TFW2005 Coverage Of Toy Fair 2017 Hasbro Investor Event

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Feb 17, 2017.

1. MartyFeeb

MartyFeeb Wait... it's a bug?!

News Credits:
    :lol 

When you disagree with someone, and you call them names? Yeah, it kind of mocks you more than the person you're insulting.

We can disagree - but you, sir, reduce this fandom to a foaming, nerd creature that people avoid. And intelligent insults aside (kudos on word choice, btw), I would have rather appreciated an intelligent counterpoint. But if it suits you fine to insult everyone, go ahead. I'm really not bothered by your remarks, sorry! :eek: 

(Unless you were being "funny" or "ironic". I don't know. Your lack of words make your intentions as unclear as your remark. But if you're curious - the quoted word choice is by Jay Sherman! ;) )

Duke: "Didn't you say it was a mixture of fantasy and crap?"
    Jay: "YES! I dubbed it, 'Fanta-crap!'"

I don't disagree the dragon concept is interesting... but MOST KIDS? You may be right... but without actual studies or numbers to back that up, it's mere opinion. The fantasy aspect of fiction... does it really outsell other fiction? I'm just saying there are other things to transform into, and thus far, the dragons feel shoehorned and unnecessary (as you mentioned in Prime). Dinosaurs, I submit, are far more popular with kids: because they actually existed! They have a mythic, real life quality.

Anyway, let's just see these dragons sell - because the lot of you are WRONG! If the dragon TFs sold so well in the past, tell me why we haven't seen more! Common logic dictates they had low to moderate sales, forcing Hasbro to move onto other toy ideas. Again, there haven't been too many dragons sold in the 30+ yrs of TF history... is that mere coincidence? Everyone keeps telling me kids love dragons, but the sales history doesn't seem to match that at all.

And for the record: someone please elaborate how many dragon toy lines we have right now. Either we have a lot (and I missed them in the toy aisle), or we need a lot more (to match how popular dragons are). OR, maybe I'm right: maybe dragons are kind of lame, and the sales data will match that? :eek: 

2. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun TFW2005 Supporter

I have to look for it later. My work computer blocks a lot of pics. It was posted on a thread somewhere just the other day, lol.

3. MartyFeeb

News Credits:
    I didn't think the new Predaking added much to the Prime show. And as a toy, I felt it was kind of lame. I guess because it stood out badly, imo. If you made an entire toy line of JUST DRAGON TFs, maybe that would work better... but meh. Maybe you're completely right about it: maybe I just don't care for dragons.

But in my defense, I never see dragons in toy aisles - so maybe only a FEW people care about them. Because the shocking negativity toward my disinterest (or rejection) of dragon TFs is imbalanced here.

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    If that dragon figure is fully articulated, I might bite, looks fun. If it's a brick, hell no. Lost money Hasbro.

It's a damn shame if that leader Optimus pictured is just a repaint, I mean hell this was AMPLE opportunity to use the Armor Knight retooling from Takara.

I suspect within the next 24 hours we are going to see more unofficial leaks. I mean a few hours ago some kid posted a video review of voyager Optimus. Then we saw Onslaught in vehicle mode.

If Hasbro wants to up to ante they'll reveal everything tomorrow at Toy Fair and render any future leaks irrelevant by beating the leakers to the punch.

Hah but we know Hasbro, they won't.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MartyFeeb

News Credits:
    Yeah! I just realized that from the Twinferno RID thread! :lolol 

But I think I meant LEADER or VOYAGER type dragons. The G1 dragons weren't as bad... there was one, right? Snapdragon... and Twinferno. TWO.

You know why they bothered me less? The designs felt original and fresh. The current Hasbro dragons are too classic and in-style. They look like a generic fantasy novel, imo. The extra 2 heads helps a little, but not much.

Wow, though. Can you believe my dragon angst garnered SEVEN negative replies? :lol  :lol  :lol  I wasn't sure if I insulted dragons or an entire race of fans! :eek: 

Guys, I'm sorry for insulting dragons. I see now that it has offended a bunch of you. I will retract my negative, anti-dragon statements. It was not correct of me to express a contrary opinion to what some of the vocal board members feel toward dragons. :(  Homogeneity, after all, is a sign of a healthy, intelligent TF community! :thumb 

6. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wait, but the the new Predaking in the Prime show was part of a line of Dragons, Beast Hunters had all the Predacons be dragons and all the Autobot/Decepticon become beast-like with new mold details. How did he standout?

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro prioritise cars and things, so chances are not many of them are used to designing dragons.

Dragon Transformers tend to be fairly basic as a result;
    - Wings on the back
    - Back legs form feet
    - Front legs form hands
    - Dragon head hidden on back

The dragons could be popular similar to the Dinosaurs, but they come in and out of popularity.

Predaking was the only character developed and the only dragon toy in the line given a voyager and Leader/Ultimate class release.

Where?

8. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You are just spamming the thread at this point.

• Like Like x 8
  9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I fail to see how the idea of robot that turn into dragons is any more shoehorned and necessary then any other crazy idea the brand has come up with since G1 and trust me when compared to them the idea of dragon formers is by far the least weird thing to come out of transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's some cognitive dissonance between "why do they keep forcing dragons" and "if they sold well we'd see more".

• Like Like x 3
  11. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Wait a minute! We were looking for TF names. What if it's an Arthurian name?

What if that's a G and an O on either side:
    DRAGONSTONE

@Scorpio Yo!

• Like Like x 7
  12. StarEpsilon

StarEpsilon New Member

Anyone recognize this figure?

upload_2017-2-17_14-29-22.png

13. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

You might try to contribute to discussions without making your posts sound like your opinion is right. You'd get less negative responses that way.

I never once said dragons are interesting. I actually think dragons are pretty overused in fiction. And the winged ones make no evolutionary sense. But I like seeing different things in Transformers, so I always try to give everything a chance.

As for what I meant about them in TFP, they were literally forced upon the writers by Hasbro. That show had a lot of excecutive meddling, infighting, budget complications, not to mention how the writers deliberately tried to disconnect the show from WFC and FOC, making unnecessary plot holes.

Back on topic, you really seem to be taking your experiences of what you see in stores near you as a definitive example of how TFs sell. For example, I could barely find any Predacons or Dinobots from the BH or AoE line, but their wavemates were in abundance. It all depends on the area.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Looks like the front and the side of optimus g1

15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    That's a good catch. It does tie in nicely to the Arthurian theme TLK has going.

16. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    okay part of the legend of merlin is he can turn into a dragon so maybe? so if so he would be a pretender and all his magic would be cybertronin tecnologey, as for names.

predaking, twinferno, grimwing, skylynx, tryptacon(there was a rumor a while ago that stated he would be in the movie along with vectorprime and e.g hotrod) theres lot of beasts that have cool dragonish names.

after what we have seen latly i was kinda bumed about the movie line but the thought of a new leader class megatron makes me very very happy

17. SpectrumBelle

SpectrumBelle Trans-fembot Extraordinaire

Pretty sure it's just generic MP-10-inspired art.

• Like Like x 3
  18. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce (((Prime)))

There ya go!

Actually, the sentiment was real, but I was more aiming for snark than trying to engage in a discussion. Mostly because I was on my lunch break. And secondly? Jay Sherman quotes aside...if you're willing to degenerate an entire genre of storytelling (in many ways the first genre of literature) by claiming it only appeals to fourteen year old girls? What can I really say other than be snarky?

If you want a counter-argument though? Here ya go.

Fantasy literature forms the basis of literary canons all over the world. From Europe to the Middle East to Africa to Asia to the pre-contact Americas. The earliest stories we have are mythology. IE fantasy.
    And dragons are key elements in many of those stories.

The Last Knight is going for, well, a medieval knight theme. The last film gave Optimus a knightly look and name-dropped a group of knights he belonged to. Same with the Dinobots. All of the Dinobot robot modes drew on medieval European knight armour. Even Drift. He had a samauri aesthetic. And if you look at Japanese history? The samauri served the same role in Japan as knights did in medieval Europe.
    This film looks like it's going to pick up that thread and run with it.

So in that context? It makes total sense for this movie to draw on medieval European fantasy tropes. Beowulf, Arthur, and the like. Dragons fit right in with that.

So like dragons or not, it's entirely thematically appropriate for this movie and its toyline.

I dare say the dragons will be more thematically appropriate here than they were in Prime. The dragons in the latter were tacked on for the final season by a new Hasbro exec who wanted nothing to do with the planned third season. Of course the idea didn't work because it was slapped together at the last minute!
    Here? Well as I've pointed out. The knight theme was planted back in the last movie. They've been working with it since this movie first began production. So whatever role the dragon- or dragons -play will work more organically with the rest of the story.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like a Leader Megatron, a new Hound and maybe a new Drift.

The new Voyager Optimus is still my favorite figure we've seen so far, but I'm optimistic I'll see more that catch my eye.

• Like Like x 2
  20. eagc7

eagc7 NO TF5 SPOILERS

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Would like if they could announce the director of the Bumblebee movie.

• Like Like x 3