TFW Funnies Awards - Best Dialogue of 2009

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Zherbus, Mar 29, 2010.

?

Best Dialogue of 2009

Poll closed Apr 1, 2010.
  1. On the Brink - Handshakes - Biotoakid

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. The Dirty Boys - Longhaul Unchallenged - Karhukjnsi

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Beast Wars: Rebooted - Loyalty - Noise Maker

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Warring at Play - Prowl and Strarf - Polenicus

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Time Shinki - Planning - PurdueAV2003

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. Transforming the Unknown - Snow Cat - Hype1

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Prime Time! - Lockdown - Chaos Incarnate

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. TCracker's Mind Numb - Now and Forever - TCracker

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    On the Brink - Handshakes - Biotoakid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Dirty Boys - Longhaul Unchallenged - Karhukjnsi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beast Wars: Rebooted - Loyalty - Noise Maker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warring at Play - Prowl and Strarf - Polenicus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time Shinki - Doctor - PurdueAV2003

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Transforming the Unknown - Snow Cat - Hype1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prime Time! - Chaos Incarnate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TCracker's Mind Numb - Now and Forever - TCracker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Dang it... one too many good ones here. Hard to choose which one.

EDIT:

Tough choice, but I went with TCracker. It was either him, Polencius, Chaos Incarnate, or PurdueAV2003.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  3. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

There were a few good ones, but then came TCracker's dialogue, which sent shivers down my spine...

4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Ooooh, who to vote for. Who to vote for...

That's it, going with TCracker.

By the way, I know this is nitpicking but isn't that entry from Time Shinki from 2010?

5. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    There were some great choices here, alongside some that demonstrate the problems of self-nomination. But in the end, I had to go with TCracker's.
    I think ECR is right, that great Time Shinki entry is from this year.

Sticky?

6. Zherbus

News Credits:
    Yep. I get a few of those that slip through the cracks. :(  Please people, check your entries for 2009. There's so much clean up and chasing down for some of these entries that I can't catch everything on my lunch break, when I do these.

7. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ha, you're probably referring to me. :D 

Yeah I nominated myself, and yes, I know I'm not the best. The example I submitted isn't really thought provoking or anything, and the punchline doesn't really make sense unless you read the whole issue. Still, even though I knew I had no chance of winning, I wanted to at least take part in the Funnies Awards.

You can think my comic is bad, and that's fine; that's not the issue I have with your comment. What doesn't sit right with me as how you self-nominations are "problems". How, exactly, are they problems? It's not like a comic more deserving of the award was turned down because I nominated my self. There were only eight nominations, and the limit, off the top of my head, is something like twelve to fifteen. I even waited until fifteen minutes of the nomination submission deadline; if the limit of submissions WAS reached, I would have been the one turned down, not anyone else.

A comic that you consider less than worthy being nominated doesn't detract or hurt the value of the other nominations. If anything, it highlights their value! :D 

I just wanted to take part in the contest, and maybe introduce a new reader to my comics. I don't think I hurt anyone, or caused a "problem" by doing that.

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

ECRF:

Um...yes. I nominated it and kinda' missed my stop. :D 

Here's what happened:

I was nominating at the last minute, trying to get something in, and I had a slightly different reading on the category.

The poll choices above are mostly of the "most memorable dialogue exchange" type...crowning moments of awesome, and they are indeed awesome.

I thought we were supposed to pick one based on overall impression, and that was difficult!

I know there are several comics here which have, throughout 2009, had exceptionally good dialogue, very natural and smooth-flowing, in which even the most minor exchanges are just delightful to read. OoDL and Time Shinki came to mind, meaning no disrespect to any others...I really enjoy good dialogue, and I try to mention it when I see it in a comic.

For instance, I enjoy pretty nearly everything that Jazz (OoDL) and Dr. Arnval (TS) say. Doesn't matter what it is. Could be "My nose itches" or anything.

Now, I assumed that OoDL would already have been nominated, and so I went with Time Shinki, but when I went to pick some images to illustrate the comic, I forgot about that 2009 bit. Oops. :D 

I wish I would have nominated OoDL, too, as Coolhand writes brilliant dialogue. But we're all new at this. I guess the lesson to take is "nominate 'em all and let Zherb sort 'em out. :D "

9. Autobus Prime

NM: Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? :)  Don't be so hard on your own work, though! The punch line works perfectly. "I don't do handshakes." STAB "Neither do I." Pithy and bloody. I like a little black humor. :lol 

He doesn't mean your comic was bad. I think I know what he means, because I've run into the same problem. The things we remember tend to be the things we spend the most effort on, but the things that stick out and grab people's attention are often the things that come easily.

For instance, I didn't nominate my narrator in the "running gag" poll. I was kind of surprised to see that there, because it was just a relatively spur-of-the-moment thing.

I think we're seeing that here, too. You didn't think your punchline worked, but it did!

So often, people don't recognize what they do well! In fact, one thing I notice on this forum, over and over, is that people tend to apologize for the very feature of their work that makes it unique!

10. Noise Maker

News Credits:
    Thanks, but you're confusing me with Biotoakid. :lol  Mine's the BW: Rebooted Comic. (The punchline, "I have half a mind to kill you", comes from Megatron's mind being split between his T-rex mode and robot mode. The beast half of him wants to devour Dinobot, but his robot half realizes he needs him - there's actually a page between these two pages that deals with Megatron's split personalities arguing over this fact, but I cut that out when i sent the nomination because it was inner dialog.

Yeah, I was probably too hasty when I implied he meant my comic was actually bad.

I've noticed that as well! A lot of times people are too critical of their work.

11. Autobus Prime

NM:

Oops. :redface2:  I think I need to go to sleep and wake up when my brain works again. :crazy:  :D 

...actually, though, your punch line works great, too, even isolated like this. I think the roaring of Megs' beast head and the aggression it displays during the delivery of the line make the intent quite clear.

It's a good scene, too, with Dinobot talking his way out of a tense situation.

I stop now...:) 

12. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Actually, I was close to voting for you. Your dialogue was excellent; for me, it was a difficult choice between you, Pol, and TCracker. Nor do I have a problem with self-nomination per-se. My problem is that, in every category, there are entries which are clearly self-nominated and are of such poor quality in the context of what the award is designed for that their inclusion is outright silly, and they could be coming at the expense of other strips that put much more effort into every facet of production. The logic seems to be "Oh, I have a comic, so I must be worthy of being among the best seem last year!"

I have no problem with other people getting exposure, but if we're putting all this time in to find the links and seriously consider these entries, they should be worthy of the time put in to decide their merits in context of the award.

But then, people always tell me I over-think things.

And before some people start making accusations at me, no, this has nothing to do with me not getting nominated often, since there are so many better comics than mine out there anyway, which is why I've never nominated myself.

Just my :2c:  I wasn't trying to offend, merely to get people to think.

13. Noise Maker

News Credits:
    Well, oops, then. I guess I'm just naturally critical of myself, so I just jumped to conclusions. I was also kind of guilty for nominating myself (someone else convinced me to do it), so when I read "self nominations" I just assumed it was me you were referring to.

Okay, I can see your point. While I still have no problems with self-nominations, I see that you weren't trying to be insulting

I wasn't trying to offend you either. :thumbs2:  Really, this has been an interesting discussion. :D 

:lol 

Thanks. :D  I was worried that the scene would be confusing.

14. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

It happens. The reason why I noticed though was because I also nominated a scene from Time Shinki which was definitely from 2009.

15. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Wow. There are some REAL toss-ups in this category. I'm going to have to think on my vote a bit for this one.

16. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Man, was I surprised to see my name in that list. I wonder who thought to add me though, that totally wasn't my best set of dialogue last year. I'm rather fond of some of the dialogue from last summer, actually. Landmine confronting Mikuru about her laserbeams and Landmine vs Ravage were my highlights, I think.

I voted for TCracker though. That was a fine piece of work!

17. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Whoo! I'm popular enough to be confused with someone else! Hellz yeah!!!!
    I'm honestly surprised at my number of votes! Three! A new record!

18. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Some good nominations here, but I went with the one that evoked the most emotions: TCracker's.

19. Draeck

Draeck Tanks can bounce

Hmmm.. I had to think about this one too... I really liked TCracker's nomination. but I went with Polenicus ^^
    I don't want to nitpick either, or be a buzz kill, but isn't "On the Brink" from 2010 also? Or am I missing something?

20. Zherbus

News Credits:
    I replaced that one with yours. If someone has already been nominated, I go with the first one so I didn't even look to be honest. Like I said before, putting the images in the PM saves me a lot of time.