TFTM 07 Robot Heroes Wave 2

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Grimlock_13, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've had these little guys for awhile and didn't see a thread for them, so I thought I'd throw in my $.02 on them.

Armor Bumblebee

My favorite of the wave. Great to finally have a battle mask Bumblebee in a toy, even if it is a Robot hero. The head sculpt is dead-on to whats shown in the film with some great sculpting. The paint is perfect on mine. Love the pose, really looks like he's guarding that Allspark! It has head and arm articulation, but his right arm movement is really hindered by the Allspark. But it looks best nestled there anyway.

[​IMG]

Starscream

Not too bad, but Starscream's design really doesn't work well in the custesy Robot Heroes style. Plenty of details throughout though. The facial experession really looks evil! While Megatron looks like a rabid Care Bear, starscream looks like one of those Pacman Ghosts that just got a robot body a 'la Nixon in Futurama and is ready to kick some ass. Starscream has head and arms articulation, but the right arm need to be placed palm down in order for it to stand up.

[​IMG]

Optimus 2

Optimus without the facemask and with his sword. Too bad they couldn't have used bright red or orage paint on the sword, or modeled it a little closer to the blade from the movie. The facial details aren't all that clear. Articulation is head and arms. No waist movement on this one. The straightness of the blade arm looks really stiff and won't yield itself to many cool poses unfortunately.

[​IMG]

Scorponok

My second favorite of the wave. Even in the movie style, Scorponok's beast mode looks great done custey. The wide eyes make the entire toy for me :lol  The only arcticulation is the arms. A tail swivel would have been nice, but thats my only nitpick. I love the little guy.

[​IMG]

Protoform Jazz

This guy came from left field, but there's not many more Autobot characters they could have used unless they do a Classic Camero Bumblebee or delve into the non-movie toys. Since all Protoforms supposedly look alike they could have used any of the Autobots' names for it, but the pose definitely made me think of Jazz jumping down off the dar dealership roof and squatting before getting his alt. mode, so it works nicely. Pretty plain overall with few color variations from the blue-grey and silver. Articulation is head and arms. If you put both arms behind his back it looks like he's powering up a huge fart (forgot to take pics of that one) :lol 

[​IMG]

"Brawlustator"

Totally solid overall. Perfect rendition of the movie character, with all the weapons present and accounted for. One of the bigger Robot heroes as well, so the character's size is pretty well taken into consideration. One of the best of the wave. The only thing I'd think to make it better is adding some camo detailing to liven and break up the overall solid green coloring. Aritculation is head and arms.

[​IMG]

Ironhide

My least favorite of the wave by far. The awkward pose and all black details really make it not that great aestetically. Plus the face lacks the character the movie design has, and the coloring runs together making what details there actually ARE hard to see. Head and arm articulation is there, but you can't really make a good pose other than the one I have here. Disappointing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonecrusher

Love the movie character but this one, like Ironhide, doesn't come close to being a proper representation of its onscreen counterpart. The face looks goofy (well, goofiER than the other RHs) and has a grumpy mouth, and the exaggerated 'quasimodo-like' proportions of the CGI design, which IMO are part of what made the whole character, aren't there. It does have small minesweeper blades oon its back, and the wheel feet are present though. It has head and arm articulation, but the left arm (the fist) has to touch the ground for support to stand (Like Starscream) which is a little disappointing.

[​IMG]

Overall, they're Robot Heroes so you'll love them or hate them. I don't regret getting them at all, though I prefer the G1 RHs since they are more condusive for the cutesy style.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My Bonecrusher can balance without the left arm, let it tip back a little and it should balance on the kibble on the side of his legs.

3. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Ah cool, thanks for the tip I'll have to try that later on

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ironhide was the one I was looking forward to the most from this wave after seeing the unpainted sculpt at BotCon. I personally don't mind the pose, since there's not much you can really do with the super deformed proportions and the huge guns. I do really dislike the gold paint and it's so out of place and in your face that it turns me off to the whole figure. A gunmetal or cobalt blue would've worked better. :/

5. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    I agree

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    wah, i found all of em...except bumble screamer. had to pass. grr.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm getting them all.

Plain and simple.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got Prime/Scorpy, and Ironhide/Bonecrusher so far. Part of the problem with (some of) the movie RH's is that they try to humanize/anthropomorphise them more, in addition to simply chibi-ing them up. On some it works well (Barricade and Jazz in the first wave was excellent, and Scorpy is adorable in a silly way. Mouthy Prime and Ironhide are OK but not great. As was said, many details are obscured, and one almost has to be told that Prime has the mouth uncovered in this version. Bonecrusher is an example of the anthropomorphism failing IMO, as adding more humanoid facial features and changing the proportions kinda kill what made BC distinctive in the first place.

9. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Totally agree

10. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Didn't even finish the review before grabbing Jazz and letting him rip off a smelly one! who me?

11. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

I... um... *head explodes*

Scorpie is... too cute...

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    just got em thx to cata, thx bud. so glad to get these guys, since basically outside of leader brawl, im pretty much done with movie toys.

still think its actually proto prime, but they just called him jazz to avoid putting out too many primes. actually found a version of scorpy i like.

13. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

I just got my complete Robot Heroes set in the mail from BBTS before Christmas, so here's what I think:

Overall, the entire set is very well done. They did a great job simplifying the coplex movie designs. All the key elements of each design are there, nothing is really "missing" per se. So how about some pics and a quick review of each wave 2 set?

Optimus Prime vs Scorponok

Probably the set I like the least. The Optimus Prime is a slight remold of the Prime in the fist wave of Movie Heroes (the one packed with Blackout). His legs are identical, but his upper body, arms (with a sword instead of a gun now) and head have been remolded. He can't move at the waist either, which is a shame. Prime is also sans-faceplate and he has ugly fish-lips (just like in the movie!). Paint apps are good, and it's worth noting that he isn't quite the same shade of silver as the first Prime - more "dirty" if that makes any sense, it's less shiny in any case.

[​IMG]

Scorponok is cute, very simplified (maybe the most of all 16 Movie Heroes), his big boogly eyes are cute but I do have a few problems with the mold. It would have been cool if his head or tail could move, only his claws have some movement - still, he makes a cute display piece.

[​IMG]

Protoform Jazz vs Brawl

Protoform Jazz (or Prime, or anybody, they all look the same) is a decent figure. the one I got can seem to keep his feet leveled - I try to bend his foot straight but the plastic just bends right back. Great paint detailing on this one, the gold looks great and good range of movement with both arms and the head.

[​IMG]

Brawl is easily one of the best Movie Heroes in the set, and one of the best of all the Robot Heroes. He can move both arms and his head and has a wide range of cute little weapons - he looks just as dangerous as a cute little Robot Hero as he did on the big screeen! He is so friggin' adorable and the sculpt is very detailed. Just take a good look at the face and you can see all the grooves and wires! The gold paint apps really spice up the military green colours, the toy is an all-around hit!

[​IMG]

Bumblebee vs Starscream

This is probably the all-around best set of the new wave. (Armor) Bumblebee is an even better sculpt than the first Movie Hero BB. This time around, Bumblebee is sporting his cool battle-mask and is ready to defend the Allspark against the Decepticons. His pose is classic, and with the simple movement of his arm, he can look like he's defending the Allspark against the Decepticon forces or like he's gearing up to throw a "Hail-Mary" to a fellow Autobot on the field (Think Transformers: Animated premiere). My only gripe with this Hero is his right arm, the one holding the Allspark, which can't really move.

[​IMG]

Starscream is another brilliant rendition of a complexe movie design. Even as a cute little Hero, this guy looks vicious! Sharp claws and talons and a face that only a mother could love! Joking aside, they really did a great job on the face - they kept the "insectoid" look, which I wish they would have done with Frenzy and Bonecrusher - smiles don't work on Decepticons, especially not the movie ones... The mold is incredibly detailed and the colouring job is excellent. The figure looks especially good perched on high shelves!

[​IMG]

Ironhide vs Bonecrusher

Ironhide is a weird little Robot Hero. It's a very nice sculpt, lots of detail and a very good rendering of the character - even with a cute little head that's oddly endearing. But I can't get over those colours... they're just... well, wrong. He's got a good range of movement (arms and head) but the fact that he seems to be almost staring down at the floor is a little strange. If you can get past the weird choice of colours, he's pretty decent.

[​IMG]

Bonecrusher is the real gem of this set though. The first thing I want to say is his pose is great! They really captured him skating down a freeway or something, on his way to rip more buses in half. Unlike Ironhide, Bonecrusher's colours are spot-on accurate. The silver highlights on his knees, elbows, chest, head and shoulder spikes look great, the tires are nice and visible and the gold detailing on his hands and face really bring out the detail of the sculpt. The only problem I have is that he has a hard time balancing if his left arm isn't touching the ground, but if you lean him to the left (his right - he would be resting on one of his feet-spike on his right foot) he can stay standing up at an angle without any support from his arms. I wasn't a huge fan of his face at first (the boxart makes him look like a monkey), but it's cute in a odd way - I just wish they would have kept the insectoid head, like they did with Starscream.

[​IMG]

I loved the G1 heroes and can't wait for the BW ones, but if you're a fan of the line, still check out the movie versions. Don't dismiss them just because "they can't translate the complex designs into cute, chubby heroes figures" when, in fact, they succeeded in doing so. You have to see them in person to appreciate how well they did translate the movie models.

14. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I found these the other day. I bought all except the "JAZZ" (with finger quotes) and Deva-rawl. They're okaaaay........

tiny Scorp is blowing my mind though. Possibly the cutest TF ever produced. He's definitely up there with deluxe Bonecrusher as my favorite of the whole TF movie line. He NEEEEDS head articulation, but a careful slice behind the head and a revoltech joint should take care of that.

robot heroes Scorponok is one of those amazingly smile-inducing toys like revoltech Yotsuba, deluxe Bonecrusher, classics Grimlock, g1 Bumblebee, and lego minifig Darth Vader. You can't help but smile while looking at it. The other ones from this series are decent. I'm unhappy with Ironhide and Starscream. But Scorp makes it worth it.

I give RH Scorponok 194 thumbs up and 83,000,000,000 cool points.

15. prowl007

prowl007 Axisjump

Now this has got me thinking:
    Tf robot heroes = decoys?
    :inquisiti 

16. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Yeah only way better!!!!!!!!!!! :D