TFs: Prime Shorts

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Black Oracle, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Wondered what Optimus was thinking whilst out on his lonely evening drive in the Prime episode "Con Job"? Here's my take on those unshown scenes.

Note that italics indicate memories.

The Drive​

Lunar light bathed the red and blue eighteen-wheeler truck as it sped along the quiet Nevada desert roads. Its headlights pierced the darkness like swords of light cutting through shadows, illuminating the path ahead of it.

All was still and silent, save for the sound of his own running engines. Optimus Prime was alone with the night.

He had left base in search of solitude, leaving his Autobots and their young human friends to enjoy the welcoming party they were throwing for the newcomer, 'Wheeljack', an old friend of Bulkhead's. Optimus had little doubt they would quickly make him feel at home. It was good for his soldiers to have some fun. Relaxation was rare these days whilst they were constantly on the alert for Decepticons. But Optimus was not one for parties, and he had not wished to spoil the mood of merriment amongst his Autobots and human friends, so he had departed for a night-time drive on his own.

Now as he drove deeper into the darkness, Optimus Prime's thoughts also travelled to darker places, to darker moments in his memories.

The voice of one he once called 'brother' resonated through his mind.

"Ah, misdirection, Optimus! You would've made a fine Decepticon!"

Megatron's last words to him before he fell with the explosion of the Space Bridge.

"I chose my side!"

His own last words to Megatron before leaving him to his fate.

"Optimus, why so glum? This planet, all planets, are finally free from Megatron's tyranny."

Ratchet's words to him after the loss of Megatron.

"I do not disagree, Ratchet. It's just...a small part of me hoped to change Megatron's mind, not extinguish his spark."

Optimus felt the same pang of remorse and regret in his spark again.

He had long ago made the war-bringing choice to stand against his one-time brother, and their rivalry and war had spanned millennia, plunging their home-world of Cybertron into ruin and scattering their race to the stars. Yet despite the countless stellar cycles of fierce battle and spilt energon, Optimus Prime had never completely abandoned hope of changing his once brother's darkened spark.

But now that Megatron was...gone, dead... , his hope of reaching through to his former brother had perished along with him. Optimus Prime felt...unhappy with this. Still he mourned the loss of his one-time brother, however misguided he had been in life.

Optimus had driven off the main roads now onto steep, rocky terrain. He slowed down as he reached a cliff overlooking the moonlit Nevada desert plains. Coming to a halt, he transformed from his vehicle mode and rose to stand tall in robot mode. Approaching the edge of the cliff, he gazed out over the peaceful Nevada desert landscape. It glowed silver under the gentle lunar light, a calming sight for the Autobot leader.

Looking skyward to the pale white face of the full moon and the twinkling stars, where Megatron had met his end amongst the stars in Space, Optimus said a silent prayer for his lost brother. He hoped that he had found some measure of peace in becoming one with the Allspark.

There was little comfort from the bright silver glare of the moon for the sombre Prime though. Her gaze upon him was cold. And the blinking stars were her unsympathetic accomplices.

The night air stirred. A chilling wind blew over Optimus Prime's regal metallic body. But he was unable to shiver. He could only stand frozen under the icy silver light of the moon, casting a long, dark shadow behind him.

2. AndreaPrime101

AndreaPrime101 AP101

Touching to any Optimus Prime if they read this. You're an awesome writer! :) 

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A very nice update B_O..:thumb  I'm glad you decided to write about his "Drive" as I had pointed out in the TFPrime thread..Optimus wasn't just joyriding when he left the base that day. :) 

I believe that "shiver" that Optimus felt was a premonition that his "brother" will return. When? Only time will tell. :popcorn 

4. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    I've probably said this over a dozen times in my lifetime, but I love it! These oneshots give me chills down my spine as I read them and I don't even know why though.

All things considered... do more please!

5. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    Thanks, ladies!

Actually, he didn't shiver. But I evoked the image in your head with my simple use of the word! :D 

When I get inspiration!

And you're getting chills? Perhaps you're cold, my friend. Snuggle up in a blankie! :D 

6. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    And here's my second short Prime fic set after the end of the episode "Scrapheap". Just a little closing epilogue scene I envisioned for Optimus and Arcee after returning from their near-fatal Arctic trip.

Note that 'mega-cycles' is equivalent to 'hours'.

After The Cold

It had been approximately four hours since Arcee and Optimus arrived back from their near-fatal Arctic mission. Jack, Miko and Raf had returned to their homes. Ratchet, Bulkhead and Bumblebee were recuperating in other quarters of the base from their injuries inflicted by the Scraplet infestation.

Arcee lay resting on a table in sick bay in the command hall on her own. She opened her eyes when she heard the approaching sound of heavy but deliberately soft footsteps and saw Optimus Prime walking towards her.

"I apologise, Arcee. I did not mean to wake you," he said softly.

"You didn't. I wasn't really recharging. Just resting," she assured.

Optimus knelt down beside her table.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Lousy," she sighed. "The frost did a real number on me. Gonna be a few more mega-cycles before I'm functioning properly again. And you?"

"My systems are nearing full recovery," Optimus replied. "I just needed a thorough defrosting."

"Hnh," Arcee smirked. "Always the stronger one."

"You possess tremendous strength of your own, Arcee," Optimus emphasised.

She smiled appreciatively at this.

"Well, strong as we may be, hopefully we won't have to go back to the Arctic again anytime soon. Think I've had enough cold to last me a lifetime," she said humorously.

"I cannot say I am eager to return there either for the time being," Optimus agreed in similar humour.

One corner of Optimus' lips crept up as he said this. Arcee smiled mischievously.

"Why Optimus, is that a smile?"

Before one could have registered it properly, his subtle smile faded and his face fell into a calm, neutral expression again.

"Perhaps it was," he replied good-naturedly.

Arcee's smile did not fade however.

"You should smile more often. It's nice when you do."

Her face then became serious.

"Y'know...we almost went offline permanently out there."

Her optics glanced down briefly as she recalled their near-death experience in the Arctic. Optimus leaned down closer to her.

"But we did not. We survived," he affirmed, "thanks to our comrades."

In a familiar gesture, Arcee reached out and placed her hand on top of Optimus's.

"Thank you, Optimus. For being there with me," she said sincerely.

Once more, Optimus turned his giant hand over and enclosed her tiny one within his dwarfing palm.

"The situation was not one of choice," Optimus answered honestly.

"Nevertheless, there isn't another bot alive I would rather go offline alongside than you, Optimus." She said it with conviction.

Optimus paused a moment before replying. He tightened his grip of her small hand ever so slightly.

"The sentiment is appreciated, soldier," he reverberated earnestly. "I would have been proud and honoured to meet the end with you as well."

Optimus then released her hand and stood up.

"Rest well, Arcee."

She nodded.

"And you, Optimus."

Optimus dipped his head genteelly to her then turned to leave. Arcee watched him make his exit out of the command hall. When he had left the room, Arcee turned over onto her side and shut her eyes. As she fell into peaceful recharge, her hand that Optimus had held curled into her chest, next to her spark chamber.

7. AndreaPrime101

AndreaPrime101 AP101

D'awwwwww! Sweet dreams, Arcee, sweet dreams. :D ream:

8. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    :D  That's why the rabbit ears around the word "shiver", we both know Optimus can't actually shiver, but we like to equate the human equivalent to help us feel the emotions within your stories, which are very descriptive, good job my friend!! :thumb 

As for "After the Cold" a very nice epilogue..but I think Optimus still thinks of Arcee and a soldier and subordinate and I don't think Arcee should "feel" more. Just me, I know..but I'm not for the mushy stuff and TF's, but wonderfully written, as you always do!! :popcorn 

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  9. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Shhh, better keep it down or the fangirls will rage. XD

B_O: Yeah, chills. And I got more again as I read through this one. For now, we see these two as either father and daughter or comrades in arms. But... my mind screams otherwise.

10. moreprimeland

News Credits:

SP---shhhhh, Did you have to bold me??? I know I'm in the minority when it comes to the mushy stuffs, but that's just my thing. We have enough rage on the boards, hopefully everyone will understand. :lol 

11. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    A new Prime short! Set during the episode "Speed Metal". Didn't anyone else want to see how Arcee, Bumblebee and Bulkhead got chewed out by Optimus after the drama of Jack's racing activities?

Explanations​

"Right after I learnt that Jack had gone out racing with Bumblebee, Bumblebee contacted base. He was being pursued by Knock Out."

Arcee held herself rigidly as she gave Optimus the full account of what had happened prior to his arrival during her pursuit of the Decepticon Knock Out. She, Bumblebee and Bulkhead were standing in line before their commander back at base.

"Bulkhead and I went out to assist him. When we got there, Jack and Bumblebee were safe, but Jack informed us that his school rival had been captured by Knock Out. We went after him and chased him to an empty car park. Breakdown arrived on scene and engaged Bulkhead and Bumblebee. I attempted to force Knock Out to give up his hostage. But he escaped onto the highway. I pursued him. Then you arrived just on time to intercept him."

Arcee fell silent for an awkward breath of a moment.

"And...that's the end of my report," she finished uncomfortably.

Optimus said nothing for a long moment. He simply looked sternly at her and at Bulkhead and Bumblebee on either side of her. He had already sent the kids back to their homes as it was late in the evening, but not before Jack had apologised several times and explained again to Optimus that 'this had all been his fault'. Everyone had confessed to Optimus their parts in the events that had spiralled out of control. It was something none of them had been looking forward to doing.

Now as the great Autobot leader stared hard down at his troops, Arcee, Bumblebee and Bulkhead felt like wilting from shame and failure. Bulkhead shifted his broad foot uncomfortably. Bumblebee's gaze dropped to the floor. Arcee wanted to move her eyes elsewhere too, anywhere but at Optimus' face, but the disciplined soldier in her forced her to keep her sight firmly locked on her leader's expression. Real soldiers didn't look away. They faced up to their responsibilities and mistakes.

Finally, Optimus spoke.

"You are all aware of the care and caution we must exercise when involving ourselves directly in human affairs. Every time we do, we risk drawing unwanted attention to ourselves and inviting the wrath of the Decepticons on innocents. Arcee, Bumblebee, getting yourselves involved in racing was unwise and dangerous, not only for yourselves but for Jack as well. You both demonstrated poor judgement there. You used your greater powers and abilities for competitive personal gain against other vehicles of this world."

Arcee and Bumblebee's heads bowed in shame.

Optimus' gaze fell upon Arcee.

"Your reasons for racing are understandable. I know you are individuals with feelings. You can be angered by insults..."

His gaze moved to Bumblebee.

"...and sometimes you wish to help our human friends when they ask for it..."

His gaze swept over all three Autobots again.

"...but this is not Cybertron and we cannot simply act as we please without consideration of what consequences our actions might bring. We cannot afford lapses in judgement like this again."

Optimus seemed to sigh inaudibly.

"We were fortunate this time that no harm was done and we were not seen, but we cannot always expect to be so lucky."

He paused, regarding his troops calmly.

"As I have told the human children already, in future, it is imperative that we do not keep secrets from one another, especially in regards to our activities and whereabouts. It should go without saying, but I expect you all to inform me sooner of questionable and potentially dangerous matters from now on."

"Yes, Optimus," Arcee and Bulkhead acknowledged. Bumblebee made a low sound of acknowledgement as well.

"Dismissed."

The three Autobot soldiers turned sombrely and began to head out of the command room.

"Arcee," Optimus said quietly.

The small blue female Autobot stopped and turned round. Optimus approached her.

"Jack is a young human, still growing, learning and going through many experiences in his life. Perhaps a little compassion for his social challenges might not be a bad thing. This whole affair began when he was faced with pressures from school and he sought your assistance to save face before a challenger and to please a female peer he is attracted to."

Optimus' expression seemed to soften.

"Though it was unwise to become involved in a race, it would not have harmed either of you to have granted the request of Jack's female friend and allowed her a ride with Jack. He would have appreciated it. You are Jack's guardian, Arcee. And he needs your understanding and support sometimes."

Arcee's gaze fell and she nodded.

"I...will try to be more sympathetic to Jack's needs and problems in future," she agreed.

Optimus bent forward and placed two of his large fingers upon Arcee's petite shoulder. She looked up at him.

"I know you will, Arcee."

Then Optimus stood up and took his leave.

After watching him go, Arcee stood alone for a moment in thought. Then she transformed and drove out of base.

There were a few more hours to kill before she would have to take Jack to school in the morning.

End.​

12. AndreaPrime101

AndreaPrime101 AP101

Wow.

13. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Very nice and very Prime :thumb  I like the conversation and the outcome. Well done B_O! :D 

14. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Wow. I like these. Can I talk to you about a few Transformers: Prime story ideas I have?

15. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Don't mean to step on any toes...but why not write your own Fan Fiction? It's open to any and all members!!

Black Oracle may be interested in your ideas but I believe she has plenty of her own and several series that she is currently updating.

If you are interested in writing your own FF then check out our TFW writers social group..Just go to Social Groups and you'll see it listed along with many others. Good luck. :thumb 

16. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Thanks dude. Where can I find the group? I actually come up with ideas by accident sometimes.

17. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

This fanfic is officialy canon for me.

18. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    Thanks for helping out Heroic, mpl.

Overlord, thank you for the compliment!

19. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Can we potentially get one where Bulkhead arrives and Arcee, Cliffjumper and Bumblebee greet him?

Edit- also, if this was on FF.net, it'd be on TVTropes' fanfic recs page for transformers.

20. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

Love this! You're a strong writer with a keen eye for dialogue! One of my favorite aspects of this is how you were able to hit the nail on the proverbial head with Optimus' tone! Most will write him either too didactic or too colloquial, you've found the happy medium! He doesn't sound too preachy nor does he sound immature; I could actually hear Cullen's voice reading these lines:thumbs2: 

Looking forward to more! :popcorn