TFTM '07 - Voyager Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, Feb 5, 2007.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    VEHICLE MODE

Finally a real transforming Hummer! Main color is some kind of mustardish green. The deco is actually pretty nice, and there is some cool detailing all over (like the molded tools - too bad they're not painted!). The toy is of a decent size (bigger than the Armada Red Alert/Energon Prowl mold).

TRANSFORMATION

Pretty unique to say the least. Legs unfold from the rear, lower legs rotate 180 degrees, chest is the vehicle front, but upside down, arms unfold from behind the doors. The whole waist has some pretty cool stuff going on when you put everything into place. I particularly like how the windchield splits in two to form some kind of skirt for Ratchet. The automorph gimmick is pretty clever too. Not necessary but very welcomed. I prefer that to cyberkey-activated gimmick. The roof thing transforms into a shield/pincer that can either go on the back of the robot or on the left arm. On the right forearm, the cover unfolds to transform into a battle axe.

ROBOT MODE

Imposing and unique. The headsculpt is pretty spectacular. Articulation is pretty good : shoulders, elbows, head, hips, knees, feet. Would have been nice to have some wrist joints, but Ratchet is still plenty poseable. My favorite Voyager since Evac I would say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I'm not wild about this guy. I dislike Hummers, the color is terrible, and the headsculpt is uglier than a lunch lady. I'll try & hold out for the rumored red & white repaint.

3. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    There is no rumored red & white repaint coming, it's only a desperate suggestion made by fans who are unable to accept that Transformers can be different. The only red & white non-movie vehicle known so far is Inferno and he doesn't even transform into a Hummer.

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I would tend to think Inferno would be the rumoured repaint of Ratchet though, even if Inferno's concept art show him as a GMC (or Chev. cant remember) I doubt Hasbro would modify the mold just to have a different front end. But hey what do I know.

5. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Still, I wouldn't consider some fan's wishful thinking a rumor.

6. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I think the rumour has to do with this just so you dont think all it is is just some fan's wishful thinking.

-Quoted from list of Movie Toy releases-

HAS81060 TRANFORMERS MOVIE VYGR ASST 6-53569-23295-7 4
    2055 TRA MOVIE VOYAGER BLACKOUT W/SCORPONOK 6-53569-11104-7
    2056 TRA MOVIE VOYAGER AUTOBOT RATCHET 6-53569-11105-4
    2057 TRA MOVIE VOYAGER IRONHIDE 6-53569-11106-1
    2058 TRA MOVIE VOYAGER STARSCREAM 6-53569-11107-8
    2059 TRA MOVIE VOYAGER OPTIMUS PRIME 6-53569-23765-5
    2060 TRA MOVIE VOYAGER MEGATRON 6-53569-23766-2
    2061 TRA MVIE VYGR AUTOBOT RATCHET AMBULANCE 6-53569-24888-0
    2062 TRA MOVIE VOYAGER THUNDERCRACKER 6-53569-23767-9

Being that there are two Voyager Ratchets, it may be possible to assume one of them is a repaint.

7. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Maybe just a different code for the same toy in a different assortment? Who knows.

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's been nothing to either confirm or deny a Ratchet redeco at some point, although the two computer listings do make it seem likely. I'm not aware of any toys in recent lines that have received new numbers unless there was a redeco or a packaging change.

If history has shown us anything, it is quite likely that all these molds will see repaints - either associated with the movie in an 'expanded universe' style, or at some point in a future line. Regardless, I'll be getting any and all versions. This is an excellent mold. Thanks for the advance pics.

9. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, there is enough evidence to make the white/red repaint a valid rumor: the guy who revealed the original Ratchet/Inferno design said the second listing was for that.

And by the way you described the windshield as a "skirt," it sounds like it might not be transformed right. The windshield halves rotate all the way around to sit on the back.

10. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I just got my test shot, and I LOVE him. He's not quite 1:24 scale, but he fits in with the Alternators anyway.

11. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Not sure about that one, looks like they're going to break if I try to do that. They look better on the sides.

12. DarthChop

DarthChop Cybertronian Warrior

Ratchet does look cool in vehicle AND bot-mode... I'm soooooo glad he isn't a crappy ambulance like the one in the cartoon... the colour scheme doesn't work very well in the real world.

Check out my ratchet pics & others at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42222146@N00/

13. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I wouldn't say they don't work, they work quite well.

In some metro areas, like mine, there is an emergency service called Tucson Rural Metro Fire Department. ALL of their vehicles are about the same color as Ratchet and some even have a similar paint scheme. If I ever get a chance to get a photo of one, I'll post it here.

The reason he is painted that color is for visibility reasons. Other areas have Search and Rescue vehicles painted the same color as during wildfires and other situations a red vehicle can't be seen as well. There is no missing a big, bright, and neon(ish) green emergency vehicle.

14. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Here are some comparison pictures from figures already in my collection next to the new Voyager sized ratchet. Even though not shown in the images, Ratchet is closer to actual scale (if you care to call it that) is about 1:30 to 1:32. I based this off of his doors and comparing him to Classics Bumblebee...

Here are the pictures:
    First Movie Longview w/ Classics Bumblebee to establish a basic comparison
    [​IMG]

Now, Ratchet in robot mode only pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, after seeing these images think of this. Movie Ironhide is a MUCH bigger figure from what I've seen and couple compare his picture too. I'm estimating 'ol Ironhide will be a half a head to a head taller then Ratchet.

Now, there's one thing I don't get regarding Ratchet's robot mode. He has NO visible Autobot emblem. I hope the Autobots introduce themselves as friendly otherwise the military will be shooting at them as much as the Decepticons. If they don't then it may be hard to distinguish the good from the bad in robot mode.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ratchet appears quite beefy by voyager toy standards, dwarfing the Alternator/KP molds and all.

16. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

I am liking the movie toys, I'm going to be so broke by the end of the year it's not funny. For a voyager, Ratchet looks huge, can't wait. When are these supposed to be hitting stores?

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    A few pics to properly show how Ratchet transforms; without instructions, this is the order I've found works best.
    OK, we'll start off in truck mode.
    [​IMG]
    Start by removing the roof rack. Move the top of the cab forward, and unclip the panels behind the doors.
    [​IMG]
    Fold the "doors" out to the sides; the sides of the vehicle front end will fold out a little, then the arms fold out. Rotate the arms 180 degrees at the shoulders, and position the lower arms as shown.
    Now move your attention to the vehicle's rear. Slide/swing the rear fender under the vehicle (make sure it slides as far as it will go, otherwise it can catch the lower legs inrobot mode). Flip out the feet; the auto-transform feature (panels on the legs, and the kneepads) is activated by this.
    [​IMG]
    Swing the legs down at the hips. Straighten the legs out, and rotate thelower legs 180 degrees.
    Swing out the windscreen halves as shown.
    [​IMG]
    Fold the front of the vehicle down as shown; it clips into the bar that connects the front & back of the vehicle. Swing this bar up to the back of the waist; it has a peg that fits into the rear of the waist.
    [​IMG]
    Fold back the lower part of the vehicle front, to reveal ratchet's face. Fold the vehicle sides behind the doors, and there he is.
    [​IMG]
    It's a very instinctive transformation. The way his works is innovative, but it doesn't make his transformation unnecessarily complicated. Everything locks into place firmly in both modes, and the auto-transform gimmick is fairly cool and doesn't get in the way of his articulation.
    Articulation is very good, but has its flaws; his hip movement is very limited, due to the upper edges of the legs hitting the lower body. There isn't any wrist movement at all; it's not really that missed, but it would have been nice.
    Detail wise, Ratchet is extremely impressive; just about every robot mode surface has some form of mechanical detailing on it. Having said that, a paint wash would really help him out here; the light plastic tends to make alot of this detail disappear.
    His eyes are moulded in blue plastic, and have light piping; however the plastic is so dark that it's not very effective, making him look like he has black eyes.
    The axe is a nice touch, as is the claw:
    [​IMG]
    The claw has a little "switch" on it that locks it open. The axe swings out from under the forearm (the hand rotates back into the forearm, and is covered by a panel) and splits open.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to point out something -really- cool:

Ratchet transforms cinematically. Like, he could stand up while transforming.

I LOVE that.

19. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Oh wait, that's how the windshield is supposed to be transformed? I never noticed that hinge before! And it seems to fit perfectly... althought it was more fun with the windshiel on each side upside-down....

EDIT : I think the halves are supposed to be rotated around completely to the back (as seen in my03tundra's pics)... It makes the excellent Ratchet even more excellent imo.

20. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Post some photos of Ratchet fighting Starscream! :)