TFW2005 Coverage Of Hasbro 2017 4th Quarter And Full Year Financial Results

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I love how people are ignoring the fact that this line tanked hard at retail. Walmart target etc... they won’t buy as much next time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Yes, it tanked so hard at retail that Hasbro was able to deliver on expectations to shareholders.

• Like Like x 7
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I love how people claim ignorance of others whilst themselves blatantly ignoring the facts and making baseless statements.

Got plenty of all three at my Wal Mart.

These threads are always just the best. It just goes to show how ineptly disconnected from the business side of the franchise fans are when they see these reports and regardless of what the end result is, their answer is always, without fail "well if I had gotten what I wanted it would've been even better." Then when actual business missteps or mistakes are made, there's still no proper discussion or criticism because it's still the same canned, anecdotal diatribe repeated no matter the subject matter. "Yeah, well in MY area..." and "If they'd focused on X and not that shitty Y their profits would've been even higher..."

Yeah, actually.

Because why the hell stick around if there's nothing remotely interesting for you in this brand? It's not like you're never allowed to come back once the line changes in ways that better suit you. You're acting like you and Hasbro are somehow personally committed to each other on an individual level and obligated to maintain a consistent relationship. You're not. All you're doing is torturing yourself, crying impotently for change that's not coming. And if it does, it'll have nothing to do with anything you've said or done.

Like, why even bother? It's not like Transformers is an underground foreign brand. You'll know when the next shift in quality and aesthetics comes around even if you're not checking TF sites every day.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
  4. Terradives

Again hasbro delivered. Target and Walmart extremely doubtful.

5. Terradives

I love how people blatantly take one piece of information and claim everything was roses and then they make baseless statements on other people’s completely and fully justified statements.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Where's your justification, then? Where's your evidence that it "tanked?" Anecdotal stories? The line did just fine at my location. Hell it out-did both RID and TR.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Honestly, I'd be more into Star Wars if their figures were better. I love almost all of their vehicles and playsets but going back to when I was a kid, I eventually lost interest in them because the figures didn't have the same poseability and play like the 3/1/2 inch Joes and it's the same in the present. Small figures, usually no waist swivel or double joined elbows and knees. The bigger six plus inch figures have tons of poseability but I can't stick those figs in an AT-AT so why bother?

• Like Like x 2
  8. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro CEO deflects question on Mattel talks: 'We first and foremost are investing in our business'

9. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Well said! The longer I have been a fan, the more content I am with not everything, or very little even, being my cup of tea.

I don't care for any of the current television shows or the Machinima series. The Last Knight was my least favorite the films. I haven't bought or downloaded a Transformers game in years, and I'm perfectly fine with all of this. Sooner or later there will be some fiction I enjoy more.

And I like the current Generations and The Last Knight toys for the most part, but even if I didn't I wouldn't get upset. I'd just accept it and start collecting again once something did snag my interest.

Hasbro doesn't owe me anything, and I don't owe them more than what I have given.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly, i was about to reply to him until i saw this, hit the nail right on the head.

I mean the movies aren't the best or anything, but what the hell? It's Transformers, the films aren't for us, they are for every day movie goers and kids...with little nods here and there that only we will see/hear. If this was the only Visual representation of the characters with no cartoons backing it up i'd understand the hate but we literally have over 30 years of material plus new material around the corner. I can't think of many, if at all franchises from the 80's that even come close that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've still yet to see a Legion Dragonstorm figure in the stores or for a reasonable price online.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shepard Prime

Not only that, TLK updated and overhauled a majority of the AoE figures for the better while also giving us new figs altogether. That's why I don't get why this dude on Reddit said the TLK toys were shit but AoE's were awesome when almost all of those toys were slightly or heavily redone for TLK while giving us brand new toys in Nitro Zeus, a superior Barricade, two size classes Megatron, Cogman etc.

13. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    I completely agree. The TLK figures were leaps and bounds better than AOEs figures. The AOE figures were, more or less, based off of the promotional/concept art of the robots while the TLK figures were a bit more movie accurate. Although, let’s not go too far with that “a superior Barricade” statement. Sorry, but the TLK Barricade is probably the most underwhelming figure in the line.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shepard Prime

Yup. At least if you can't be constructive and/or less overly hyperbolic (dare I say entitled) about it.

I mean, you have the movies, the cartoons, the comic books (and tons of prior fiction to either get into/revisit or collect/play with). If in all of that you can't find *something* to be invested in then it does no good to stay around and get an aneurysm over it. It's called being an adult.

In short, when you step in sh!t, you don't stomp down on it repeatedly to punish it, you walk away.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Well, I guess we'll find out just how Transformers does at the end of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shepard Prime

:)  You didn't like the new Barricade? I give it props if for no other reason that he doesn't have those weird chicken legs and funky waist the originals did.

17. AOEGalvatronRox

News Credits:
    It’s an okay toy, however I think my reason for disliking him is essentially the vehicle mode. His vehicle mode in the film is a badass looking Saleen Mustang, yet the vehicle used for his toy is just a generic looking car that looks like a Ford. It’s kinda ugly in my opinion. And there isn’t much going on in the robot mode. For instance, previous deluxe Barricade figures were sort of able to recreate the “deformed chest” look of his robot mode. The DOTM deluxe, especially, was able to recreate this pretty well. Yet his TLK figure doesn’t even do that. I guess my gripes are nit picky and petty, but his toy could’ve been a bit better than what we actually got.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I highly doubt it's that. This is sometimes discussed in the Star Wars toys thread on this board. As someone that went hard collecting Star Wars from 2007-2012, myself and many others stopped collecting the 3.75 line after Hasbro scaled back. By TFA, nearly all the progression with figures/vehicles in 3.75 scale was done away with by a return to 5POA 1978 style figures and smaller than usual vehicles. The sculpting for the figures was good. Everything else, no. It's similar to a line such as POTP reverting to figures with 1984 G1 articulation yet modern sculpts. Most Hasbro figure brands suffered after 2011 but Transformers began a slow climb back. Star Wars suffered the most. Hasbro seemingly killed the 3.75 line in an effort to sway collectors to the 6" line.

In my area, TLK all around did not start getting scarce until the holiday season. Maybe TLK did as expected for Hasbro. However, I don't think retailers will be ordering as much movie TF's in the future(unless Hasbro convinces them that the Bumblebee movie will be awesome). I think one of the reasons the movie got pushed back to December is so that Hasbro can maximize toy sales since toys sell most during the holidays. I believe that choice was deliberate.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Shepard Prime

That's fair. I just wanted to know. The Saleen in the movie is badass I agree.

20. AOEGalvatronRox

News Credits:
    Rather ironic you say this given the majority of the people who dislike the movies want every new iteration of Transformers to either be straight up or based off of G1. The people who “dislike the films and are waiting for something new” more or less can’t let go of a thirty year old cartoon and expect everything to be completely based off of said cartoon.

• Like Like x 3