TFTM 1986 Soundtrack Re-Release

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Grimlock_13, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I didn't see any feedback on this and thought I'd post a new thread. If I missed it mods, please close this one. Thanks!

Picked it up at Walmart yesterday and I've jamming out to it since then:D 

It really brought back some memories of seeing the 86 movie for the first time, and then getting the soundtrack a few years later.

My personal thoughts:

- I realize many think the '86 soundtrack is outdated and corny due to the 80's metal bands and sounds on those particular songs on the album. Personally I love 80's rock and love the songs. Are they cheesy? Oh hell yeah you'd better believe they are. But there's something about those crunching guitars and thumping drums that will always remind me of the TF movie, since that was my first real exposure to that kind of music (my parents are very religeous, and just liten to church music). Whether or not you like those songs will all boil down to personal taste.

-Lion's theme song rawks my sawks. I still remember the drum beat crescendo intro from when I was sitting in the theater at age 5. That was also the first drum beat I sat down and played when I started playing drums...so the song has a little sentimental value to me;) 

- Vince DiCola is a great composer. I listened to the instrumental/ electronic scores with just as much interest as I did the ones with vocals. I actually plan to do an arrangement of a medley of his TFTM work in my drumline genre, it hit me that hard. Great great work.

- The bonus tracks are AWESOME to have. Unicron's theme, Moon Base II and Megatron Must Be Stopped parts 1 & 2 are more spectacular scores by DiCola. The only track that I didn't really get into was the alternate Transformers theme song by Stan Busch. It has some nice reprises of Vince DiCola's scores from the movie, but thats about it.

Overall for $12 I think it's a great value. If your old cassette (or 8 track!;) ) is worn out, this is a great CD to have for the price and the memories.

2. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Nice. I need to go get that. I love that soundtrack 80's cheese and all!!

3. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I have the original CD still, is there any difference, was it updated or better sound mix or anything?

4. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    I haven't listened to the original in years, but I think there was some remastering...though don't quote me on that, I'll have to check the insert to see if it mentions anything about it when I get home. The insert itself is cool, but it's the same DON artwork as the 20th anniversary DVD case so if you have that it's nothing new.

5. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both and the tracks that they share sound the same to me. The new one just has the extra tracks, which I recommend to all Vince Dicola fans. For everyone else, the original will do fine.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

i didn't get , i recently got the exclusive convention cd that has the whole vince dicola score which is awesome.

7. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    The insert also doesn't say anything about any re-mastering done, so I assume it's the same.

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'm currently listening to it and realized that I really only like the music by Vince DiCola. They should have left the other music out. Only the track by Weird Al Yankovic is acceptable. OK and of course Lion's Transformers theme is great (but nowaways I prefer Black Labs cover version over the original).

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like both the score and the music. The score was released at a Botcon years ago (maybe it was OTFCC back then) but I thought I heard somewhere that Vince was going to re release it like he did with the Rocky IV score.