Customs: TFTM TrailBreaker Idea

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Kouri, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    The real problem with this guy is that he's got Stockade's alt mode and Dropkick's bot mode. To whip up a decent former you've either got to compromise, or go insane reshelling Dropkick with Stockade's autoparts.

[​IMG]

I went the same route as Warpath - Bot mode's more important to me than the alt mode, so I decided to take my Dropkick and give 'em a modified Jazz head (this part really doesn't suit the design, I just wanted a G1 visor for the guy). This time, I didn't stop with the swap - I started removing paint and dying parts black. Anything that isn't transparent will be dyed black and then silver highlights will be applied where I think they work. ^^ Red n blue details will be added afterward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The biggest problem I have right now is that the side pieces of the truck bed don't really fit in back anymore. One of the nubs that keeps it in place... well, the pin kind of fell out. The second one just doesn't want to accept it's spot in back. >.>

Either way, I'm going to try and figure out a way to work those pieces into the legs to give them more bulk. They won't fit as is, as they prevent the whole chicken-leg setup, but I'm willing to rework the entire leg setup to give 'im more humanoid limbs. I'm kind of used to the Autobots having as humanoid a bot mode as possible. =/

Ooh, something else I forgot - there are some clearance issues with the head, but I ought to have that sorted out soon enough.

EDIT: After fumbling around with the figure a bit more, I think I've got the legs worked out. First off, the top two portions of the legs will become the actual bot mode legs. The bottom two portions will be fused together to create feet. No, I don't intend on giving this guy huge feet. The one portion is already hooked up to the new "ankle" and the other as the foot detailing I want, so I figure I can just cut, FIXIT, and re-dye. The leftover bed pieces will attach to the lower legs with a notch cut out to allow knee movement. That cutout will remain on the upper leg or on the back bed piece so as not to ruin the bed detailing. Yes, I know it's not totally game accurate, but I like things better this way.

2. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Well Stockade's head is pretty much what movie Trailbreaker would look like, just like Longarm's head looks just likes Hoist's.

Have fun with that project! I'm just glad it's not another voyager Ironhide into Trailbreaker mod

3. nightboomfer

nightboomfer SeƱor Member

Heh.. step 1) turn head 180 degrees. Step 2) Paint.

4. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Yeah, Stockade on his own would probably make an awesome Trailbreaker - but I'm impatient and want one now. XP

Aaanywho, rather than go with some sort of van (the game concept makes me think Escalade. o.o), I think this would be a case where bringing in more G1 into the design could work.

[​IMG]

A nice shell over the bed ought to do the job. ^^ What to do with it in bot mode, I'm not too sure. I could use it to create some nice bulky legs for the guy, or it could be attached to the remaining bit of the bed that swings behind his back so that the pieces of the shell could become shoulder-mounted cannons or perhaps a jetpack? I'm really open to ideas on this one. Keep in mind that unless I totally rebuild the legs, most of the bed pieces are going to add some bulk to his lower legs.

5. Tracks_25

Tracks_25 We rollin'

Cool idea, Dropkick is the most underrated movie bot. He would make a great TB

6. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Well, all four limbs have been dyed, though the feet need another dip now that a part's been removed. The torso's not ready to go in yet, mainly because that decepticon decal is such a pain to get out. >.< It's as bad as CC BB's stripes - only comes off with alcohol and a fingernail. =/

[​IMG]

Right now the bed pieces are just taped on - I haven't gone through the trouble of fitting them onto the legs permanently yet. I still need to figure out where exactly to cut and then find a decent method of joining the pieces together. FIXIT-Sculpt ought to do the job, and it accepts dye very well, but I'm afraid I might need to get back into the leg area to do more work, and once the FIXIT cures, it's pretty solid.

The doors still need to be pegged into the back. Right now they're only being held in by tape. =/

On a side note, some bits probably need to be sanded and re-dyed. Some acetone from another project sort of spattered onto bits here and there and now he's all bubbly in some spot. ;.; I may just pick up a second Dropkick to take care of the missing parts, though - I sort of lost one of the reflectors anyhow. ^^;

7. Revolver Turles

Revolver Turles Banned

is this still in motion?

8. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Very much so - I even grabbed another Dropkick to replace that fog light I lost. The biggest issue is that I can't dye the rest of the parts. The stuff's sorta been banned from the household after the last mess I accidentally created. -.-; I need to be really careful with the paint when I finally get to it. ^^;

I recently heard someone mention the idea of popping Ratchet's tires on this guy to make him more of an off-road type deal. I really like the idea, and it shouldn't mess up the shoulders, but I'm afraid of the lack of knee articulation after such a mod. I'm going to look into it when I catch the time.

9. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    did you create that Screenshot?

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Il ike the concept.

11. Whelpd

Whelpd Well-Known Member

I like it why didn't they bring out the models of the game figures?

12. Revolver Turles

Revolver Turles Banned

Awesome!!

When it is complete, whould you give us all a tour on how you made it? i'd love to make one.

13. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Interesting choice for TFTM Trailbreaker. I was thinking - why not use a 2007black Toyota Rav4?