TFTM Premium Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Jeremy.B, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was excited to get this "premium" version of one of my favorite TF molds of all time. However, I was greatly dissappointed, mainly because of built up expectations, but mostly because the QC on this figure is sorely lacking.

Alt Mode:
    Of course, premium BB is an upgrade of sorts for the TFTM '08 CC BB. Initially looking at the car in vehicle mode in the package, I was confused as it looked exactly the same as regular ole BB. When I removed him and compared him in this mode to the original, I saw subtle differences. The yellow is a shade or so different, supposedly representing more of a metallic paint job. Unfortunately, it comes off looking matte and very dull compared to the original. It also suffers from extremely poor application, as there are scratches and paint bubbles, along with parts of the vehicle that clearly show black underneath. The windows are tinted a slightly lighter shade of blue. The wheels and rims are exactly the same. The only improvements over the original are the stripes having an additional outlines in black and yellow across the car, and details such as door handles, gas cap, and the rear license plate being present. Also, the chevy logo on the grill is gold instead of silver, which is weird.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In bot mode, the premium bee is an even further dissappointment. The robot parts, molded in black in the original, are now a grey that is very dull and plain. The torso area below the license plate is a lighter, duller blue. The yellow accents on the arms and legs are accented with the same light grey that composes the majority of the body. The biggest difference, however, is in the remold of the head. While the battle mask looks fantastic on stealth bee, it is painted horrible, overspray after overspray on this tiny area. I would prefer Hasbro either make this more detailed or make it so it would be easier, and cleaner to paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all, this short review can be summed up in one sentence: there is nothing premium about premium bee. Save your money, but two stealths, and swap heads on one of them with an original 08 BB. You will be much happier. MUCH HAPPIER!

7 out of 10

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Bummer about the QC on yours. I hope they all aren't like that. I mostly just want that head.

Is that one on the front left a custom you did yourself? It looks nice.
    [​IMG]

3. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Yeah. I took some gold, silver and copper and made the black on my extra 08 CC BB look a little more "blaupunk" (sp?). I thought the coils and pipes, etc., that were natural on him needed that.

Thanks for the compliment, man! But seriously, after doing both reviews I looked again, and the paint on the stealth version is far better than the premium, so buy one of those and stick on there.

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm amazed that Stealth BB's gray bits look more interesting than this flat gray on the Premium. o_O 

Bummer about the paint apps, especially the helmet ones if Stealth BB got them right. I wonder if it's common or a rare case of bad spray.

5. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, Hasbro's notorious for bad paint apps. I didn't think Premium BB would be any different. Although, your's sounds pretty bad. I've got my Premium BB coming from BBTS. Hopefully, I'll get a decent one.

6. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    That's where I got mine. I hope yours is better; I think I may take a fine brush to it to touch it up.

Actually, after an afternoon of looking at it, the biggest flaw, to me, is the paint application on the head and doors. If it wasn't for that, I would be much happier.

And, yes, the darker grey on the stealth is way cooler than the dull, lighter grey on this one.

7. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

I still don't have that BB mold, and was looking to get the premium BB along with the other premiums, but now I'm not sure :(  Maybe I should look for the non premium '08 BB instead :confused: 

That custom one looks awesome though, so shiny !

8. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I bet your custom 'Bee feels like a GOLD BUG!

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i'm actually to tell you the truth, very happy with my bumblebee, while mine too, has qc issues, mainly on the doors, being different colors then the rest, and the wheels not all touching the ground in car mode, i still love it, and i am actually happier having it then the original 08 bee, personally i think the head fits it more, making him look almost like, a bee, himself, in robot mode.

10. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    No doubt the head is full of win, but the paint. Lord the paint!! And my doors are different colors too!!!

11. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Damn. I have one preordered :(  Though it's coming from Japan (sold as Bumblebee Battle Mode) so there might be a hope that the paint apps will be better? But if not, I'm prepared. Thank you for sharing :) 

12. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then how come it was tagged as Premium?

13. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    I would imagine it would be better, as takara always seems to be, IMO. I hope so! I am thinking about buying the premium Takara version...let me know how you like it when you get it.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I think the grey looks a lot better than black. Ideally silver of a gunmetal is preferred, but the grey is more movie accurate (which is what they were shooting for) than black.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i don't know about that, i seem to have more qc problems with takara transformers then hasbro transformers.

but, don't worry, the bumblebee, still looks great, even with qc problems, and looks much better in person, but just better in robot mode lol.

16. Rodimus Pie

Rodimus Pie Imagineer

I got mine from BBTS today, and I'm actually pleased, even after having paid $20. Sounds like I lucked out on the paint apps; everything is very well detailed. My only QC gripe would be that his "toe" joints are much looser than on regular BB, making balance trickier.

All in all though, I'm happy!

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I'd like to see a comparison between Premium and Screen Battles Bumblebee.

18. Snkbyt

Snkbyt Autobot

Like the shade of the screen battles BB? Thats annoying since the stealth BB parts are an excellent and accurate gunmetal shade. Screen Battles BB's color is why I passed. I've been looking over the Regular BB I have and It looks like it would be pretty hard to swap those pieces to make him look right. Lots of pins to push out.

EDIT: Got Premium BB today. The gray parts are slightly lighter than the Stealth. Its OK. Not as odd looking as the Screen Battles.

The head is painted horribly. I swapped for the one on my stealth. Its not the same metallic yellow but you can barely tell.

19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    5th and last time I buy this mold. I like the paint and detail added and the new headsculpt. Should have made it this way the first time. I gave my old one to my son. Pretty much all there is too say about that one.

Has anyone else noticed since the slight change to the mold, that the front passenger wheel doesn't sit on the ground right? My Premium and Stealth BB have this issue as well as my Cliffjumper.

20. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Just got mine, I told myself never to get the BB mold but once I saw the paint app, I caved.

[​IMG]

Noticed that the black stripes has an additional line to it.
    [​IMG]

Compared to Stealth BB, the 2 looks just as awesome. Bestt BB mold to date, but how I wished they make this thigh swivel so he can do more dynamic poses...oh well.....
    [​IMG]