TFW The Last Knight User Reviews (Post all reviews here) (Assume SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Smashs, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie despite feeling burned by the previous three. My thoughts seem to be the opposite of yours in that AoE was possibly my favorite whilst this one is just above ROTF. In fact, I think that a major part of why I was disappointed with this one was because I liked the last one so much and hoped that this one would keep up everything I liked about it. Seems like keeping your expectations low is the right way to go so you don't get burned the way many of us did. Though I did recently rewatch TLK, and my opinion of it has gone up a bit.

That said, it's a shame that I even have to say that. I wish I didn't have to have low expectations to enjoy movies of my favorite franchise, and that we could all get the awesome movies that Transformers deserves.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    We're definitely in agreement that the worst part of all of these is having to set expectations low to enjoy them.

But I'm glad you enjoyed AoE, where I didn't. Different strokes for different folks!

3. Chandler Prime 24

Chandler Prime 24 Member

Does anyone me knows w where I cAn find the one of those Grey autobot hats michael bay is always wearing ? Not on eBay or amazon.

4. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Lots of corny dialogue (i.e. Sam), lots of bad dialogue (i.e. Jazz). Plot points that make no sense (i.e. Megatron's removal from ice and transport to the desert). Actually, most of the plot can be torn apart without a whole lot of effort. Scenes that go from daylight to nighttime in one minute. Characters doing weird things, such as Sam's best friend climbing a tree for no reason. Or Optimus Prime running through the streets while trying to hide from the authorities. Or Sam trying to sell antiques to his classmates.

It's a fun movie and it has a lot of cool moments, but as a movie, there's enough "huh?" moments in it that I can't outright say it's a good movie.

EDIT: let me mention that while I don't think it's a good movie, I am a big fan of it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Well after a third viewing I figured I'll go ahead and drop my full 2cents in here. For the record I rate the other movies accordingly:

Tf1 -8.5/10
    DOTM - 7.5/10
    AOE - 7.4/10
    ROTF - 6/10

The Last Knight - 5/10

It had it's moments:
    Autobot Junkyard
    Beginning fight scene
    Suicide Cons
    Megatron
    Quintessa
    Hot Rod
    Autobots charge the ignition chamber
    Infernicus
    Bee vs Prime

Everything else, which still makes up 80% of the movie, just straight up sucks. It's like... where do I even begin?

First off, the editing. The editing is freaking horrendous for a professional film. I've seen far worse films with better editing than what this movie had. So many jump cuts of different character narratives that it's easy to loose your audience, which is probably why no one is giving this movie the time of day, because their friend who did see the movie had no clue what had just happened!

The pacing. Jesus Christ there was no pacing in this movie. None whatsoever. There will be scenes that go from being slow paced, to OMYGODFAST...then just end. And it mainly had to do with scenes that were utterly useless[the drone chase sequence, the "mini jetfire" awkwardly appearing only to fall over and then never reappear again, I could go on].

The action scenes: one of the most disappointments in this film were that the action scenes were, for the most part, boring. The only 2 scenes in the movie that entertained me, albeit not for long, was bumblebee doing his Kinect trick at the beginning and his fight with optimus...the latter of which was not only 99% shown through all trailers and tv spots, but was constantly interrupted by scenes of humans.

Then we have continuity. THE worst thing about this movie. So suddenly unicron is earth? Why NOW is his horns raising? And why is everyone acting like it's the first time cybertron is coming to earth? Where's the seed? Why is quintessa randomly on cybertron? Where are the other dinobots? Where's Joshua Joyce? Where did bee get his new ability? Why doesn't optimus remember him talking in TF1? How did Galvatron become Megatron? And spare me the bullshit of how it's all "implied". The HELL it is. Period.

You got completely useless characters[izzy, sqeaks, cades assistant(idk his name since they never bothered fleshing him out more beyond a comic relief token black guy), wheelie, fucking 95% of decepticons for fucks sake, and then random transformers like autobot scrapper or mini jetfire, and you know what, even fucking COGMAN is useless too. Do we really need a human sized robot that I guess we can call a transformer headmaster taking up valuable bot time? I sure as fuck think not. His presence was purely for comedic relief, the likes of which other useless, pointless characters were already trying to fulfill].

We were promised so much better than this. And as someone who absolutely loved every film until this one, I have to say this film not only fails as a movie but fails ME as a fan of this franchise. 5/10 is me being genuinely generous. I want to give it a 3 but because I find at least some enjoyment out of it, I'll leave it at 5. All I know is, Bay better never come back. And that bi..whateverthehellhisnameis who apparently clashed two stories together needs to be shown the door.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, but especially these parts. Every movie I've watched since this, I find myself paying more attention to the editing and the pacing. It's shocking how bad TLK was on these, compared to pretty much everything else out there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Not enough Simmons.

The movieverse needs the Witwicky family back.

More onscreen transformations.

Ok, for some characters it's more like ANY onscreen transformations.

Otherwise the movie'll do.

I want Quintessa's figma or figuart.

And a cherry on top.

9. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    In addition to my critique of the film, there are scenes missing/lines replaced in different versions and I can't help but wonder who the hell thought that was a good idea? Why not have one consistent version so no one gets left out? Makes me wonder which version will be on the DVD.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MEGATRON__210

MEGATRON__210 Well-Known Member

Watched again. Turns out I went to refill my drink when hot rod was introduced so mystery solved for me. Really cool just surprised he had a French accent

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gallade

Gallade I just want my Japanese characters

By the way, the part where Hot Rod says,"She's very difficult", was that Omar Sy by any chance? It sounded nothing like him at all.

12. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogie Land

News Credits:
    Sounds like some early Mark Ryan dialogue they couldn't be bothered to change.

13. Gallade

jfc..

14. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow some even said TFTM2007 sucks more?
    Come on...

15. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you a fan. I will be hard to admit that this is shit. I'm glad Bay is over. I would have seen Bay a good last TF movie but if he did made a good one then he will then make another and another F this. Its bad to admit but I'm happy this is over.

16. xRLxSEEKER

xRLxSEEKER Member

My final verdict is the movie is ok. The story really is terrible but the characters have a lot of personality, the human performances are bad but every single transformer has something that makes them memorable. Except for maybe the 12 knights and infernocus. They're just combiners. And quintessa is just bad because shes bad. But other than that. Even Daytrader has personality. Although he was voiced by Steve Buscemi but I digress. The action scenes are well shot but it felt as though they never ended on a proper note except for the final scene. Which still felt odd in the way it had ended. The humor is hit and miss. The use of the word "shit" sometimes feels as though its used properly and other times it felt very tacked in there. I bring it up only because I had noticed that word in particular was used quite a bit. Another problem I had was they had seem to hype up Evil Optimus (or Nemesis Prime as to what he is referred to in the film) Now the concept was neat, but it didn't feel fleshed out at all. I would've loved to see Nemesis Prime be on the hunt for Bee and Cade instead of Megatron. And Megatron be the one to have to stop the former autobot hero. Characters such as Isabella Moner's feel rather tacked on as a last minute way for younger people to feel a connection, but I guarantee if you eliminate her and Squeeks from the story, not much would change. Same with the dude Cade hired. I dont remember who he is, but there didn't seem to be a reason for him being there. Now back to Quintessa for a minute, story wise she doesn't make sense, and character wise she doesn't make sense. I get the need to have a creator of the transformers but she really is just another one note villain that is stopped at the end of the day. I mean she makes Prime go bad for 10 minutes, she gets the staff and then gets foiled. Her character wasn't interesting. Where were her motives besides "I want cybertron back." I'm serious. Why cant she be more interesting. The most interesting villain by far has been Sentinel Prime but thats because there was more to him. It was a last minute effort to save his home. An autobot teamed up with the decepticons but putting aside his differences for a common cause. In this its all boils down to "I'm evil". Even Megatron was more fleshed out, and he again was placed at the helm of being a minion. You see why he is helping Quintessa, he wants cybertron his home back. You see that when he was talking to Lennox about wanting to go home. He has wanted that for five films now. It isn't anything new but it is consistent. He even picked up Starscream's head in remorse for the older days. He was gonna bring his home back. Even Optimus who I love more than anything was boring. Not quintessa boring. But there was the one line with Megatron. "WE WERE BROTHERS ONCE" "Once". Those 2 seconds of conflict between Megatron and Prime would've made a way better film. I'm serious. This film doesn't know what it was. I would place it under the ROTF category. Its not terrible with action, but the story doesn't make a lick of sense. The characters personalities are great, but there motives and actions feel out of place. Bumblebee being a WWII robot would be awesome if we saw more of it. Its a new twist on Bee we haven't seen but it was literally in the movie for 45 seconds. Where is more of that stuff. Michael Bay has the ability to film amazing action scenes, he really does, but when it comes to story he doesn't understand what is important and what isn't. He doesn't know how to even film dialogue driven scenes right.

There is a bunch more I could write, but I'm gonna leave it at this. The last knight, isn't good. It's ok. But I say that because of the Transformers, and the decently shot action scenes. But other than that this movie to me, feels disjointed, and broken. Combining to many ideas and concept together with a final product that feels as though its 6 movies in one. Its a redbox rental at best. At its worst, its a watch the action clips on youtube. Now before anyone writes a response I want you to remember this is my opinion, and I want you to remember if you liked the film, Fantastic! I'm glad you could enjoy the film more than me. Just remember I'm adding my two cents to see if anyone possibly agrees with me. I hope you have a fantastic day.

• Like Like x 2
  17. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

Before TLK, I liked each new movie more. AOE is still my favorite. TLK is not. I would say it is better than the first and the second but perhaps worse than the third or at least on the same level. In the end I liked the movie but I didn't liked many things about it.

1) One of the reasons AOE is my favorite is because, out of all the movies, I think is the one who perfectly balance the robots and the humans screentime. In AOE there is plenty of character development for the cybertronians (villain included) and plenty of badass scenes for all of them. Of course you can complain about some things (like Drift or the Dinobots never called by name or the lack of transformations on screen) but overall AOE is the movie where the Cybertronians feels more like characters and less as special effects. In TLK, I felt that Hound, Crosshairs and Drift lacked their chances to shine. The scenes at the junkyard are funny but they felt too much like the first and the second movie where Transformers apart from Optimus and Bee were just there to make funny scenes. Hound had a tons of badass moments in the fourth movie, in TLK.. none really. They also lost the chance to explore the characters better (Drift being a former Decepticon could make the character a lot deeper and more interesting rather than just have his inner rage used for comic relief)
    2) The Dinobots are barely in the movie at all, they still don't talk (which lead us to wonder: how did Cade discovered their names? Or did he named them?) and two of them disappeared without explanation. But three baby Dinobots suddenly appeared. Where did they came from? And I expected a lot more from them, especially since they had their own freakin super bowl spot.
    3) Optimus Prime is barely in the movie especially as Nemesis Prime who was promoted as the big hit, the greatest threat... and he barely do anything at all. Evil Optimus literaly appear after the movie is nearly over, fights with Bumblebee and get back to his senses. Where's the sense of threat at all? We immediatly get good Optimus back. I'm not saying that Optimus shouldn't have come back to the light. Of course he has to but not so fast, so suddenly that the characters can barely despare. Prime is the true protagonist of the saga, he can't be in the movie so little. It's even more a pity since I thought this movie did a perfect balance between the badass Optimus of the sequels and the humble one from the first movie.
    4) Megatron did too little as well: like Optimus, I found this movie's to be the perfect movie incarnation of the character. It's not just the awesome look or Frank Welker, this Megatron was closer to the way we always depicted the Decepticon Warlord. And he even finally get some decent character development. Too bad it's totally wasted: so much of him remain a mistery: how did he get his new powers and look, how does he know about Quintessa... and so many moments in the movie were wrong: why the hell does Megatron have to blackmail people to get the Decepticons free? That make him look weak. The real Megatron would have just blasted his way through the prison and killed everyone who stood in his way. That would have make him way more awesome and badass. Having the need to negotiate with humans make Megatron look weak. Just like we could have used much more badass moments for him instead of gettin defeated in a battle of just 45 seconds. Instead of gettin screwed from Hot Rod like that it would have been awesome to see Megatron defeats all the Autobot team except Optimus single-handely like it looked in the trailer.
    5) Decepticons got their chance to be like in Transformers Prime when there was an estabilished team of Decepticons to counter the Autobots, they had their chance to be actual characters instead of just appear to be destroyed by the Autobots... another wasted opportunity. Barricade's moment with Megatron was great and his new look is so cool... but for the rest of the movie he did absolutely nothing. There's not even a proper battle between him and Bumblebee, which is even more delusional given that they made two tv spots about Bee and Barricade fighting. Nitro Zeus was perhaps the greatest delusion: it was promoted to us as basically Six Shot from Transformers Energon and Dreadwing from Transformers Prime combined.. and it turned out to be just the typical Bayverse-bot: barely appears and just says jokes full of bad words. So much wasted potential. And so much misinformation from the trailers and released news. Onslaught was even more wasted: literaly appears just to be killed. Mohawk... does he make sense at all? First why would Megatron wanted Mohawk for his crew when he's clearly a puny weakling? And why does he exists when he is only seen to say jokes full of bad words and then die? It's literaly useless.
    6) From Mohawk, we lead to another big problem with Bay movies: the guy focused too much on lame characters instead of developing his best ones. Wheelie, Jimmy, hell even Lennox and the whole military thing... too much characters that got too much screentime and development compared to the characters we love and want to see. I didn't liked from the beginning the thought of having Lennox and Simmons back. I liked that they were absent in AOE. This is one of the reason the bots in AOE got to have much more screentime: because there was less human cast. Lennox, Simmons and the general should have stayed away from the franchise. And so should have Wheelie since he's another character whome nobody cares and it's just there to say bad words. Jimmy is basically this in human form, another useless annoying character. AOE had Lucas but at least Lucas died after the beginning of the movie. The astronomer was useless and annoying as well.
    7) Ironically, while others focused their hatred for the human cast on Izzy (because she's a girl and every strong girl character apparently is now a SJW plot hole), I found her to be the best human character so much. She remind me so much of Transformers Prime's characters who were the perfect example of how a human cast should be for a Transformers series. I would have much prefer the movie (or the sequels) to actually have her and other kids characters as protagonists. So I found a shame that she actually had much less screentime than expected.
    8) I hated Vivian: faux action girl and annoying
    9) I hated the whole TRF thing: especially because I, instead, loved Harold Attinger and the Cemetery Wind in AOE. Unlike Attinger, Santiago Cabrara's character (who is not even named..) failed to impose himself a good xenophobe villain who hunt Transformers to "keep Earth human". Which is a shame since such a theme would work even better now that we live in the age of Trump. Santiago start as a killer of Transformers who killed a harmless Autobot (who is also the best and only friend to Izzy), then continue to hunt Transformers and he's even willing to kill Cade, Izzy and Jimmy (his own kind). Then suddenly in the end he and his team decide that they were wrong, that the Autobots are the good guys and that they must call off the hunt. WTF????!!!! This make no sense at all! And it make no sense at all for Cade and Izzy to forgive them after all they have done to them (especially Izzy who lost the last thing she called family because of them). Again, Joshua Joyce's development into a good guy was a lot better in AOE.
    10) Speaking of Joshua, where the hell is he? Didn't he promised to help Cade and his family? Then why must Cade live in the shadows like that?
    11) They promised us that this movie would have fixed all the plot holes and gave us a coherent plot. Instead, we got even more plot holes: if Quintessa is a Prime, then is she one of the 13 originals? How since all the original Primes were killed by The Fallen? We saw many Creators in AOE and even Lockdown spoke of them as plurals. Why is there only Quintessa, where are all the Quintessons that there should be? If Quintessa created the Transformers then why did they turned against her and how? And does The Allspark fill in all of this? They even brought Unicron in it which make things even more complicated. Because where there's Unicron, there's also Primus. And how Primus fit into all of this if Quintessa is the maker of the Transformers? And how can characters like Optimus Prime, Megatron or Ironhide (the previous in their more recent armors as well) be showed in the paintings of the Transformers past when Megatron remained frozen until the event of the first movie and Optimus and Ironhide arrived on Earth in the same occasion?
    12) The Knights of Iacon were cool and all but wasted as well. First of all, none of them was nominated, none of them is seen trasnforming except when combining, they barely talk or have proper character development and I don't understand why in the prologue the leader of the knights first talk in cybertronian to Merlin and then he talks in english. I also don't like how they lied about Dragonstorm. Dragonstorm was presented, in the toyline, as a single character rather than the combined form of the knights. Also it doesn't make sense for him to have just three heads if he's the combination of twelve dragons..
    13) Speaking of combiners, here goes another wasted opportunity: Infernocus. I loved the idea of a new combiner and the toys were really cool-looking. But the execution was very poor: first of all Infernocus is really too small for a combiner and I can't see why. Second, I hated that the Infernocons (who don't even get a proper team name) share the same look rather than have any of them a unique designe like the toys where they were really cools. Also it could have used a chance to shine before Optimus defeats him.
    14) How does Bumblebee's voice works? How did he get back his voice? You can't not explain a thing like that.
    15) Poor voice acting: Cogman is the only one among the new characters that get a proper voice actor and it's only because Jim Carter didn't just voiced him, he played him through motion-capture on the set. The others just got John Di Maggio and Frank Welker all over them. And I know that Frank and John could voice the entire cast if asked to, but that's not how it works: each character need his own actor to give him a unique personality. I also disliked Gemma Chan as Quintessa: you can tell she's not a professional voice actress and her voice performance sounds so lame. Hell, she's not even that professional as an actress either. Knowing Michael Bay, he probably casted her only because she's good-looking and because they needed a chinese member in the cast to get a massive hit in China (who is currently the biggest contributor to the movies box offices). Steve Buscemi did decent as Daytrader although gettin the real deal (aka Wreck-Gar and his fellow voices Eric Idle or better yet Weird Al) would have been better.
    16) I didn't liked how most of the characters are invented by Bay: instead of Quintessa, they could have used the Alpha Quintesson. Instead of Nitro Zeus, they could have used Six Shot. Instead of the Mini Dinobots, they could have used the Minicon Dinobots from the G1 toyline. And so on and so forth.
    17) This may not seem a big deal but... come on Mr Bay, now even you have taken on the SJW issue to rewrite history to pretend racism never existed? What the hell is a black man doing among the Knights of King Arthur? Or among the Saxons?
    18) I never liked Hot Rod in the cartoon so I never cared how it would have going to be portrayed in the movie. But the movie version, regardless of my dislike for the character in general, is useless. His only purpose for the plot is to bring Vivian to Sir Edmund's castle which is something that could have been done by Bulldog or Cogman and nothing would have changed. His french accent thing is ridicolous (not in the good sense) and why does he need to tell all the time that his gun stop the time?

In the end, all can be sum up in one phrase: you know it's really bad when Santiago Cabrera or Jimmy get more screen time than Optimus Prime and Megatron. I know I sound like a typical Transformers hater. But I'm not. I love this saga, I love the movies. As I said each one more before this one came. Which is sad, because if this movie doesn't convince even me, a fan of the movies, you know something is wrong. I take the main problem is the editing. In fact, I was deeply concerned when I found out the movie was going to be shorter than AOE. And I was right. I really really hope they are going to release an Ultimate Edition like Batman v Superman. We really could use it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. francesco92

May I remind you that Blackout was killed by humans, the only time that Bonecrusher showed up was when he got killed by Optimus after not really a long battle and that both Starscream and Megatron were bested by mere human airfighters?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Gallade

I watched the movie if you couldn't tell..
    Honestly, I thought the humans were fine because that's when they started learning the weakness of Transformers and shows us evolving, I guess. But again, Bonecrusher still proved himself to be somewhat of a threat nonetheless just like the other Decepticons. That's the thing about the 2007 movie. The movies that came after just has Decepticons that are just cannon fodder.

20. francesco92

My apologies, I did not want to question your memory about the movie. All I wanted to say is that the Decepticons (or the Autobots for that matter) barely got their chances to properly shine in the first movie. Yes, it is very cool when Blackout destroys the military base but then already in the second fight against a Decepticon the human already managed to win. And even if Megatron started as a beast he too is brought to his knees by mere human firepower. Bay's love for US military always stopped him from presenting the Decepticons as the unstoppable treath they should be for "puny fleshthings". At this point, Lockdown in AOE succeeded in imposing himself as more treathening.

• Like Like x 1