TFTM '86 Dance scene...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Liege Prime, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As the only TF fan I know personally, I tend to like to make sure all my friends have seen the '86 movie- just for the sheer corniness of it (they think it's corny, I just love the nostalgia). Anyways, they have fun watching it and picking on it, but then, the dance scene comes up, and that's when I have to give in and say "yeah... I don't know."

Even back when I was a kid, whever that dance scene comes up, I always tend to feel a bit embarrassed. Anyways, I have no idea why this was in the movie, or what they were thinking when they made it. I have been reading these forums for over a year now and hear surprisingly little negativity about this scene. So, I just wanted to come out and ask why it was in there and see if anyone feels the same way about it then I did?

2. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Looks like they're Greek dancing. Since I like Greek dancing at family gatherings, I endorse this scene. I felt the same way then as I did now.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never felt embarraassed by it. The scene did show female Junkions... Anyway, I feel it was no better or worse than many other parts of the Movie. I like Weird Al's "Dare to be stupid". Kinda like a Hasbro theme song sometimes. :lol 

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's just a fun scene I guess....I've never put much thought into it, I liked the whole Kup and WreckGar talking TV part during it.

5. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, Kup and WreckGar were fine. I still feel that it was odd, in the middle of so many horrible things happening, to have a scene like that. Fun is one thing, but dancing and Grimlock getting kissed was odd to me, and the way the movie jumped right into it. Universal Greeting- wideshot of everyone dancing!

6. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Yeah its a pretty retarded scene I vote the next edition edit it out

7. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I get the same sensation as you, Hot Rod arrives and then all the sudden, they all start dancing, it's just too odd... it remembers me of a simpsons episode when the radioactive man is fighting some villains, and suddenly they all star dancing... pure stupidity.

8. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It just seems like a comedic smash-cut to me. It had been previously established that the "universal greeting" didn't seem to work that well on Quintessa, so it just plays on the expectations of the as-yet-seemingly-hostile Junkions. It's a joke.

Sure, it's a little heavy-handed, but I'd guess it was put in there to calm down the littlest of kiddies after the flick had fallen to quite a dark point. The fact that it seems so jarring is a testament to how engrossing the rest of the movie is.

Plus, if you're outnumbered by a huge army of TV-talking Junk-Robots and they want to dance... you better dance, son!

9. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I know it could've been meant to eleviate the stress that was all built up, but figuring I was 7 or 8 when I first saw this, I was pretty much in their main age bracket, and back then I was so happy watching it that it didn't FEEL like a kids movie. My Dad and older brother all watched it and liked it to, but when that scene came out, it was like blatantly saying "this is a kids movie". As far as it being comical, well, I don't know anyone who laughed- at least not in a good way.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i thought this was gonna be abt the benny banasi video remix.

11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I was never embarrassed by the Junkion/Autobot dancing scene. When I first saw it in the theater as a kid, I was more like WTF?! It was awkward or weird, but it fit the mood and it's grown on me over the years. It's just a bit of comedy tossed in to lighten up the Autobot massacre that had happened shortly before (at least that's my opinion on it).

The only thing that really bothers me about the scene is the fact they kept this in the movie, while cutting (or never producing) better scenes that would (or could) have explained a bit more. I'd love to have seen ANY other scenes that could have furthered the story or given more insight as to where half of the original G1 characters actually disappeared to (Shockwave, Sideswipe, Hound, Sunstreaker, Trailbreaker, Inferno, etc.). It's been a while since I've watched every episode of Season 3, but I don't recall those guys in it or even being mentioned again. It would have been nice to see what actually happened to them, instead of a goofy dance scene. But it still works.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I hated that scene, too.

I hated most of the terribly cheesy, instantly-dating music, and am befuddled by the fact that both Vince DiCola and Stan Bush have evidently never moved past the 1980s in style.

In retrospec, the critics were right - that film is bloody awful.

13. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't understand why people expect everyone to be accounted for, in a movie that takes place 20 years after they last were seen. Maybe they should release a "super nitpicky nerdcore edition" with a scrolling list at the start.

"After the events of season 2, this has happened:
    * Inferno died in an expedition to Antarctica in 1989
    * Sideswipe got stepped on by Defensor in 1991, who then went into hiding until shortly after the events of this movie
    * Smokescreen took his inclusion in the script as a bad omen and left the Autobot cause before he could be killed"

14. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    lol

The same reason people bitched about seeing Hot Rod, Kup, or Ultra Magnus appear out of thin air back when Transformers: The Movie hit theaters. It was just odd to see something new that was thrown in there without any real explanation. Same goes for wanting to know what the hell happened to the others. SOME of them were in TFTM, yet they are never explained as being dead or anything. The only ones we KNOW are dead, are the ones that are shown in the Autobot tomb during Dark Awakening (Ironhide, Prowl, etc.--the very same characters that we were shown being killed in the movie).

To make a long story short, because I'd simply like to know (and I know I'm not the only one).

15. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

I thought that scene fit in perfectly with the Junkions. They were the comic relief along with the dinobots. Only fitting to put them together and dance. Funiest scene in the movie. Add Weird Al and you are set. Plus, it was really, really short, so no big deal. Have no problems with it at all. Granted it was the lightest scene in the movie, which may be why everyone is all hell bent with it. Things can't always be dark you know. After all this was a childrens movie.

16. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    So your problem is that a stupid movie for children has a stupid, childish scene in it?

You should be embarassed for saying you like that movie.

17. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

P.S. I also thought that any scenes with Wheelie in them were 10 times worse than this scene. So ... if anything should be cut from the film it should be those scenes first.

18. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I'm kind of amazed all the goofy crap leading up to that instance doesn't also incite some embarassment.

the film is balls to the wall goofy start to finish. even its most epic moments are pure B movie camp.

TFTM is like Army Of Darkness. you have to watch it with your tongue in cheek or you're not doing it right.

19. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    First, like I said, I was a kid when I saw it who was HAPPY that it felt more grown up. So, being in that state of mind, yes, it was embarrassing and I am certainly not embarrassed to say I loved the movie because I was 8 when I saw it. I am saying that this rediculous scene NEVER fit in, while watching it at any age, IMO.

The movie was ultra cheesy, but as a kid I didn't care about those things and as an adult I can easily laugh at those things, like you said, similar to Army of Darkness. Now, if people started dancing around in AOD, it probably wouldn't have made much sense either, and I probably wouldn't have liked that. The dance scene, like I said, was not just cheesy, it was odd and out of place even by the rest of the cheesy standards in the movie, so I have always thought.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not a big fan of the movie by any means. That scene is crap but so are some of the others. I hate Daniel and his damn hover board and Wheelie too. However, nostalgia makes me look past the crap, it just has a charm to it.