Customs: TFTM Voyager SlimScream project

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by alec.zander, Jun 25, 2007.

1. alec.zander

alec.zander Well-Known Member

Hey there!
    So this is about taking down some of Voyager SS bulk.

I started on the upper legs...removed (by just unscrewing) the hinge panel that forms the bottom of the jet in jet mode. Had to replace just the screw though, to keep the legs together. Now he doesn't have thunder thighs any more. Slightly more difficult to pose, though I could make some quick fix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That takes some of the kibble away from the underside. The thigh box on him is just tooo big. His lower legs, which make the rear underbelly of jet, while not perfectly shaped (sigh) aren't so bad in terms of actual bulk.

After that, the only thing left is ... those damn arms! I'd like to replace them, don't see how they could be whittled down in my view, with three spring launchers per arm...here's pics of the arm assembly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What arms do you think would look good?

2. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

Hmm, you may have to bite the bullet on this and actually replace the arms completely, with what? I dunno, I'm not sure how his arm assembly works. I like where you're going with this though, especially the torso, looks much cleaner. :thumb 

3. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

What about the FAB arms?

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Those would be too small. I'm not sure what replacement arms you could put on him, but, personally, I like him the way he is, lol.

5. TheJedi

TheJedi Autobot

The arm assembly is quite simple.

It's just a disc (looks like a flat T from the side) at the big shoulder part clamped
    between two smaller parts which are held together by a single screw.

If you could find or alter an existing arm to have a similar disc, you could simply replace them.

After all, those arms don't really do something important to the alt mode.

(Just took the arms completely apart because one of the gears didn't work properly...
    had to put some kind of washer in and change the position of the gear that's attached
    to the cannons in one arm to get it to work as supposed. 8) )

Also, you could simply remove the cannons. You have to crack the shoulders open though.
    There is some glue applied, but they hold together by using the original screw only just fine.

So, putting some lower arms and hands on the existing ones would work as well. With some modification, you could also use the original gears to make the new lower arms rotate like crazy. :D 

6. alec.zander

@TheJedi

wow, seems like you're pretty handy!
    I'm thinking of just replacing the arms from the shoulders.
    Still gotta get a good set of arms somewhere ...

Send in more suggestions, legions of kitbashers!

7. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

My biggest problem with movie SS is the arms itself, so if you can figure out a way to give him better looking arms I'd love to know about it. This figure would have been a hundred times better if he had arms that looke more like the movie verion and that didn't just hang there in both modes.

Regardless, nice work so far, can't wait to see more of the finished project.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm not really sure what arms would fit, but it would be an easy thing to swap out. Btw, I'm interested in buying a pair of Screamer's arms from anybody who's going to be swapping them out for different arms.

9. alec.zander

haha ok, you can take mine as soon as I find a good suggestion as to the replacements!

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I actually only need the left one, but, I don't see anybody just getting rid of one, lol.

11. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

jet mode pics?

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    If I'm not mistaken, there should be no difference in jet mode.

13. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

he said a thinner undercarridge. but how thin?

14. alec.zander

I'll put up a jet mode pic. The difference isn't huge though, but every little bit helps. I was playing with it last night, and I'm thinking of doing some radical changes, because really, the top half of the jet mode is pretty decent ... just all that damn undercarriage kibble on the bottom kills it. Looking at what I can unscrew and substitute and superglue and etc etc.

I think I will stay with his current TF scheme, but part of me was thinking of giving him a proper movie accurate TF scheme

The last step will most def be a repaint into a better F-22 paint scheme. Not the prototype, but the gray with the lighter gray outlines and nosecone.

QUESTION
    What about Bonecrusher's arms? I know he's only a deluxe, but he seems to have relatively mong arms from the CGI, and they have some kind of extension gimmick. It looks like he has mad kibble on his arms: is some of it removable by unscrewing?

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bonecrusher's extending arms just pop right off with minor force. The rest of his arms are pure vehicular kibble, though.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    And they'd be a bit small on Starscream. Maybe if we actually get that voyager Bonecrusher...

17. alec.zander

Just got Bonecrusher tonight. Lengthwise, they'll be fine. Bonecrusher's arms are longer than SS's. I feel like getting another Boncrusher because I quite like him. I mean, come on, he's got the guts to tackle OP by himself, AND sign that card to donate his limbs after dying? I mean come on, that is a class act.

I just moved in recently and left all my tools at my old place. Screwdriver party this weekend, woohoo!

(I like the BC toy ... too bad like, the whole truck ends up on his arms.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jokerswild

jokerswild Voice of Ashes

I'm very happy to see you're going to try using bonecrushers arms!!!

i posted a thread just for the use of his arms on screamer as i'm thinking of doing it myself... cant wait to see pix when you're finished

19. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I cant wait to see with the final decisions on this. Those arms dont look too bad on there. I just got the Voyager Movie SS myself and yeah hes a fatty lol!

20. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was about to suggest Bonecrusher's arms until I saw the rest of the thread. :lol 

Can't wait to see how they fit! I don't mind Voyager SS's bulk, but I'd -love- to see a mod to give him his 'normal' arms.