TFW The Last Knight User Reviews (Post all reviews here) (Assume SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Smashs, Jun 1, 2017.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Joe, but I agree. They do not even give the 4th/5th movies in a sequel a chance. Just watch how Cinema Snob tore Pirates of the Caribbean V. to pieces, and both me and my brother really liked that movie. It was a fun entertaining adventure movie, like the Indiana Jones movies, like the first three Mummy movies, or like the first and fourth Pirates movies. Nothing more, nothing less. TF5 is the same. I will never list it amongst my favourite movies of all time, but compared to other similar movies... I was never bored or annoyed or disliking the characters. Compare this to the 2017 Mummy where I really wanted something exciting to happen, Assassin's Creed where I literally fell asleep from boredom, or Power Rangers (2017) which just left me with a big "MEH" - I deleted it right after watching it, and even though I watched it last week, most of what I remember still was that Alpha was kind of entertaining and that Rita was needlessly brutal and grimdark.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this was the first time that Optimus felt kind of what he should have always been in these movies - humble and understanding. Y'know, if this was RotF, he would have just massacred the Knights after they attacked him. Instead, he finally has shown humility, accepted his actions in damning both Cybertron and Earth, and was ready to sacrifice his life for his crimes.
    I also liked that unlike in EVERY movie so far, here, the main villain is not defeated by Prime, but by Bumblebee. Felt like a changing of the guard, of sorts. Plus Prime was a character now, not a Deus Ex Machina thrown in by the writer when needed and written out when not (see his cable problems in DotM).

• Like Like x 1
  3. MEGATRON__210

MEGATRON__210 Well-Known Member

Ahh thanks. Rodimus is my favorite character and a bit shocked that he was so missable. I didn't see or hear any "hey hot rod" lines, but the deceptacons got a introductions in the suicide squad scene.

Also, the baby dino bots completey went over my head or the ending cliffhanger from AOE seemed to have zero connection in TLK

4. Galvatross

Galvatross Get shrekt every day! Veteran

Yeah, look how people treat each other and the other species we share our planet with.

Now imagine that with an alien race that can have weapons integrated in its body and can disguise itself as vehicles or machinery or trinkets. I don't think all of humanity would be so tolerant of them, even the good ones.

Furthermore, Cemetery Wind in AOE makes a lot of sense given it was an Autobot in Sentinel Prime and hordes of Decepticons that caused the scores of deaths in Chicago. That would give humans cause to hate both factions. Every enemy combatant before DOTM was a Decepticon, but DOTM changed that.

Now a couple of years later Cybertronians are arriving in waves and getting into scraps into major cities, and there are some no go zones. I suspect humans wouldn't really tolerate them that well.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gallade

Gallade Lost Hope

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure if a meteor fell on your car or anywhere near your property, you wouldn't be like,"woh kewl mane. is a robutt".

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

I just realized that Izzy is a live action version of Miko. Pigtails check. Fearless attitude in the presence of danger check. Talent in stowing away? Check. Interacts with a fat green Autobot that should be named Bulkhead in the first place? Check!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Walktehdinosaur

Walktehdinosaur HI! MY NAME IS [Volleybot]

News Credits:
    Irritating? Check.

8. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

I forget to mention in my review but i hate how the Autobots, despite their close connection for Cade have a lackluster farewell with the humans, before leaving to Cybertron, all they do is wave. I know Cybertron is connected to Earth so they aren't far away but it still angers me. Especially Cade and Bumblebee.

And what, will Wheelie, Brains, the Dinobots and their kids stay on Earth. I get Sqweeks, the Autobots in sanctuary like Volleybot. But the Dinos are still on Earth.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  9. Prime135

Prime135 "Resistance is not futile" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I mean at that point there were presumably hundreds of cybertronians on earth, and as you said, prime is like a two hour flight away via the knight ship...sooooo...

10. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Local homeless call me 'Scumbag Jesus'

yeah i figure part of TF6 will be showing how Transformers and humans are adjusting to life on this new Cybertron/Earth hybrid planet.

Probably better relations than the last 4, cause both races are gonna have to take a breath and cooperate since they're not going away from each other any time soon, or maybe ever again, now that Cybertron and Earth are together like that.

So it'll probably be tense but trending towards a unified Earth/Autobot society while Optimus and his crew work with NEST/TRF/whoever on the Unicron situation until Quintessa and/or Megatron spring something.

So i'd say it ought to flip the formula of these movies around to finish the trilogy. AOE and TLK each started with the Autobots and humans at odds and in shitty situations, eventually finding common ground, while TF6 should start of with a positive and optimistic world thrown into chaos again, which will be the ultimate test of human/Transformer unity and they'll have doubts and spats etc, lives will be lost blah blah, they win, Optimus gives a rousing speech, feelsgoodman.jpeg.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, but you cannot say and honestly believe that this movie had LESS TF-TF interaction and dialogue than the previous ones. For example, in the first movie, we had like one scene where the Autobots talked at the observatory, and at the end, OP and Megs exchanged one-liners. Oh and maybe you want to count the grand total of THREE sentences Starscream says in that movie, two of which he says to Megatron. :p  Please, take off the rose-tinted glasses. TF2007 was bad, you only see it as a good movie in retrospect. Same as how many people think the 1984 G1 show was masterful and great. No, it wasn't. It is an OK saturday morning show, but it is not Batman TAS or Gargoyles, heck it's not even the Real Ghostbusters.

12. BumblebeeNotOP

BumblebeeNotOP Autobot Second-In-Command

News Credits:
    Wandering aimlessly in California as a VW Bug
    For the record, Hound called out "Bee and Hot Rod are down" when Infernocus first shows up

13. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, it's what I said too, after 4 movies, in each of them the villains always die at the end (with the exception of Starscream and Megatron, who survived 2 movies each) this was to be expected. And I prefer that at least these guys got named, and we saw a little of their personalities. The whole audience laughed at the introduction scenes for Mohawk and Nitro Zeus. Compare this with the Dreads in TF3 or the Constructicons and many never named Cons in RotF... heck I don't even remember if Ravage got a name-drop. Devastator only got named because Megatron randomly roars his name when he transformed, I think? TF3 was even worse in this regard... Igor got named but the Dreads did not?

Well, he might be evil, but if you are living on his back alongside all your family and friend, you probably would want to save him. :D 
    This already happened in RID actually, where Megatronus wanted to use his staff to link Primus and Unicron, essentially destroying both Earth and Cybertron, and yes, the Autobots ended up "saving" Unicron to save Earth.
    The movie could have mentioned who or what Unicron is, though - as it was, it felt more like a namedrop for the fans. I guess if they explained him though, people would complain there was too much exposition for something that will only become relevant in the next movie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm not saying about TF1. It has not much TF-TF interactions, I agree, I rewatched it two weeks ago, so I'm not in rose-tinted glasses, be careful choosing words. But TF1 was THE FIRST. It was a base. And filmmakers was worrying, what audience will think about TFs, so they tried to use more standard formula. But you can't disagree, if I say that TF2-4 has much more attention to TFs than TLK. Oh, yeah, and you're just trolling me, you perverted everything I said.

15. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I disagree, TF1 was actually a really really good movie, it just doesn't live up to what you wanted out of a TFs movie. Your complaints about not screen time are valid and the lack of meaningful dialogue is spot on, but the movie as a whole is actually quite good, especially compared to the last two movies.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    It has a lot of problems, more than enough for it to be considered a bad movie. At least, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  17. MEGATRON__210

MEGATRON__210 Well-Known Member

For me, tfs one is still my favorite followed by DSOM . I really miss Shia. He brought a humor that I miss. What was great about tfs was that it introduced tfs to a human world and how that world would realistically respond to a alien robot. THe bond of BB and Sam is what made part one such a great film

18. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:

That was basically my reaction to the movie
    13:12-13:44
    I'm laughing so hard at how accurately Dashie's reaction here summs up mine for the movie! :D :D :D 

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm curious, what bothered you about the movie? Not being combative, genuinely curious.

20. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    (warning, text wall coming up. you can skip to bullet points for TLK-only thoughts)

Okay, quick background... I've been a critic of much of what the movies have to offer over the last 10 years, but will always give praise where deserved.

TF:2007 was overshot and in places needlessly juvenile, but the story was largely coherent and many scenes gave me goosebumps back then. It was the simplest of the bunch (and that's saying something!), had a lot of heart, and also had to go through the growing pains of setting the scene for everything else to come. Anyway, I gave it a B/B- as a summer tent pole film, and an B+ as a hopeful, lifetime TF fan.

The next three seemed to mostly exacerbate the first movie's issues, but didn't gain much for their trouble. Plots got (much) more confounding, character relationships were less important, and even the filmmaking itself seemed to get more and more disjointed with each release (maybe DOTM was better than ROTF, but not by much). I initially said watching Age of Extinction felt like being waterboarded by a movie, and I stand by it. It seemed to pointlessly just go on and on, and I don't think I'll ever watch that one again.

So, despite my better judgement (and because I had a free afternoon), I actually decided to give TLK a chance, and here's what I thought.

- I didn't mind the story leaping around the world, or in time. Despite the cartoonish nature of characters being able to jump half-way around the planet in what feels like minutes, it seemed to actually drive the plot and expand the lore in way that felt necessary (as opposed to AOE doing it to drive Chinese ticket sales). I had no problems following the story of this one either, which is something I've heard a lot of critics cite as a reason to knock it. That said...

- Every set piece is given almost twice as much screen time as is deserved. I can't figure out why the studio doesn't look at a script like this and just cut it in half for the sake of preserving the budget. There are so many extraneous shots and beats to each scene, and they all go by so quickly. As an editor, I can appreciate and follow very quickly cut material, but I think the general audience would have gotten a lot more out of much of the action if some quiet and slow time were used to pace the scenes out better.

- Cast chemistry is excellent. As ever, the actors aren't the ones driving the story (another McGuffin is), and so they get the opportunity to just have a good time. Again, their interactions are often pushed to the point of cartoonishness, but they always seem like they're having a great time with each other, which is appreciable on screen. This leads me to...

- Characters disappearing and reappearing. Didn't bother me! I thought Izzy's intro and time at the junkyard were great, and I was glad to see her again at the end. I didn't feel her and Squeeks were useless. I thought they were great avatar's for kids with heroic hearts (awwww). I actually think it added some different flavor to the film to leave her and the U.S. behind for a bit, and then it was rousing to see her reemerge later.

- Visually, this is the craziest, best looking 3rd Act of any of the films. I mean, really, even if you HATE the movies, you should at some point watch the end of this one, because it's jaw dropping, and this is coming from someone who thought the action direction in AOE was terrible, and the effects had taken a big nosedive. It might make some people motion sick, but I thought all the flying, twirling, and anti-grav stuff was visually amazing.

- This movie has a horrible sense of what's cool. One of the only jokes I found really funny in this was Cogman getting called out for adding music to an intense scene in the Witwiccan castle. I laughed out loud, half because the timing is great, but half because this is a meta-explanation of everything wrong with these movies. Almost. every. single. time this movie does something genuinely cool (comedy, action shot, character interaction, big setpiece, etc...), it nudges it just over that cool line to eye-roll-inducing:
    - Most of the jokes go just far enough to be beating you over the head
    - the swearing in this one is pointlessly egregious
    - as ever it wouldn't be a TF movie without a couple of cringe worthy, unnecessary sex jokes
    - so many pieces could be removed and the movie wouldn't suffer (leaving the junkyard for the town, diving in the sub, humans recruiting the Cons, half of the time spent at the castle giving Witwiccans credit for just about everything good that's ever happened in civilization, etc...

- Who was this movie for? Adding Izzy and Squeeks was great for a younger audience to have someone to invest in now that Sam is gone. And yet the movie has more "shits" and "bitches" than a Tarantino film. I have no problem with the movies targeting younger (or older) audiences, but this one suffers for not being able to make up its mind. The older crowd will find the cartoonishness over the top, and younger one.... frankly won't be allowed to go!

- Everything smart about this movie feels stolen. Squeeks is a KO of BB8, Cogman comes across as a KO of K2SO (even though principal photography ended on TLK before Rogue 1 was released), the Knights and Dragon feel like an appeal to the GOT crowd. I'm sure some of this could have happened very coincidentally, but it feels like the movie is big jumble of better ideas taken from more popular media.

- The TFs really do get a bit more screen time and dimensionality. Most of this is simply because of Cogman, but still they went a bit further in this one to give the TFs some lines and presence that weren't ONLY for comedic relief. I think they should have went further, but it was better than in the previous three films.

- Optimus Prime. Unfortunately, he (and most of his bravado dialogue) are one of the elements of the film that seems shoehorned in and almost vestigial. Like in all TF media, he's one of the hardest characters to make feel anything more than paper thin. You might cheer for him once or twice, but his appearances in TLK ultimately left me wanting for a much better done Optimus.

- Shame. I think this movie is almost completely a setup film for #6. So much so that if #6 ever happens, you're pretty much going to have to watch this one to get what's going on. It was nice to see more lore introduced (that wasn't entirely McGuffin-based), but it seems fleshing it out could potentially never happen.

All in all, I was expecting trash, and instead I think this one is a fairly solid Summer movie, and worth the $15. Maybe that's the effect of having low expectations?

It's just very frustrating though that if all of the "too much-ness" had been reined in, it could have been a much better movie. I don't know that Bay deserves all the blame, but my instincts tell me it was half him, and half an overwrought, under-edited script. If nothing else the movie looks better than everything that's come before, it's brimming with Robots (even if most of them never get to cross over into full 3-dimensionality), and it teases you with a lot of TF lore (even if some of it is beyond ridiculous).

I think it's the 2nd best one after 2007, but that's just on first impressions. Maybe the wow factor will rub off soon.

But of all people to say this, and it almost makes me wince... I think many critics made up their minds about it before giving it a chance, and it's a shame because I think a lot of the Summer crowd would have actually (mostly) enjoyed this one if the reviews hadn't driven them away.

• Like Like x 8