TFSource Sell Your Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mysticbiscuit, Apr 30, 2013.

1. mysticbiscuit

mysticbiscuit Well-Known Member

I looked and couldn't find a forum on this, if its in the wrong section I apologize but has anyone ever done TFSource's sell your collection? I was wondering if anyone could tell me how their experience went, because I've been thinking of downsizing my collection.

2. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sold them a bulk of my Bayverse movie collection. I got approximately 65% of retail for loose, complete figures. BBTS offered me about 30% of retail for this lot.

I have since offered them both two more lots, one Classics and one G1 lot, and got ridiculously lowball offers from both companies on both lots, so it's apparently hit-and-miss.

3. YipNipples

YipNipples Is it cold in here?

I'm dredging this thread up from the depths because I'm thinking of doing this.

Does anyone have recent experience with selling their collection to TFSOURCE?

4. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Wow! I'd suspect that getting 65% of retail was an outlier. Possibly a point where their inventory was unusually low or something...I'd strongly expect 30% of retail and I also feel strongly that unless I was in absolute dire straights, I'd never take that deal.

All I can suggest is to get multiple quotes. TF Source, BBTS, Transformerland, etc?

Heck, I'll give you 30% of retail for everything! :D 
    Would you like to sell me a minty/complete G1 Jetfire for $50?

5. YipNipples

YipNipples Is it cold in here?

What attracted me to TFSOURCE was that I could sell it all at once. If I don't get an offer from them or BBTS, etc then I guess I'll consider selling it piecemeal, which I really don't want to do.

Sorry, no G1 Jetfire!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    I hear you on this.
    While at least 25% of my collection will be with me so long as it's possible to hold onto material possessions, the rest I would consider selling...and boy is it tempting to just dump it off all at once!

That said, once I start selling them off individually (which is a total pain in the quarter panel), I realize that I don't want to get rid many of them after all. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, hate to bump an old thread (I can start a new one).

Looking to sell a ton of my collection quickly. I've read BBTS doesn't buy any longer? I've sold to them like 5yrs ago.

Any other places that buy collections?

Thx

8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'd almost recommend purchasing a table at a local comic/toy convention and tagging everything 35% of eBay's value before just dumping it off at a company for 30% or less retail. You'll end up with more money in your pocket and you can dump the leftovers at 30% afterward.

9. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, I read your suggestion in another similar thread.

My main issue is time which I don't have with a 3yr old and twin 8th olds. I'd be willing to take a 50% hit at this point. A day or two at a convention is unfortunately time I don't have.

10. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Sell it as a lot on ebay. Start the bid off low and pray to the ferengi gods you'll get a decent profit

• Like Like x 2
  11. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not familiar with any places that buy collections. But, I'll 2nd the ebay recommendation. Like most things, you'll get the most money by selling directly to the end-user as opposed to someone looking to flip it for a profit. I don't know how many figures you have to sell, but I would at least suggest splitting them up into multiple lots based on series. The bonus is that you can do most of the work at home while watching the kids!

• Like Like x 1
  12. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  13. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    TFsource doesn't actually buy collections. They've left the link up but the form is non-functional. Mail just bounces back from a bad address. Then they tell you "LOL, no, try again in DATE_PLUS_SIX_MONTHS!"

An alternative might be the local flea market toy dealers. It's the beginning of that season so maybe they're willing to pick up some collections. But that carries the same warnings about pennies on the dollar.

eBay's going to limit you to 50 listings per month. Don't pay listing fees to put more up because the TOS doesn't guarantee that your listings will turn up in search results. They're also transitioning to a more Amazon-esque catalog approach that favors larger retailers and the Chinese. If you have time to kill, try eCrater or Bonanza (no limits/relisting), but don't expect more than a trickle out of them.

I don't recommend the toy show approach unless you are both A) not looking to get much and B) willing to go home with a picked over collection after not getting much. It's really a buyer's market right now so I'd wait it out unless you really need to dump the stuff soon.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  14. SuperGiantThing

SuperGiantThing Artist When I Feel Like It

News Credits:
    EBay is hit or miss when using auctions, so if you try an auction use a reserve so that way you get at least what you're comfortable with. They also take 10% and PayPal takes like 3% and shipping fees... so, selling in lots is better unless you have rare figures that fetch a bit on their own.

example of hit or miss is an auction I had up recently. i had mp prime and mp bumble complete as a lot and only got 160 shipped. I would of thought it would of gone 200 at least due to previous auctions on their sold search.

try the boards here too! good luck!

15. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about transformerland? Anyone sold anything to them or traded with them

16. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    What about the junkion exchange (on these very boards)? Was that already covered?

I bet a lot of folks here would be happy to take stuff off of your hands.

What eras of TF stuff are you looking to unload?

17. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I thought about the boards here. Was thinking of time/quickness first.

I'm looking to get rid of my MISB CHUG and loose Alternators/Binaltech.

When I collect, I buy 2 of each. One to open, etc and 1 to keep MISB. A weird collecting habit I have

18. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Not at all.

I used to buy 3, one for displaye, one for collection and one for selling.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Transformersland is great. I've sold to them a couple of times.