TFW2005 Covering UK Launch Of The Transformers Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    To prepare for the UK launch of the Transformers Movie, TFW2005 is going to be bringing you press releases, interviews and more courtesy of Way To Blue, the PR firm handling the launch of the Transformers Movie in the UK. Below, you will find interviews with Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, Michael Bay, and Megan Fox.

Transformers (Cert 12A) is will be released in UK cinemas 27th July 2007.

2. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Shia LaBeouf

Q: Tell me about talking with Michael Bay about the film.

LABEOUF: When I first sat down with Mike, it was never the discussion of, "Let's talk about the technology, let's talk about the robots." The first thing he wanted to talk about was, "Look, this is a coming of age story. How do we make this real? How do we make these characters come across as honest? How do you make these relationships work, so that you can follow the story?"

Q: Can you tell me about Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson's characters?

LABEOUF As far as, uh, Josh and Tyrese's character and, their whole storyline, they've just come out of war. Their base has just been completely demolished and now they're working with the government to figure out a way to stop the Decepticons from taking over the planet.

Q: How did you feel about doing your own stunts?

LABEOUF That's the best part is when Mike'll put a camera on the ground and it's in a bulletproof box so you don't break the camera, and your face is right next to it. And your thinking is, "They're protecting the camera, and I'm sitting right here. Why don't I have a bulletproof box?"

4. What was it like seeing the robot in the Hoover Dam?

LABEOUF There was a couple of us that saw it for the first time...and it was at Hoover Dam. And we walked down through the Hoover Dam which was an experience in itself, with these big silos of energy all next to you. You're in the guts of the dam. Few people ever get to walk down there. And just over the yonder is a big yellow foot. And you're like, "No way!" And you start walking, you're getting closer and closer and you start seeing the body and the torso and the head and he, and it's just silence. Everyone.

3. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Josh Duhamel

The following questions were pulled together from a more comprehensive list of questions submitted by international journalists from our set visit.

Question: How did you initially become involved in TRANSFORMERS?

Josh: I was originally meeting with Michael Bay’s two partners to do The Hitcher [for their joint company, Platinum Dunes]. I went to his offices to meet with Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, and Michael Bay popped his head in to say hello to talk about The Hitcher, and whatever and then we started talking about what he was going to be doing next, and it was TRANSFORMERS…I was thinking, “TRANSFORMERS? They’re making that a movie?” Because I grew up with these things. And I was like, how’re they gonna do that? I really didn’t think much more about it other than I knew it was going to be cool since he was going to be doing it. But I couldn’t really even visualize how they would make that movie. Sure enough, two months later we get a call that we wants to meet with me on TRANSFORMERS. And sure enough, after a couple of auditions and a couple more meetings, I’m on the set of this one, rather than the one I was originally meeting on. So that’s sort of how I became involved. I went in to read the script in his office shortly after I got the part.

Q: The producers call you the second Hugh Jackman . . .

Josh: They do?!

Q: Apparently someone must have used this description to a member of the Japanese press because this question is posed by them. How do you feel about that?

Josh: They call me the second Hugh Jackman. That’s good. I’ll take that.

Q: What do you say to something like that? That’s pretty great. I mean, he’s a pretty all-around great guy.

Josh: Yeah, I mean, I love his work. I’ve never met him, I can’t comment on him personally, but I love the way he carries himself in his career, so yeah, I’ll take that compliment. [Laughs]

Q: Is Michael Bay everything you expected him to be?

Josh: No, he’s not. He’s . . . you hear stories that Michael Bay is this . . . . he’s tough and a tyrant and all these things, and I have to say that I’ve had a blast working with him. I really like the guy. And I admire him more than anything because he’s uh . . . to take on the size of the movies that he does, and the pressure that he takes on, you can understand why he needs to be demanding, and has to be in control, and he knows exactly what he wants. And I think I was expecting worse, but he’s actually fair. He’s very fair. The crew loves him, you know, everybody respects what he does. As hard as he can be, the crew gets him and understands what he’s looking for and nobody ever takes it personally. And he’s a lot more fun than I expected. He really has a sense of humor. He may yell, but at the same time, he’ll joke with you about it afterwards. So you never take it personally, and everybody is fair game, so it’s all about making a good movie.

I’m also really impressed with how much work and preparation he does before he starts a film. He knows every beat, he knows what everybody’s job is on the set, so it’s good to know that the guy who’s in charge knows exactly what he’s doing.

Q: What did he require of you during prep for this film? And you of yourself?

Josh: Well I knew that . . . . [Michael Bay] told me that before we started . . . he wanted to know if I’d had an athletic background or if I was going to be able to handle the physicality of it. And I knew that I’d be able, but he said, “You know my guys get beat up in these films and I want you to be ready for that.” That sort of excited me [laughs] . . . because I love being able to do things that are more physical because it makes the job easier if you can incorporate some kind of physicality to [the role]. So I trained quite a bit, but I probably should have done more cardiovascular stuff than I did because I didn’t realize I was going to be running with a 40-pound gun up and down the streets seven or eight times a shot. But, yeah, that and the preparation going to Fort Irwin, which was a real retrospective on what soldiers go through before they go to war.

Q: How do you unwind after a stressful day?

Josh: Well, I’ve never appreciated time off more than I do right now with this movie and doing the tv show [Vegas] at the same time. All I do is go home, have a beer, watch . . . the first thing that I’ll do is read what I have to do the next day, and if it’s a lot, I’ll work on that. Otherwise, I’ll just have a beer and watch a football game or basketball, or a baseball game or whatever, and just play with my dogs, just chill.

Q: What kind of dogs do you have?

Josh: Two wiener dogs, two dachshunds.

Q: What’s your favorite Transformer(s), whether it’s form the comic, a toy, whichever?

Josh: Well, I’ve thought about this a lot. When I’m on . . . when you get to see the actual autos, the actual cars out there, so you get to kind of see which one would I want if I were a kid? And if this were in a toy form, which one would I want? I think the one that I would . . . if I were a kid and I’d just seen this movie, the first one that I would probably buy is Ironhide, the big truck, the big black truck. Maybe it’s because I have a black truck and I just have an affinity for that one, for whatever reason. It’s just a fun toy to play with.

Q: Has it been difficult, fighting with robots?

Josh: Not really. It hasn’t been as hard as I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be more difficult because I thought that more of it was going to be done against green screen or blue screen. There’s just so much stuff going on, running up and down the streets, bombs going off, shooting guns and everything that it feels as if they’re really there. And I’d seen enough of the animatics before so I know what they’re going to look like when they’re back there, and I’ve seen the artwork so I have a pretty specific vision of what these things are going to look like, so it hasn’t been as hard. Once in a while, [I have to ask,] “OK, so which one is walking where? And what is it doing? It’s fought from the building and it’s crashing down and it’s taking its helicopter blade and slashing through this car over here? OK.” As long as you know exactly what they’re doing, you can react to it.

Q: If a sequel presents itself, would you be interested in that?

Josh: Yeah, yeah.

Q: Of course it would probably be the same character – would you want him to be more developed?

Josh: Yeah, this has been, ah . . . it’s not exactly a character piece that I’m able to do here because most of it is just battle. I’m mostly battling these things, and there’s a little here and there, but I understand that this is a movie about the robots first and foremost, mostly introducing them and why they’re here and what they’re here for. But yeah, if the opportunity presented itself, I’d be into it, definitely. I’ve had a lot of fun. It’s been a dream of mine to be in a movie like this, to work with Michael Bay. This is the epitome of the big Hollywood blockbuster movie and you can’t ask for more.

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Megan Fox

1. What attracted you to working with Michael Bay?

FOX Michael Bay's name, if it's attached to a script, you know it's gonna be a huge blockbuster released in the summer, with jets flying over at the premiere and all that kind of stuff. So, I knew it was gonna be a huge movie.

2. Can you tell me about your character, Mikaela?
    FOX She's a kid. She came from the "wrong side of the tracks". She had a difficult family life. She's a tough girl. She's a tomboy. She likes to work with cars. She's not your typical girly girl. She just gets sucked into this whole world completely by accident.

3. How does Mikaela meet Sam?

FOX Sam gives Mikaela a ride home. And that's sort of how the relationship starts, as acquaintances. And one day I see him running, freaking out. Soon after, he was gracious enough to give me a ride home and I follow him and I find out he's running from giant robots that are trying to kill him. And so then, obviously, now I'm stuck in the middle and I have to sort of help protect him, and vice versa.

4. On working with Shia

FOX I think it's safe to say Shia is one of the funniest people, just naturally, that I've ever met. It's hard to get through scenes with him sometimes though, because he's so good at improv and he gets funnier and funnier as he goes. It's hard for me to stick to the script and try to not laugh 'cause I get in trouble, because we won't ever make it through a scene.

5. What can audiences expect to see?

FOX They want to see the explosions and they want to see the robots and they want to see the helicopters and the jets. And they want to see the action, and they want to see Michael Bay's style of directing, because, aesthetically, he's the best. He's a phenomenal director that way. To your eye, it's just incredibly pleasing.

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Michael Bay

What was your first reaction when you saw the whole finished piece all together?

Well, it’s, that’s not really far cause I see it way early when it’s totally crap, you know when there’s stuff that’s not there and, and then what I do with my process is I then cut it more and then I’ll then I’ll put it in front of like 30 kids. And then I’ll do another group of 30 kids. And they’ll tell you whatever what they feel, and I don’t go up, I have somebody who will personally do a focus group and it helps you in the editing process. But then when I saw it when the real audience, I think it was 450 people and there was major laughter and major applause, I’m like WOW. They like this movie? That’s how you always feel about your movie. Its like you know, you just want to know a movie works, you know. So I think it’s been very fun. I’ve seen it now in Australia and Korea and I know this is a long answer, but I’ve seen it in Australia, Korea, Italy, United States and the audiences are all laughing and applauding in the same places.

Is the human aspect of the film important to you?

It has to be cause you, you have to focus, ground your story in someone’s human story. You know, so I think it’s the most important part.

Obviously around the world there are millions of fans of the original transformers, what do you think their reaction will be?

Well, right now, as you probably saw on the Internet, “Death to Michael Bay”, “Michael Bay, you wrecked my childhood”, “Why are you changing the robots?”, and now when they see the movie, they’re like “Thank you Michael Bay”, “We love the movie”. You have to reinvent it so it’s it could hold up on a big movie screen. Make it fresh. So that was just my vision for it, so I’ve seen enough fans around the world that are really liking it.

So you are working with Steven Spielberg, I gather when he saw the finished article, his reaction was great?

Well, yeah we’ve, I first bought him into the edit room when I showed him, he wanted to see the whole movie when it was done, and I said “c’mon, just see a scene”, so I showed him a scene and he started slapping me on the leg you know, this is my idol, slapping me on the leg and laughing. I’m like “what are you laughing at?” and he’s like “I have never seen robots do this, I’ve never seen this”, I said “well you invented dinosaurs” and he was “but I’ve never seen robots do this”. So, when he saw the end product, you know it still needed work, but he was just amazed about the heart of the movie.

The effects were jaw-dropping, is it true that each frame took thirty eight hours to render?

Well, that’s if you have three robots in a frame, cause they are so complicated, just in terms of the way, its called ray-tracing, with the light and how it bounces around these robots. The robots are made, average about 10,000 parts per robot, which is the largest digital models ever made cause they have to actually move, so you know, my thing with effects is, is, is, I push to make them very realistic, you know and how they fit into the scene. Lot of effects are very, kind of what you call they’re lit-bad, they’re pastel, they look fake. I work really hard to make it look really really real.

The human interaction is a key point in the film, how important is this aspect to you?

Yeah, it puts it you know, the humans for us, that’s our, the audience is watching them and it’s a way that draws us in to you know, these gigantic things, and it gives you scale and it just make it more involving I think.

Shia LaBeouf is playing an iconic role in the movie, what did you make of his performance?

I mean, I think, he’s like a young Tom Hanks and he’s really going to break out after this, I think he’s got the everyday, everyman kind of quality. Ummm, he’s got a great thing going on with his eyes, and you just see the window to his soul, so well. He’s really funny, so he’s going to go quite far.

(Interviewer) - Yeah exactly, we’ve got the Indiana Jones and stuff coming up for him as well which is, are you going to be quite keen to follow that progress?

Yeah, but I will know that I broke him.

(Interviewer) - It’s quite a nice thing to see.

That’s right

As far as the franchise goes there is potential to make another movie from this. Is this something that you’ll be considering?

Yeah, I mean, you know, we want to start working on a sequel right now, so we’ll see.

How long did it take to make the film?

About a year and a half on this, about a year and a half, cause it is just the amount of artists that have to draw and like you know, conceptualize, it’s a lot of work yeah.

What is your favorite aspect or scene from the film?

Well, I, I just, people walk out of the movie and they say, “I’ve never seen anything like that” cause it looks different, it’s something totally new and different for the summer.

Finally, what transformer would you be?

I have no idea what I would say to this

(Interviewer) - Got you down as a sports car man?

I would be like a Ferrari

6. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

nice stuff man we've been waiting to long already for this film to be released here only another 15 more days to go ......ahhh thats ages away :( 

7. TF@TM

TF@TM Lucky Draw Collector

News Credits:
    Cool, did you actually get to talk to them, or were the interviews via Way To Blue's interviews?

We got to speak to Lorenzo at the Junket in London, so I'm guessing this was from then.

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    These were actually provided via Way to Blue. Questions that they had set up for them.

9. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Would you like me to make you a bit more happy? (I'm in the UK too and chomping at the bit to see this movie!)

There hasn't been a big announcement yet, but there are going to be preview showings on Saturday and Sunday next week (20/21st July). Oh - and I'm going to watch it on Friday because I have to "check the print is OK" after all the riff raff (sorry - customers) have gone home. Being the projectinist at this humble establishment is such a hard life! ;) 

:D 

10. sannman

sannman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    bay don't make us wait transformers 2008 !!!! thats the new campaign Im starting lets make it happen people!!!

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Just 12 months to make a movie like TRANSFORMERS 2???
    No thanks! I'd rather wait and have it be good...

12. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Yeah, apparently there are preview screenings a week early, although I reckon I'll wait until the initial rush eases a little. Although it's funny, the number of my mates (both male and female) who are now coming up to me and saying 'when are you going? We want to come with you!' It's even more so when you'd never have them pegged as a TF fan to start with... :D 

Thanks for the interviews, Joe; looking forward to more UK launch coverage! :thumb 

13. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Even more scary was when I went to see Ocean's 13 last weekend with my family, and, following the Transformers trailer, my mum and dad turned to me and said "Wow that looks amazing - we have to go and see that" to which I had to respond "Who are you and what have you done with my parents?!"

:p 

14. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

My mum is so excited for the movie, especially after how awesome I told her it was after seeing it at Botcon.

15. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:

Oh man, I sincerely feel for you. Just 2 more weeks and you will be able to see it, buddy :wink: 

Let us know what you thought of it!

16. sannman

sannman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its a slogan to support bay and dreamworks we all know damn well TF2 ain't coming out next summer !!!! come on with all that its not that deep ! I just say we get behind the studio and let them know they go our support and we're lookin 4 the next one 2 be 10 times colder than the first. if u gota better slogan let me know cause Im getting t-Shirts !!!

17. Scourge_151

Don't know if this has been reported before but the movie is actually out on the 21st now (i.e. this weekend), I guess they wanted to avoid being released on the same day as the Simpsons movie.

18. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Just previews though aren't they? I'm not sure that's everywhere...

19. Scourge_151

It's in every cinema I've checked so far, and they've moved the Simpsons up to the 25th as well according to ads.
    Its a WAR!!!

*edit* it does say on the cinewolrd site that there are previews on the 21st, 22nd and 26th, but that's a pretty widespread preview when that's true of Cineworld, Showcase and Vue cinemas.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  20. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay: