TFTM Leader Prime pics + review

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, May 8, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Ok, so I happily got the movie leader class Optimus Prime retail in Ontario, Canada, this weekend:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So there's a size comp. to the oldest looking g1 prime I could find (for 'new/old' contrast), for whoever asked for a size comp.

REVIEW:

Well I'm not going to go into too much detail, just a few note worthy categories and a few +'s and -'s.

Bot mode: great looking, pieces from alt mode are made pretty good use of, he's got the sort of 2nd set of stacks look with the red flaps on the back. Feet are awesome. Head doesn't have vertical articulation (do any movie ones?). Individual fingers. Legs have poor articulation, back wheels/leg covers must be dehinged to bend legs at all and he can't kneel. Arm gun feature is nice. Shoulder pieces like to pull away from the chest, which shouldn't be.

Truck mode: Really great. Very solid and heavy feeling. All pieces click in very tightly. Really thick rubber wheels. Shiny. There's a hole for a trailer hinge (?...). Great overall look.

Transformation: Really fun. This is probably my favourite part of leader Prime. Various things have to be flipped back and forth to transform him. From bot to alt it's fun to piece together the hood/grill, and from alt to bot, the semi-auto foot transformation is great. The chest/head automorph gimmick is decent, pressing the button at his navel splits the windows and rises his head out of the roof, with lights and sound. This makes the figure feel like it will break sometime down the line, but not a huge deal, however I personally would rather have a vertical articulating head than lights and sound.

Overall: I'd give him an 8.75. He's really quite great overall: great looking, lots of fun to transform, pretty fun to pose, but somewhat limited articulation, particularly in the legs, head, and the loose shoulder pieces. Some might find his back a bit kibbly in bot mode too I guess.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congratulations on your find fellow Canadian!

Which store was he at and how much did he set you back?

Nice pictures, I like the comparison shots with G1 Prime. He is smaller than I thought he would be, but that is good because he takes up less space, which means more room for more Transformers !

Every awesome Transformer that comes out, my wallet dies a little more.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I need to find Leader Prime.

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Thanks. I got him from Zellers dundas/bloor, but there none left after.

5. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got my leader prime yesterday. very happy with it, along with my many other movie toys. thank you zellers

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Zellers? Fred Meyers?

Hello Target, Wal-Mart and TRU!!!! Where are you???

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Awesome man. Tomorrow can't come fast enough. I don't mind Prime not being able to kneel down, I wasn't planning on posing him giving some head to Megatron anyway.

8. WeirdMetamorphosis

WeirdMetamorphosis Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if their is going to be a Leader Class of Megatron?

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. The prototype was the first Megatron toy we ever saw. Although painted images only surfaced recently.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    awesome

man i want this toy T___T

11. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yes, only giving us the ice megatron would just be mean.

12. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Do the rubber smokestacks come off? I wonder if there's some way to replace them with something a little more solid, you know, for us grown ups who won't poke our eyes out with them.

In any case, at least they're not stubs like we got with 20th or Commemorative Series Prime.

13. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Even with the way the rear wheel wells bend at the midpoint? I noticed you hadn't bent them in any of the shots... other reviews seemed to think Op had some pretty nice leg poseability so I'm getting conflicted messages here :p .

Either way, he's probably still a lot more poseable than Masterpiece prime by virtue of not being made of solid zinc, so I can't say I'm too disappointed either way... Leader Op looks deliciously sweet. He's going to look great filling up some of the empty space on my Optimus Prime shelf :thumb 

14. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

So artic is a little limited eh? hmm, add in the fact that both RiD Prime and Cybertron Prime look better hmmmm, i MAY still get him, but if i so i'm SOOOOOOOOOO doing something to make the head look more old school(still HATE the movie head designs, and alot of the body designs)

15. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I think just painting the grills on either side of his face blue and the blue part of his mouth plate silver will do wonders.

16. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah I don't have the back wheels bent up in those pics but this only helps articulation a little bit, and seems to take away from stability (less leg support). He can't bend his legs fully back into a kneeling stance even with the wheel flipped back as he has a little peg on the back/inside of each knee that gets in the way.

Oh, and the rubber smokestacks are looking pretty unremoveable.

17. AlphaPrime

Hmmm you might be right. Someone photoshop him!

18. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I think I like the unmodified, toy version paint scheme more. It gives his face more definition. He almost looks wheeljack-y painted as above.

19. AlphaPrime

Oooh, oks, i'ma get and repaint to be more Prime like that, prolly extend the silver of the crest upwards higher also, just looks wonky as is.

20. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Prime is so awesome. Seriously. My favourite Movie TF so far. I am opening my Blackout tommorow's. Yo, Paradigm, did you open the Real Gears? I am really debating opening mine, because the packaging on those suckers is pretty good.