TFW Age of Extinction User Reviews (Post all reviews here) (Assume SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusJet, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I was quite happy with it. I think it had the fewest weaknesses of all the sequels, and it had the best villain of all four movies. Human performances were generally good as well.

But I thought the action was a little stale. I felt like there wasn't really anything incredible in this one that we hadn't seen before, save for the dinobot sequences. Except I really felt the dinos were shoe-horned in, and it felt awkward with them there. I really disliked the Prime vs Grimlock fight. It was bizarre and uncharacteristic of Optimus to basically say "I'm going to cut your god damn head off if you don't come and fight these guys", and I was even more flabbergasted when all of the dinobots were like "LOL K" and they all just went with it.

Otherwise, overall, I really enjoyed it. My second favourite next to the first one.

2. Galvatron III

Galvatron III Decepticon God!

Galvatron in AOE!!

Hi I'm new. Hope you guy are cool with no hating.

I loved him! I wanted more scenes with him!! Great New origin.

I wish he had some purple though...

I'm excited to see him in TF5!!

3. Galvatron III

The film was amazing! Galvatron made it better!

4. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

Damn right. GALVATRON for president

5. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Alright!

... Oh, wait...

6. Galvatron III

Haha, oh galvy 2!

7. SmokeyPrime

SmokeyPrime Well-Known Member

I went to see it at the beginning of the month, but the power cut out with over half an hour left. Finally watched the full movie last night.

Best Transformers film yet, and one of the best sci-fi movies in general. There was a lot of great humor but it was a really dark, emotional story.

All the Autobots were great, I really felt for Optimus and loved his journey throughout the film. It was great that the 'bots got more screentime and interaction with each other. Mark Wahlberg nailed his role, he was a great human lead.

Lockdown was a great villain. He was badass, menacing, and his non-alignment was played up well. Attinger was a brilliant human villain, very self-righteous and amoral. I absolutely adored Joyce, he was hilarious but went through great development.

The portrayal of Galvatron was awesome. He played every one! The action was great as was to be expected. Can't wait for the rest of this trilogy and the story with the Creators.

My favorite scenes were Ratchet's execution and Optimus vs Grimlock.

8. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Well...Transformers Age of Extinction has a special place in my heart now!

I watched it last night (naughty me) with my dog....who unfortunately passed away this morning, so Transformers is my last memory with him.

But yeah, still an enjoyable film to watch.

9. Blazere

Blazere :)

News Credits:
    I'm so sorry! :( 

10. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

So sorry about your doggie, autobot slapper. I know the feeling.

11. Markdelg

Markdelg Well-Known Member

Watched it last week with my wife. It was better than ROTF and DOTM, but not as good as the first film. Walhberg, his assistant, his daughter and her bf were annoying. Kelsey Grammer and the Steve Jobs knockoff were great. Galvatron's role was nothing more than the setup for the next film. Lockdown was the real treat. Dinobots were...meh.

I really did like the storyline of the robots being hunted. Ratchet's death at the beginning was perfect for that. I also liked that they kept the amount of Autobots to a minimum like in the first film. And what was really interesting is that there weren't any actual Decepticons in the film, just the ones built by KSI that Galvatron takes over.

12. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

I'm sorry for your loss. /hugs

13. newbielives

newbielives Well-Known Member

Didn't like the characters

The transformers of old were always good till the very end. Optimus was like Batman, no matter how much you betrayed him, he always had your back. I could almost feel Peter Cullen trying to preserve that motto even if the script went a little off at times. However Hound which I generally like really disappointed me when he blew away the slime creature just because it spit in it's face. If I had kids, I wouldn't let them watch this movie. I personally feel it does not give a good example of how to view the world. I guess I was looking for that corny message you always got with 80's and 90's cartoons but instead this movie provided a this new generation Call of Duty kill everything in sight and tea bag everything because that's cool attitude. Seriously did Optimus prime threaten to kill Grimlock if he didn't follow him? I like the battling and having grimlock respect optimus, but to threaten him by putting the sword to his eye and say "Follow me or die" or something along those lines was just plain WRONG!

14. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    I think that an Autobot killing an alien has been used before, not in the movies, but I can't think where :banghead: 

15. Decepticons

Decepticons Eye Con Nick

News Credits:
    I personally think the movie showed that not everything is perfect. Even heroes. They can have breakdowns and be pushed to the edge. And that the world isn't always full of the truth.

Plus, there's really good underlying messages about faith and family.

16. Galvatross

Galvatross Get shrekt every day! Veteran

This. Also, since the Dinobots and Prime were both Knights, I saw the words Optimus said to Grimlock as possibly being some sort of Knight code of sorts, perhaps similar to that of the old knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Anyways, I saw it four times, and even with the crappy sound and visuals in the reduced price theater the last time it was still a very enjoyable movie.

Honestly, the only change I would make is shorten or eliminate a few human scenes. Also, I don't think Shane added much to the movie as a whole, so I would have had the Yaegers rescued by one of the Autobots from the previous trilogy only for that Bot to get offed by either Lockdown or Galvatron. Even so, he wasn't the worst thing ever, but he was far from good.

17. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I very much disliked anything to do with the Shane character. He was utterly worthless. I do however love your suggestion about being rescued by another Autobot, although Prime was the obvious one to watch over the humans.

I would also drastically shorten the movie. Basically being 3-hrs is far too long. Two hours, fifteen minutes would have been great. I only saw AOE twice because I couldn't stomach sitting in the theater for that long (I saw each of the other movies 6 or more times each I think).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Galvatross

Galvatross Get shrekt every day! Veteran

I totally agree he was worthless. Cade does all of the brave deeds in Lockdown's ship, and then Tessa acts like Shane is the hero. :banghead:  Next movie I hope he is barely shown if at all.

I'm glad you like the Autobot idea though. And yeah, Prime is the best Autobot to watch over you.

19. jfetch

jfetch Well-Known Member

I just had a really emotionally frustrating time at work today so please forgive me if some of what I'm about to say is misdirected. In fact, no. Let a gal vent.

AoE was - like most Bay films - entertaining at best, visually exhausting at worst. Overall, I liked the idea. I'm content with a lot of the concepts implemented (aside from the creepy human faces - ick) and it was overall the joyride I went in expecting. But something about this one just didn't work as well for me as the films that preceded it. I mean, if I had to choose between "thumbs up" and "thumbs down", 'course I give a thumbs up, but it would not be a very enthusiastic one. I couldn't figure out what was missing and eventually I forgot about it until I just started musing on it during a long drive home today.

There was a lot of silly things in the mix this time around, but most I can look past. I can forgive how crazy long the film seemed. I can forgive the icky human faces. I can almost forgive that by T4 the entire original gang's been killed off save for Bee and Prime. I can forgive Drift and Crosshairs which were kind of pointless and didn't add much to the team dynamic aside from being oddly-placed cultural stereotypes. And I can just pretend it didn't bother me that the father and daughter looked like they were the same age...

But here's the one thing that wasn't present in the movie and I think that's why Age of Extinction just didn't work for me. (You'll probably laugh when I say it.) It's the lack of Sam and Bee interaction. Basically that's all it was. Something about the friendship between these two is the one thing that fascinated me and probably one of the things that kept me coming back. Their journey and relationship was unique and kept me emotionally invested in the films. When this new lot of humans took over in T4, I didn't feel like I knew them, so I couldn't root for them. And they didn't really seem bonded to any of the Autobots anyway, so why should I care? There was that one moment with Cade and Optimus having some one-on-one on the ship but...meh. It seemed forced and empty.

I know it's silly but character relationships and interactions are really freaking important to me. If that's not there - or in this case, it was there and you take it away from me which is worse - I'm just not going to be that emotionally invested in this story and therefore won't feel like it's all that good.

And that is an extremely long-winded explanation as to why I figured out why AoE was "just...okay". Ha. If you're still reading this, cookies for you!

20. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I’ll be. Over by my college, my AMC theater had one last showing for AOE in IMAX 3D and I just couldn’t resist, even with the blu ray coming in a couple of weeks.

From my now 4 viewing of the film, this is my favorite of the series. Never posted a review so I thought I'd give one.

Positives
    - Best ratio of robot to human screen time.
    - Lockdown was a great villain. All of his lines were pure gold.
    - Fantastic robot designs. I almost like AoE Prime more than his original design.
    - Likeable/tolerable human characters.
    - Wahlberg and Tucci are great in this film.
    - Nicola is freakin gorgeous.
    - Other than the elevator scene no cringe worthy comedy.
    - No military hogging the final battle. RotF and DotM’s final battles were filled with too much military crap. AoE’s final battle is for the most part pure Robot vs Robot awesomeness, which I find to be infinitely more entertaining.
    - I really liked how Prime and Bee were used in this film. Prime is given more character development and shows more emotion while Bee embraces his youthful side in this movie.
    - The bits with Evasion Prime were amazing.
    - The Dinobot charge sequence is my second favorite action sequence of the series. Forest battle is still the best.
    - The Autobots where great in this film. Hound, Drift and Crosshairs get plenty of screen time and dialogue. I like this group more than the original and that team was pretty amazing.
    - I liked how Megatron was made to be a credible threat despite only being a head.
    - Galvatron's origins were great and his voice was so menacing thanks to Welker.
    - I really liked Lockdown’s final stand. I really liked how all the main characters had to team up to take him down. Very fulfilling sequence.
    - My favorite scenes where Ratchet's death, Autobots reunite, KSI break in and Dinobot charge.

Negatives
    - After the forest battle, Prime vs Galvatron was underwhelming. The only good part was the no soul exchange.
    - The elevator scene……………….YIKES!!!
    - Pretty much all the Chinese pandering sequences should’ve been cut out.
    - Cut the magnet sequence to Prime and the Dinobots being sucked up. The human parts made me restless.
    - Why was Darcy present in the final battle?
    - Galvatron was cool but I wish he did more in the final battle.
    - I personally didn’t have a problem with the length but 2 hrs and 40 min runtime is too long for this movie which is why I think it was panned. Not sure what I would cut out but I think a 2 hr 20 min runtime would be ideal.

Rating
    8.5/10 for me. Shame the movie got worst reviews than RotF because I found this to be a very fun experience.