various search terms within the system to help you jump around and find similar items.
    • Cleaned up and updated parts information (searchable).
    • A brand new home page.
    • A new Resources Submission Forum.

The major part of all that is the cross-linking. You can now click on any of the terms within the page and automatically pull up search results for toys or characters with the same specs in that particular field.

For example, ever wanted to see all the characters with a Tech Spec rank of 8? Or how about all the figures slated for January 2009? Or maybe all the Targetmasters? Either way, you now have a crap load of options to explore with in the new section.

The system has a "Quick Searches" sidebar on the left hand side, under the navigation menu. So you can start there for some popular and useful searches. You can also jump to any page within the system for a toy or character, and find things linked like that as well.

If you would like to further refine your search, you can do that too. Check out or massive, (and a bit sloppy) Advanced Search Page. It may take you a long time to check everything off that you need, but if you REALLLLLY need to get some specific results, you have that capability now.

Also of note is the Figure Identification and Parts Identification capability. This was there before, but with the added cross linking, you can now easily explore the system trying to identify that figure or part you may not recognize. Use the pre-formatted links right on the front page, or, the advanced search page to choose colors of parts for specific generations.

For the pro-active fan - we now have a Resources Submission Forum. Now any of you, the fans, can help us add, fix, and update the Resources section. All you have to do is submit a new thread in that forum with the info you want us to update, and we will add it in, with credit to you. You can check out the guidelines and what types of data we need here: Resources Submission Guidelines.

I would like to give a BIG THANK YOU to the following staff members who helped re-organize our database over the last couple months. They did a ton of work to get it functional, and their time and effort should be commended.

Sol Fury, trebleshot, Smkscrn GT, GogDog, Aernaroth, and TreKain.

I'd also like to thank our staff in general, including those with the 2005 Contributors badge:

aksmth, Buzzbeak, Cloud Strife, Dark_Convoy, DESTRO, Drew Eiden, flywheels, Galactimus, Gen. Magnus, Grimlocka go-go, Jarodimus, Ktulu, Lupis Convoy, Omegus Prime, Prowl2000, Red leader, Runamuck, Vangelus, and XJunky.

So, that's about it, feel free to leave your feedback and suggestions. Enjoy!

2. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow guys.

Just started poking around. Absolutely phenomenal.

Let me be the first to tip my hat to you. Thank you for all of your work!

3. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main resources page feels very cluttered, but the actual character pages are awesome with everything merged!

4. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    The main page was a bit rushed. What part do you feel is cramped, and what would you do to change it?

5. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Looks pretty cool. Thank you for the upgrade, it looks great!!!:thumbs2: 

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The left bar is now much more intuitive. Navigating just got a lot easier. The only thing I would say is to limit the "Updates" thumbnails to maybe 2 - 3 rows. That way it appears less cluttered. Other than that, I think it's looking great. I always loved the individual pages for each character, and now that everything is on a single page, I think it's even better.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Great work, guys! This is AWESOME.

TFW FTW! :thumb 

8. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Woohoo! :D 

Congratulations to everyone involved. It's great working with you guys. :thumb 

9. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Awesome update! Bravo!

10. soundwave34

soundwave34 OBSESSED Transformers Fan

Yes, I've been looking for this. TFW2005 just got better.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  I just did a search for all G1 characters with a Strength rating of 1. Airwave is a puss!

12. GenZhao

GenZhao Banned

News Credits:
    WOW, awesome work!! Looks great

I said it yesterday and Im going to say it again,

TFW is the BEST Transformers Forum and site on the net!

PS - I will try to find out information on any of those TF that you need information on if I can. I'll keep my eyes and ears wide open. This site could be better then TFU for TF Toy info. I'll do my best to help make it as complete as possible!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

GREAT update, guys! It is much easier to navigate around this new version, and the cross-linking is great. Thanks for taking all the time to do this.

I didn't even realize the "search by part" feature was available before. This makes it much easier to find and use.

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great guys:)  Thanks for all the hard work. It is much easier to navigate now and it is soooo much better without the tabs. I will be using it a lot more often now.

15. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Great job, guys! :thumb 

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Very cool, much easier to navigate and a very good layout. My only gripe is that the ebay ads get in the way even more now as they chop the articles in half. Is there a reason they can't just go at the bottom, or the side or even the top? (at least teh article would be solid)

17. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Awesome stuff!! Hopefully we will quit seeing the bitching about links to links....

18. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    looks good guys!!!

the only thing i feel like you are missing is a section with other versions, i.e. if i am looking at G1 Bumblebees page (which i am) there should be at least text links if not thumbnails to other versions of BB ~ movie, robot heroes, classics, etc...

19. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Very nice. Like the improvements and the fact the whole entry is on a single page (though I didn't mind the tabs).

What I still dislike is that if I try to save an image, the name defaults to 'attachment.php', but I'm starting to guess it's not something that's easily fixed.

Agree about the eBay ads.

-airfox

20. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    That's sort of already there. If you click on the name of the entry, it automatically links to a search for all toys that share that name.

Using your example, there are currently 48 toys listed in the Resource Database that share the name Bumblebee across all lines:

Search Results - Transformers Resources

Of course, if a character's name has changed due to copyright issues or other legal matters, then the search will not include it.