TFW Generations Powerdive & HftD Highbrow Galleries

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a two for one bonus in our latest gallery update! Not only are we bringing you a look at the Generations Powerdive Voyager Class toy, recently released in Asia and due for a release as a Toys R Us Exclusive in the US shortly, but we also have a gallery for you of the original version of the mold, Highbrow!

This twin prop plane mold is a real "love it or hate it" design. The arms are admittedly the weak spot in robot mode, yet they also have a certain style that seems especially appropriate for Powerdive - the fists can tuck away and allow the arms to convert into full on rotor arms like the 2007 Movie Incinerator. The legs, thanks to the tail fins acting as poseable toes, can strike and hold some great and dynamic poses. The heads on both releases are modeled for actual plane pilots - Highbrow has a very "Biggles" inspired head (just add scarf) while Powerdive gets more of an oxygen mask look. The plane modes are a great design, a twin prop plane design very rarely seen among transforming robot toys.

Powerdive is an oddity though for being released in the Generations series, a line strongly thought of as Classics, when his design, mostly real world deco and headsculpt all make him look right at home on a movieverse shelf. Regardless of where you stand him in your collection, he is a good fun toy, as was Highbrow before him.

Open the links below to check out both galleries!

Generations Powerdive (Asia Exclusive) Gallery
    Hunt for the Decepticons Highbrow Gallery

[​IMG]
    Generations Powerdive Robot Mode

[​IMG]
    Generations Powerdive Plane Mode

[​IMG]
    Hunt for the Decepticons Highbrow Robot Mode

[​IMG]
    Hunt for the Decepticons Highbrow Plane Mode

[​IMG]
    Powerdive and Highbrow Plane Comparison Shot

[​IMG]
    Powerdive VS Highbrow!

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I found Highbrow quite dull looking. I think it was the light blue in robot mode and almost featureless green in vehicle mode.

If he had been my first purchase of the mold instead, I think I would have quite liked Powerdive. But now, I can't bring myself to purchase that mold again.

Powerdive is why repaints exist.

3. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I much prefer the darker Powerdive deco. This is one of the few new figures I'm planning on buying.

4. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

No amount of dynamic posing can make those bots look decent. Easy pass.

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be game for a Powerdive

6. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I'm gonna get me a Powerdive, I like Highbrow and the new use of the mold looks even better.
    He will hang out with my HFTD Lugnut (to me he is G2 Ransack).

7. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

me want :p 

8. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I find Powerdive, I might get it... I saw Highbrow once or twice at Marshalls/Maxx stores... but passed because well... the colors.

The 'Con sports a much better and more consistent scheme TBH.

BTW... anyone ever make some mods for Highbrow's arms? The only thing that bugs me is how those hands kind of stick out sideways in a somewhat funky manner...

Nice gallery though!

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Do you remember G2 Rotorforce love? That shark head is kind of obnoxious. But favorable to WW2 aircraft Art. Still I prefer Shark Teeth or Tiger stripes Like Lugnut or Hooligan.

I have no problems with this mold. Its well excecuted for a voyager with bunch of visual features, like the rivets everywhere. and the Jetpack in robot mode . These offscreen movie designs in the 2010 line were really sneaky about fusing Transformer styles. I liked it because it gave a more classic robot flavor to that Universe. And if you want to add this guy to classics I think it works fine considering how out of place the alt mode is going to be anyway. The robot should not be as sleek as your other bleeding edge Generations Fighters.

Still The rotors are properly red, the guns are purple, and the new Head is lightpipeing like a boss. If the price is'nt outrageous when it comes to toys R us I'll take two.

Looking at the pics. I wonder if the new goggles will flip over the eyes like highbrows did.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  10. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really wish the had taken this new head and put it on a recolored Energon Bulkhead mold. That would of worked so much more than this Highbrow mold.

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    These two guys are awesome. I welcome more repaints using this mold Hasbro!!

Once you all get/see Powerdive in person, you'll like him even more....I haven't stopped fiddling with mine since I got it.

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome photos! Since plowking approves of this mould I'll hopefully pick up either of them (preferably Powerdive...). Looks like a fun toy :) 

13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Had I known this retool was in the works I'd have passed on Highbrow.

Still, I don't at all regret picking up Highbrow, and if I happen to see Powerdive I'll grab him. Shark deco + new head + best 5mm guns ever + P-38-esque alt + pal for Lugnut = totally worth buying the same mold again.

14. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Oh man, Powerdive looks awesome. He sort of looks like an evil German pilot... even though he turns into a plane resembling a P-38 Lightning. Whatever. I'll gladly add him to my Decepticon Luftwaffe. Javol, mein fuhrer Megatron!

He also looks like he'd be best buddies with Lugnut.

15. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I cant wait bro. I have a hard time believing anyone in our area will have a shot at powerdive with us 2 looking for him as much as we love this mold. Im grabbing a few for you, and few for me..I just hope we see enough in the stores.

OK...Highbrow..I one of my ALL TIME FAV Voyagers. I was looking for one for a LOOONG time and PK hooked me up in trade for one. I dont give a shit what anyone says about it from pics online..This is one of those figures you MUST have in your hand to truly appreciate. Im one of those guys, I have seen stuff on line, reviews and such, and said..."BLAH!! That is SHIT! GARBAGE!! NO HELLLL NAAAWWW!!" And then buy the crap and LOVE it. High Brow is one of the most underrated molds from all of TF'dom imho.

The plane mode, is SPECTACULAR. Everything locks together, TIGHT. Nothing flops around. Retractable landing gear that raise the nose up for props to clear the ground, Just SITTING on your shelf HighBrow is imposing. The Prop spin gimmick is GREAT. If I were 7-8 again, I would be flying this guy ALL over the house and outside. Rockets on the wings-CHECK! The way the gatling guns mount on the wings or each side of the main fuselage is killer, and then they look like he has Hip Holsters in bot mode.

I originally did NOT like the arms from online pics, and was really bummed that I thought he got neutered like incenerator..but that is simply not the case. This guys arms work GREAT. There is a hell of alot of posability here, and just because he has his props on his arms, DONT LET THAT SCARE YOU from trying to find one of these. He has full range of motion, and pulls of incredible poses.

As stated in the OP, the legs are BRILLIANT design. Full posability, and they just look fanstastic.

A perfect time to highlight this figure as I am right in the middle of doing a "weathered and realistic" paint job on one of these. Im doing this one for my buddy, as he was so kind to allow me to try. I only have one highbrow, and I hardly ever paint anything I have one of.

My ONLY problem with Highbrow...Is I dont have ENOUGH of them. I want to paint one a WWII Navy/Hellcat blue on the top.

Powerdive looks great. I cant wait to be hunting for that one.

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

As far as you POINT, I guess I can SEE that you really LIKE this mold. I, however, think it looks like a failed remake of Big Duo.

17. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I LOVE how your stress your words that your REALLY MEAN with caps :thumbs2: 

I have a habit of that. We had a national sales manager that required us to CAPS all IMPORTANT points when we had to turn in quarterly sales reports. If we had a GREAT MONTH, he needed the caps to stop him to ACTAULLY READ the parts that were INTERESTING enought to take his SO precious time.

Its a really hard habit to break. No...SERIOUSLY it a HARD habit to break.

18. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That mold is something special. It doesn't necessarily take well to being photographed but in hand it looks and feels so right. If I get some spare pennies I will get Powerdive to join Highbrow on my desk.

19. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great. Wish it had wings.

20. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    I never found highbrow when he was released (only his wave mate boo berry fallen), but I plan on finding and getting this figure.

The color scheme seems better this time around as well.