TFW Interviews Andy Schmidt, Transformers Ongoing Series Editor

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    We recently had the opportunity to sit down with IDW Publishing's Transformers Senior Editor, Andy Schmidt, to to talk about the upcoming Transformers ongoing series, his history with the franchise and his work in the comics industry as a whole. He also takes some time out to address some of the concerns fans have raised about the artistic direction of the series, assuring us that other artists and styles being used on the Transformers books, and the potential benefits that the shift to an ongoing format will bring with it.

Check out the full interview here:

TFW2005 Interviews IDW Publishing Editor Andy Schmidt - Transformers News

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

Good interview! I'm a pretty harsh IDW critic, but I always appreciate some ol' fashioned communication. Nice to know they're trying to listen.

3. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At this point nothing IDW says will make me read another Tf comic. Call me when someone competent gets the liscense.

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    That was a really good interview. Andy Schmidt (as well as pretty much everybody I've ever heard from/read about at IDW) seems like a genuinely nice guy. I appreciate his time and willingness to do things like this.

HOWEVER, I'm still very frustrated with IDW. Every single person, be it Shane or Andy or whoever, always claim that they haven't forgotten what's come before. They value continuity and want nothing more than to build on it. And that criticism can really sting. Well... why are the same mistakes made over and over and over and over again? That's what stings me. I hate being negative.

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Thanks for the interview. More Jazz please :D  and please give him his traditional looking face.

On another note, I do like the idea of exploring the female abominations and I'm curious to see what is so special about Earth. Hoping it's a way to bring back or build new transformers or the golden lagoon, which I know it can't be but that would be pretty sweet

6. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great interview! I'm looking forward to the ongoing and hope that Smokescreen will make an appearance in there somewhere. :D 

7. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nice interview, i've thoroughly enjoyed the idw books so far, and i will absolutely will be picking up the ongoing. It sucks about what transpired with ironhide, because he is one of my favorites, but i get that sometimes things need to be sacrificed to tell a good story. I just ultimately hope that it's not just a random kill for shock value and i am very happy and intrigued by andy's mentioning of the bigger picture.

the one complaint i have about the article is it does not really address what is probably the biggest concern about the new ongoing and that is the faces. I understand they can't really call out don or whoever is responsible for the new face designs, but to not have the biggest elephant in the room addressed directly was disappointing.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    YES! As much (like most people) as I dislike the new faces Don draws, I applaud this decision to give the artists freedom in doing their own style. I don't care if in one story the Transformers are drawn highly complex, then overstylized the next - as long as I can still see Prime is Prime, etc.

It's also good news for the people that don't like the new style, I guess..that it's not the only style to be used.

9. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Like I was saying before, with the way the story is with the humans thinking TransFormers are evil monsters it helps with the story. I knew it wasn't a "forever" thing just so long as they don't go changing alt. modes when ever a new series comes out. If they do, just have a reason for it.

I always knew IDW was trying just as long as they clean up after them self when they make a mess :]

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Andy comes across as very sincere and honest, which can only be a good thing.

I thought we already knew what made Earth so special back in "Infiltration" - the special Energon ore? (note - I've only read up to Revelation/Maximum Dinobots, so if AHM has ret-conned this, I don't know about it!)

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Andy comes across as very sincere and honest, which can only be a good thing.

I thought we already knew what made Earth so special back in "Infiltration" - the special Energon ore? (note - I've only read up to Revelation/Maximum Dinobots, so if AHM has ret-conned this, I don't know about it!)

12. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure the stylistic choice goes that deep. After all, seems the humans know not all Transformers are evil monsters, anyway.

Personally, when I said I couldn't care less about the style of the Transformers, I also mean the alt mode. To be honest, I don't care if Starscream is an F22 or an F15 two stories later, then back to F22. As long as it isn't drastic stuff like going from jet to car, or from gun to tank, and back, and changing colors, I'm fine. If one story Hot Rod is a Ford, then a Dodge..I don't really care..

But that's just my opinion. :) 

13. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, after Transformers: Continuum I cannot take this statement seriously.

Otherwise it was a nice interview, though.

14. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

If they can't take criticism they should either own up to their mistakes as they have clearly made several and start really paying attention to the work that has gone before. Isn't this Andy Schmidt the guy behind this last book of IDW TF history which readys pretty much like a train wreak.

Edit: Okay he has admit at least one of the mistakes they've made and that in fixing it its just become worse, its not said that I can see but that has to be sunstreaker's plotline there.

15. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I will pick up issue #1 on Wednesday, but the only way I'll spend $4 on a monthly comic book is if it's REALLY GOOD. I can set aside my criticism for how Furman's work was so easily shoved aside and forgotten as long as I like the story and art. If issue #1 does not impress me, I will not buy issue #2.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Spotlight: Roller. Make it happen.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. I'm way too irritated with their numerous continuity screwups to bother blowing more money on their comics.

18. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    as long as they keep Furman away from this book they will get my $3.99

19. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I liked the interview, and he seemed to be a nice, sincere guy.
    But as long as the faces are drawn like that, I will not give this book a chance. I just loathe that look that much.

20. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once again, a really good interview throughout... But I'm disappointed the subject of Transformers Continuum and all it's glaring errors wasn't addressed. Seems like the perfect time for someone to step up and say a few words about it, and it was pretty much overlooked.