2D Artwork: TFW2005 anniversary contest entry WIP

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Gilgamesh, May 8, 2010.

1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Boombox contest entry (Completed)

(If i understood correctly, we are allowed to post WIPs here in the fanart section. If this was not the case, please let me know)

Well, I decided to participate in this and I'm trying something new. I'll try to do boombox with a War for Cybertron vibe to it.

This is the first rough sketch, and I'll update this from here. I accept all criticism and suggestions, everything ranging to color choices and proportions are welcome, especially at this early stage.

EDIT 1: I've attached an example of the style I'm trying to use. This hand is by no means finished, it's just a quick test of what I'm trying to achieve, but I'm kind of satisfied with it. All it would need is extra details and trimming the visible imperfections and it should be OK.

EDIT 2: It's been a busy weekend, so i haven't worked much on it, but here's what I have so far. To give you an idea, when I finish the whole body with these gradients, it'll be ready for textures, and then manual detailing (extra shadows and lights, tiny details, battle damage, etc). The final stage is coloring and effects. I hope it's worth it in the end!

EDIT 3: I'm done with the basic shapes; that was the boring part. Now comes the textures, details and color!. I made the legs a bit longer and the torso shorter.

EDIT 4: I advanced a bit on the drawing today: added lights and shadows over the textures (which i added yesterday) and I'm currently adding more color details. The glowing lights give it that War for Cybertron feel, but I guess it could have a bit more neon in other areas. Other than that I'd say it's near completion.

FINAL: Ok, it's complete now. I'm posting it in the Contest section now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Not too bad-looking, if I say so myself. :) 

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Looks pretty funky so far. Just remember that, although you're allowed to take liberties, he's supposed to look like either the G1, Animated or Movie Boombox character..at least, that's what the rules say - you might want to ask somebody involved.

It would be awful if you'd spend alot of time on this piece only to get disqualified. :( 

4. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    One of the questions asked in the rules thread said that it was OK to take some liberties as long as it resembled the original Boombox, so i guess it'll be OK. Besides I'll only take some details off the WFC art style, I intend the final result to still be mainly G1-esque.

Even if it's disqualified, it should be fun to experiment on a new style for me ^^

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    We are allowing people to take some artistic liberties so long as it is mainly based on one of the existing versions.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Ok, sweet!

7. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    EDIT 1: I've attached an example of the style I'm trying to use. This hand is by no means finished, it's just a quick test of what I'm trying to achieve, but I'm kind of satisfied with it. All it would need is extra details and trimming the visible imperfections and it should be OK.

8. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

Hey gilgamesh, I was wondering, do you have a deviantart account? I really like your rendering style. That single hand looks so well done, I'm actually kind of stumped as to how you shaded it in photoshop.

9. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    Well, I do have a deviantart but you won't find similar work, since this is a new style I'm experimenting on (discovering new drawing styles is one of my only great joys in life).

Here it is: Vhoyos on deviantART

If you want to know how I did it, it's rather simpler than it looks, so i'll share: I just paint each "piece" of the hand on gray gradients, then change the lighting on shadows and lights as I see fit. Then I overlay a metallic texture over it. Then you just add extra shadows and light details to make it look more natural. Once assembled to my liking, i just play with Hue/saturation to get the desired colors, then play with the color replacer to give it colored shadows and lights. It sounds way more complicated than it really is, and the result is rather enjoyable.

It's my first work using this method, so if it turns out looking really good (which I hope it does) I could make a simple tutorial so everyone can do it.

10. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

\

I look forward to that.

11. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    EDIT 2: It's been a busy weekend, so i haven't worked much on it, but here's what I have so far. To give you an idea, when I finish the whole body with these gradients, it'll be ready for textures, and then manual detailing (extra shadows and lights, tiny details, battle damage, etc). The final stage is coloring and effects. I hope it's worth it in the end!

12. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Woa that looks great man! Can I use your concept art and make it into 3d?

13. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    Sure thing, but I don't know if you'd be able to submit it by the contest's rules.

14. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is Awesome

15. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

just an artistic question. How did you color it?

16. yongkykun

I'm not a contestant. I just want to do it for my portfolio. Once it's done, I can email you the picture for YOUR portfolio. It's a win-win :D 

17. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    I draw all my stuff in gray shades, then play around with the Hue/Saturation tool, multiple layers, Eraser and Color replacer.

By all means, go ahead if you like the design :thumbs2: 

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Looking awesome.

19. Gilgamesh

News Credits:
    EDIT 3:Posted the next preview. I'm done with the basic shapes; that was the boring part. Now comes the textures, details and color!. I made the legs a bit longer and the torso shorter.

20. yongkykun

Looking good. Love the shading! Personally though, the legs still look a bit short in comparison to its body, I think.