TFW2005 for a class assignment?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by IaconStargazer, Sep 1, 2012.

1. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

(First off, I figure that this could work in General Discussion, but if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.)

For my New Media college class, our first assignment is to make a PowerPoint presentation on an example of a knowledge community. I figure that TFW2005 works quite well for one, so I was wondering if it would be okay for me to describe some aspects of this great website.

Although I am thinking of using many simple links to different sections and threads of the site, could I use screenshots of some areas as well? Pics of the homepage news feed, areas of the discussion boards, and - probably the example that requires permission the most - perhaps the top banner of user profiles?

I'm not entirely sure of what I can or can't use from this website for this assignment, so suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    If you do go along with this, just remember to show TFW in it's best, and it's worst light... If that makes any sense.

3. Driskull98

Driskull98 World's Only Snarler Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Don't mention the Prime forum.

Or the clutterbag that is the Movie forum.

Other than that, sounds like a grand idea.

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    This is a class assignment, what could go wrong with showing off the best and the worst? Hiding it wouldn't help to show that not everything is good.

5. Driskull98

Driskull98 World's Only Snarler Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I was kidding. He's free to do whatever he wants with the assignment.

6. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

Thanks for the help, folks (although I do hope at least a few more people comment on this for a greater range of advice). I suppose my nervousness toward using screenshots from the site has been as if I were approaching a heavily copyrighted property - feeling the need to be extremely cautious about what I decide to use. But after all, this is a fan website in which anyone can see people's discussion comments.

When it comes to showing the best and the worst, I've thought of showing things like the accurate guess about Fulcrum and K-Class Decepticons in MTMTE, DotM set photos back in 2010, and discovering a new TF Prime commercial for positives, and probably at least a thread where things got pretty heated for a negative.

And on a non-serious note: Wow, Driskull98, your sig is hilariously distracting. XD

7. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Ah, so the focus is on the knowledge, and less on the community (though I know the whole point is the combination of both.) Be sure to note the extensive resource
    section, where pretty much every toy ever is catalogued. That's one of the many sum totals of the members' contributions here. For a more microcosmic "knowledge community," how about the Sightings Forum? That's a localized sharing of where toys have popped up and at what location.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Also be sure to point out the differences in the parallel forms of community knowledge available at TFW. There's archival knowledge, built by individuals in the resource section for reference by all, and at the same time, there's crowdsourced information and "human search engines", where specific, individual questions by users are answered in a way that technology is still not effective at doing ("Who are these missiles from?" for example).

9. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

I figure that a slide consisting of a list giving basic descriptions of TFW's six main sections (those displayed on the website's top banner) is already nice, but it probably would be a good idea to devote at least one slide altogether to the Sightings forum and the Resources section to provide examples of the site's collective knowledge.

Where are the "human search engines" exactly? (Is that an actual section, or are you just referring to users asking questions on the boards that others can help answer?) I've been on the site for quite some time now, but there are still many areas that I haven't explored.

10. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    i would have thought /toy/ would be more interesting, if only because it's not set up like a forum. i can understand wanting to show off your hobby, but tfw is basically like any other well-put-together forum-meets-archive. odds are someone else in your class is going to do something similar, even if its a forum dedicated to sandwiches or umbrellas or lawnmowers etc.

11. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

'Crowdsourcing' remains my least favorite bullshit buzzword of all time :p 

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    He just means the discussion forum itself. Like, say, you want a TF gun to be identified. It's much easier to start a thread in the toy discussion asking people who would know the answer off hand then sift through a resource or archive trying to identify it.

13. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

Ah - okay. Yeah, that's something simple but noteworthy.

Would it be all right if I used screenshots of the top information on some profile pages (from "________'s Profile" down to "Current Activity") to show a bit of the website's member diversity?

14. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of course you can use TFW2005 as an assignment.

Just let us know how the assignment goes

15. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

Will do. : )

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    If you use something that belongs to a person, even if it's just one of their posts or their name, as an example, it's generally good manners to ask them permission. Send a PM to the mods of the site to ask permission for pictures of the resources, etc. to clear it with them as well. Be specific in what you want to use.

17. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Go ahead. I mean, I'm no "head mod", but you got my thumbs up!

Also.....you were talking about "user profile banners" 'n' stuff. You can use me as a main example. I don't mind, one little tad.:) 

18. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

Possibly a dumb question, but...is there a way to search for any of them on the site or something? I can't recall any of them by username. : /

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Scroll down, and look for the names listed as moderators for each section. Or go to the main index page and look for online user names that are in a different color from the majority.

20. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

I'm a few days late in reporting this, but I got a 90% on the assignment! Thanks for being such a great knowledge community, TFW2005! : )