TFTM '07 Special Edition DVD Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by StrawHatPirate, Oct 13, 2007.

1. StrawHatPirate

StrawHatPirate KaizokuOu

I'm going to review this to the best of my ability, as I've not really done a review before. Also, I didn't see anywhere around here that a copy had been reviewed already, but if there's already a thread somewhere else, mods can lock this or do whatever they do in a situation like that.

I managed to score a copy of the 2 disc special edition last night because a local store decided to put them out right after getting them in yesterday as opposed to waiting until Tuesday (they did this with the single disc version and Planet Terror, too). I was actually there looking for the score to the movie (no luck) and saw the display and just said 'What the hell?' and grabbed a copy.

Disc One - The Movie

The menus look great. The main menu for the first disc shows Optimus holding the Allspark in his hand and various scenes from the movie can be seen playing as the camera rotates around the Allspark. The 'Set Up' and 'Scene Selection' menus pretty much branch off of this using the Allspark as a background.

The movie itself remains unchanged from its initial theatrical release. I know we were told a while back that none of the IMAX scenes would be on here and they aren't. I'm a little disappointed since I enjoyed the extra bits in the IMAX version, but whatever. It's not a huge loss.

The transfer for the movie is gorgeous. Granted, I've only got a 27" Standard-def TV and no sound system, but movie looks amazing and sounds just as great. The video looks generally spot on to what I remember from my original viewing in the theatre, as well as the IMAX viewing. Also, from what I can tell, the audio is just as crisp and clean. Granted, I'm sure it's much better coming through a home theatre set up, as opposed to my TV's speakers, but still.

I've not watched the movie with the commentary from Michael Bay, yet, so I can't really comment on that, but I'm anxious to hear his commentary. I'm a huge fan of DVD commentaries, and I'd imagine it'll make a great side piece to the various extras found on disc 2.

Disc 2 - Special Features

The menus on this disc are for all the Decepticon fans out there. The menu starts out with a view of Megatron who forms a Decepticon insignia in the palm of his hand. The camera then moves into his eye and the menu shows up with a large rotating Decepticon insignia in the background. From here you can choose between 'Our World,' 'Their War,' and 'More Than Meets the Eye.' The standard Play All option is present inside each sub menu so you can watch all the featurettes together if you so choose.

A quick note: There are some 'deleted scenes' throughout the second disc featurettes, but I use this term loosely. They're labeled as such while you're watching, but they largely look like cleaned up footage from the dailies when shooting, and there's not any extra robot stuff.

Under 'Our World' you get the sub categories 'The Story Sparks,' 'Human Allies,' 'I Fight Giant Robots,' and 'Battle Ground.' These are largely self explanatory. You get some good featurettes here about how the production came together, some of the casting choices, some good info on the military involvement in the film and location choices. Tons of cast and crew show up in these, even the big dog, Spielberg, appears in a number of interviews in these.

This menu has a great Easter Egg on it. If you start scrolling down from 'Play All' go down to 'I Fight Giant Robots' and press down one more time. You should bypass 'Battle Ground' and instead see a large Cybertronian glyph on the left (it will be your left as you're looking at the TV) of the Main Menu option. You'll be treated to a great use of the Alt. Ravage (first version, not kitty version) body.

With 'Their War' you're getting quite a bit of good stuff on the Transformers themselves. Here you've got 'Rise of the Robots,' 'Autobots Roll Out,' 'Decepticons Strike' and 'Inside the Allspark.' You get some pretty decent history of the Transformers here. Various clips from the 80's cartoon and movie and some commercials are used. There's some footage from Botcon '07, I believe in here, too. Both faction featurettes let you in on a bit of the character selection process, but both tend to get a little sidetracked talking about vehicles, but it's all good info. The last featurette deals with the challenges of making all the Transformers look realistic and look like they belonged in our world. Again, it's all pretty fascinating stuff.

Again, you get an Easter Egg here, too. Scroll down to 'Inside The Allspark' and then hit Left on your DVD remote. You'll get another large Cybetronian glyph to the left of the Main Menu option. Press Enter for a fun featurette on Bay's cameo in the movie.

'More Than Meets The Eye' contains the 'From Script to Sand: The Scorponok Desert Attack,' 'Concepts,' and 'Trailers.' I've not watched the Scorponok featurette yet, so I can't say much. 'Concepts' and 'Trailers' are exactly what they say. 'Concepts' gives you a nice montage of concept art set to music and 'Trailers' gives you a separate menu to watch a few of the trailers from.

The first Easter Egg here is found by pressing Up on your DVD remote when your cursor is on 'From Script to Sand.' You'll get the obligatory Cybertronian glyph, etc. ou know the drill by now. You'll be treated to a featurette on the casting of Mojo, Sam's dog. The second Easter Egg is found in the 'Trailers' menu. Scroll down to 'Theatrical Trailer 4' and press Right on your DVD remote. You'll get the Cybertronian glyph, etc. This feature shows a little behind the scenes fun with X-Bot's rampage.

That's about it, really. Admittedly, it's an excellent set for anyone who enjoyed the movie. I'm incredibly pleased with the special features and the movie itself. It looks great and there's plenty to keep fans busy for a few hours after the movie. It's a definite must own for everyone who enjoyed the movie in theatres.

CLICK HERE for a small gallery of pics of the DVD case, etc.

2. nightboomfer

nightboomfer SeƱor Member

Is the special edition the one Wal-Mart is packing together with the prequel comic?

3. StrawHatPirate

StrawHatPirate KaizokuOu

I don't think Wal-Mart has a comic pack-in. I think Wal-Mart is just doing the single disc version with a bonus DVD pack-in.

4. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

what store was that that put the damn thing out early?

5. StrawHatPirate

StrawHatPirate KaizokuOu

It's a locally owned music store. It wasn't one of the large chain stores or anything like that.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    There's at least 2 threads with lists of bonuses. Check N&R/TFGD
    EDIT: I did the work for anyone that comes here wanting to know... http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=153863

I'm entirely on the fence about actually opening and watching this after I get it...

7. therealjondoe

therealjondoe Well-Known Member

got mine friday night too. kmart slipped up and had a few copies laying out.

8. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I always get the most "complete" versions of movies, but I usually never end up watching or caring about any of the extras :p 

9. Vagabond Elf

Vagabond Elf Well-Known Member

Well, here's hoping they quite that before they get caught. It does vary from store to store depending on the supply contract, but generally it's a multi-thousand dollar fine for releasing early. If the studio's sufficently pissed at you (that is, if you're in direct competition with a major retailer and they raise a huge stink about it) they may even stop selling to you. It's really not a lot of fun...