TFTM '07 - Leader Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, May 11, 2007.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Since no one is doing it...

ALTERNATE MODE

A massive (almost 11'' long) and quite heavy Peterbilt truck. Rubber tires and smoketack tips. Circuits-like detailing on the windshield. Clear blue headlights, windshield and side windows. Little Autobol symbol on the front. About the only downside in that mode is the visible weapon at the back, but it's not that bad. Still, there should have been a way to fold it away by making it pivoting down or something. Tons of mechanical detailings all over, including the underside. Nothing got overlooked! The truck itself is very tight, nothing is flopping around. Clearly the best of all 5 movie Prime trucks in that mode. No robot parts are really visible in that mode and that's good. Pushing the button on the roof will activate lights behind the windshield and a horn sound effect. Pretty fun, although I wish headlights would have been flashing instead (like G2 Laser Optimus Prime). I for one like the 3-tone paint job. The flames look pretty good and I never thought they would back when Prime's design was first unveiled. Now I wouldn't live without them!

TRANSFORMATION

Something to be seen. Tons of parts moving around (you've probably seen the video reviews already). The highlights : automorphing in the feet (swing the bumber and the "toes" flip up" ; automorphing in the lower legs (swing the knee pads to bring forward the "shins"); automorphing in the chest area (push the button and the cab/windshield/torso opens, head pops out and triggers automorphing sound and lights). Really cool. Hands are stored in the forearms, something that should standard on all Transformers as I hate visible hands in alternade mode (you can see them under Voyager Prime or Deluxe Wreckage, for example). I suggest to move the rear wheels up to gain poseability. That's probably the sole purpose of those hinges although the instructions do not mention that extra step.

ROBOT MODE

Imposing. Poseable. Super stable. Fingers that can be moved individually. Head turns. A lever on the lower left arm swing forward the weapon over Optimus' hand (that reminds me a bit of Energon Omega Supreme lever-activated claw). Again, a lot of detailing all over the figure. I especially like the smooth lines of the lower legs. About the only things that could have been done to improve the figure : head and hands could have been on ball joints. But as it is, Movie Leader Optimus Prime is awesome. Definetly the best Prime truck I've had in years, if ever.

Truck mode...

[​IMG]

Robot mode (with Arcee)...

[​IMG]

With the other movie Primes...

[​IMG]

All the movie Prime trucks together...

[​IMG]

2. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Man I cant wait to get this figure! Off to the toy stores today!

3. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Brilliance of arse-kicking proportions, I utterly want that guy! The truck is just so damn... 'trucky': Big, chunky and cool!

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Oh boy! Must have!

5. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Looks great, can't wait to find one.

Do the grey plastic parts (like the stacks) hurt the look of the toy at all?

6. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I think they look fine. Silver paint would have looked even cheaper imo and I'm not sure chrome all over the place would be the way to go.

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    BY THE MATRIX!!! WOW! Damn, my wallet sure is going to be hurting. I plan on only getting a few SELECT movie figures as I can't afford to get all of them. For me, movie only characters (or collectible items) and only specific versions of each character. Leader Class Optimus Prime (as is the Voyager and even the deluxe - non FAB - are all good figures) and Leader Class Megatron are definitley on my list.

8. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

Nice review and comp. pics.

Can you do pics of the vehicle mode with an alternator and the robot mode with an alternator?

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think I just might pick him up as well now, based on the strength of your review.

10. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    yea i have him and he is indead awesome...he is so much better in person than the pics

11. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I love this new Prime, is awesome!

12. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Nice review and he is freakin huge.

13. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Any chance of pics with hin and MP Prime?

14. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK here is a review that i am thoroughly looking forward to doing as i was one of the biggest haters of the movie toys and Primes shape formost.

Robot mode:

[​IMG]

Right foot is not transformed properly in this pic!

OK my dirst thoughts were he looks ok, this was in the box. After i caught my breath from finding them and after i called Dirge i picked him up and was pleasantly surprised. To put it bluntly i fell in love!
    I have him home and out of the box, far more attractive than the way he appears in the movie. He is nice and solid looking, he is very sturdy and has a good presence.
    Bla bla bla i know but here we go from the feet up:
    His feet are his front grill, but they have a very cool little funvtion; you twist the bottom of the bumper and it flips out his..... toes i guess and it is brilliant. Now we have his fenders as his shins with the wheels attatched, then to a very posable knee joint with great movement. Then the standard thighs with nice ratchet joints attatched to the hips. The hip area is locked in nice and tight by a tab, it is rather thin but this has some attention drawn away from it by the rear wheels which sit right in beside the hip. Now we have a really nice chest area which is in no doubt the cabin of the truck, in the rear of this is his fuel cells and other parts that fold out to to make the truck mode. Next is the arms and great arms they are, brilliant ratchet joints and flow. The right hand has a gun that flips out over the hand, but can also be removed. Lastly there is the head, Thankfully he has his face plate on and looks enough like Optims to make me very happy.

Transformation:
    Point to note i had a go at doing this without the instructionsas allways and was able to work it out.
    OK first you push down the small lever in the middle of the chest and use a small latch peice to lock it in. Doing this lowers the head and closes the front of the cabin. Next is placing his hands away, same as the classic seekers really; lift a latch flip the hands away. Now pull down the rear wheels area by releasing a couple of small tabs. Next is time to pull down the hip, now that it is loose the instructions tell you to close the area that holds the hands but i close it right away. Now we rotate the the arms forward and lift up the wrist area to the shoulder. Close the small tabs that point up beside primes head and move a latch over the top of them. There is now an area around the back that needs to come out, with this you also flip the shin area which is the bonnet of the truck. At the back is the feul tanks, push them down and into position. this will move the tab that we just flipped out at the rear into it's right position at the front of the truck. Now there is an area that is attatched to the wrists, move it into a 45degree angle towards the front of the truck. Rotate the shoulder joints to the rear which gives you the cabin area of the truck. Now the legs need to come forward to make the front of the truck and the rear wheels go back to finish off the truck. It all locks in brilliantly!

Vehicle mode:

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong i would rather a flat nose truck!
    That aside here we go, he is great. Brilliant size nice and sturdy and fits the description of a long nose truck to scale. The stacks are plastic but they are long enough (Unlike the MP's) to loog good. The flame detailing is well done even though i personally don't like the idea but the figure has it.
    From the back, nice rear fenders up over the rear wheels. A back plate that on a real truck would be to stop damage to the truck if it bumped into a trailer. there is a nicley detailed trailer hook up joint, then the weapon that flips out onto his arm. It does take away from the rear of the truck a bit but like i said it can be removed. Moving along there is then the large fuel tanks at the bottom and above that the arms which have set in nicley to become the rear sleeping area of the truck. A couple of hinges make up the lower area of the exhaust stacks with the plastic ends. The cabin area for the drives above the lover foot steps. Now on to the front end, nice big wheel arches; a well snapped together bonnet and engine cover. Lastly the front grill and front bumper which are the feet, with an Autobot symbol where the vehicle make symbol would go.

Over all i am very happy with this figure!

15. WeirdMetamorphosis

WeirdMetamorphosis Well-Known Member

I still can't wait to get this figure. Sucks I have to wait until June 2nd but I think it will be worth it.

16. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's okay....

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Overall just an outstanding toy!

The only big flaw for me with this toy is his bot mode does feel quite big and bulky compared to his Voyager counterpart. His bulk also does make him quite difficult to stand at times, hinders his poseability somewhat. The truck mode on this toy is pure love though, flawless is the word I would use to describe it really, its really were his size plays to his advantage in a major way.

But overall this is a great toy and a real no brainer to recommend. Also would finish be saying as well that both he and the Voyager are worth buying. I just mention this as many seem to just want to pick one or the other but there both amazing toys in there different ways. The Leader more as a jaw dropping display piece and the voyager as a smaller more fun version to play and mess around with.

18. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    I really don't like getting the same character in different sizes (at least not in the same time period), but movie prime may be an exception to that rule. I just love the details on the leader prime, and voyager prime looks much slimmer and more "contained" (although I don't like the huge backpack).

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Trust me in person it does not look huge at all so don't be fooled by some of the pictures.

20. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Somehow the robot is not that huge but the truck is.