Minor/Repaint: TFTM Strongarm to Swindle

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Demonss, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In anticipation of Yourreflection's Complete brutality kit I went out and picked up a Strong arm and got to repainting. This is really my first full repaint (I've touched up a few things but never done quite this much painting. I used brushes only. I ultimately feel pretty satisfied with the end result!

I do need to touch up his axe a tiny bit, but other than that I think he's looking pretty impressive! Well.. at least for what my totally unsteady hands are capable of doing!

Comments and constructive criticism are always welcome!

Attached Files:

2. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    You can still get Crosshairs/strongarm over there? He was only available for a short time here...

On Topic:Quite the smooth paint job you got going there. Why Hasbro doesn't do this repaint, I'll never know.

3. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    The figure is available in a Walmart 2-pack now, which is kind of odd since it was originally a Target Exclusive for the first movie

Anyways, great work man. I like you unique take on the yellow/tan and purple accents. A tad rough around the edges (just the purple areas really)but those areas are hard to nail perfectly. I'd say overall a very nice first full repaint!

Also just noticed you sanded the autobot symbol off, nice touch!

4. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm loving the colors you used on Swindle and even with "unsteady hands" the end product kicks MUCH ass! He's going to look awesome once you get the Complete Brutality kit. I really like the purple you added on to the rims to, I see that you managed to get the paint off of the tire too. :thumbs2:  For the axe you could also try dying it to. That would turn out nice though I'm doubting you want to go through the trouble of removing the paint at this point. :lol 

Really now? Interesting! I wasn't aware of this. In hindsight after seeing how awesome the repaint looks with the gun attached in vehicle mode I may have to pick one up from Walmart or just get the gun from eBay. When I bought mine it was out of the package and the gun wasn't included. Looking at how bad ass Demonss' looks in vehicle mode with the gun attached makes it look at that much more G1, which I LOVE! Excellent work! Are you planning on repainting any of the other bots from the Maximus set?

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man! Great job dude!

6. Demonss

News Credits:
    Actually I found using 100% alcohol takes the paint off real easy.. It may even work with 90% (the rubbing alcohol from a store), but I haven't tried it yet.

What do I need to do to dye a part? I've never tried that. :) 

7. Demonss

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments!
    I definitely think I'll go back with the fine brush and touch up the purples and tans to make it more even looking for an even better end result.

Yup.. no more autobot symbol, I also painted the center orb thing on his chest purple too to cover up the symbol inside as well. Can't have that on him anywhere! :) 

8. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    I like it keep up the good work!

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I think he came out great! I especially like what you did with the off-white parts!

10. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Nice work Demonss!! I'm actually having a really hard time trying to find that mold anywhere up here. Maybe I'm not digging hard enough.....

Anyway, great job man! I really like the subtle purple and where it's placed, so it doesn't clash with the overall yellow. Swindle is looking ready to brutalize!!...

11. Demonss

News Credits:

Thanks man!
    If you need a copy of it let me know, I can go to walmart and pick up a 2 pack, I'd be happy to buy and send it at cost if you need it. :) 
    Let me know!

12. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    There is a great tutorial on dying on this site http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214539-how-dye-figure.html

It helped me a lot before my first dye job.

Also I've heard of another method for dying clear parts, not sure where it is, but you put a layer of acrylic paint on then wipe it off. Probably only really works for clear or say a clear blue with red paint to make it purple. As far as that version of Strongarm goes the only color you're dying that axe/gun is black but the yellow energon version has a red one to start so dying it blue would get you purple, in theory

13. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Very cool. Such an awesome toy.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    good job man...dig swindle...need to get started on mine...

15. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Cool. I like it. Good job on the painting: I think it looks cleaner than mine.

16. simified

Ebay:
    If you have trouble finding one in stores try eBay, I was checking to see if I could just purchase Strongarms gun as a back up in case I couldn't find him in stores and eBay has quite a few of them in Buy It Now auctions for under $10.

Lucs beat me to it! :lol  That was the same link I was going to give you. I just prefer to dye weapons when I can to avoid chipping when they go in/out of hands. I usually dye them black first then accent them in different colors.

17. Demonss

News Credits:
    Now that I know how to dye characters weapons I'll probably do the same thing as well! :) 

Out of curiosity.. could you dye a whole character to get them all one color and then just paint the changes?

18. simified

Ebay:
    ABSOLUTELY! I saw a post on here a while back, someone used a Hotshot I believe and dyed it blue, modded it a little, to make it look like Tracks. It came out good except for the doors. They were a little bit of a lighter shade of blue. I don't know if it was a different type of plastic that was used on the doors of if there was some type of special coating on the doors but they were the only part that came out lighter. If I find the thread again I'll pm you with it. With that though my guess would be that while you can dye a whole figure, not all of it may come out one uniform color. This is only with some figures though apparently.

My personal experience with dying parts is that using acetone does help. I've read some people saying that they don't use it but I use black dye a lot and the acetone seems to make the plastic dye better. I keep empty 2 liter bottles and when the dye cools, I pour it into the bottle and label the color so I can use it again at a later date.

19. Demonss

News Credits:
    Very interesting. It also seems like it'd be a quick and convenient way to "primer" a fig without adding extra layers.
    That's really why I was asking because if you could get generally the whole figure 1 color (black, or whatever) then it should make it easier to paint without seeing variations in color based on the undercoat, as well as keeping the maximum layers from plastic to final paint layer minimized..

I'll definitely be trying this!
    Any convenient source for the dyes or just need to scour the net and local stores?

20. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking out man, I appreciate it. However, with most of the BIN items located in the States, I would like to rather wait and see what other items particular sellers have, so I can buy as a lot. It's a bit absurd to buy something less than $10 and have it shipped internationally, wouldn't you agree? :)