TF's on Earth or Cybertron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Numlock, Feb 6, 2009.

?

More interest in Transformers on Cyberton or Earth?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2009.
  1. The Cybertronian Civil War in Space is more interesting

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Robots in Disguise on Earth concept is more interesting

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Hey TFW2005,
    I've been having a thought and just wanted to get a general consensus from you all... bring me some peace of mind I guess...

Are you more interested in TF series that take place on Cybertron (like War Within and Stormbringer) and focus on the "Civil War" type concept, or on Earth (like IDW-ations, new Movie, early G1) and focus on the "Robots in Disguise" concept.

Yes, I've searched and read a few posts about what people would like to create if they made their own, and yes, I realize that many series have/try both concepts. There's a lot to be said I know... but my general feeling (reason for this post) is a thought that it's when a Transformers series try to tackle both fronts they run into "problems" of sorts... with continuity and focus, characters, etc.

So the question is, "if one or the other... what would you be more interested in"

Thanks!

2. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Both

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If we could only chose one I'd have to say Earth. The humans give the Autobots a real reason to step up to the plate to be heroes and it means the Decepticons can be even more of a threat because it's not just the fate of the Autobots on the line.

Plus it just seems cooler to watch them transform into things we can see in every day life rather than something that is just made up.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I grew up on G1, so I tend to favor the stories where the TFs are on Earth. I've always felt that the trips to Cybertron were a special occasion and I prefer to keep it that way.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Robots In Disguise, on Earth. That's what it should be all about in my opinion. Alien robots hidden among us and indistinguishable from normal vehicles. It was the original premise, but somehow they never used it's full potential in any cartoon or comic.

I think Cybertron should only be used very rarely. Keep it some kind of mystery, something unreachable.

I just can't ever get into the comics because it's all too hardcore at times: way too much Cybertron devalues the importance of it, and degrade the mystery of Transformers... as soon as they start focusing on Cybertron's senate council or whatever, I generally stop caring at all.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

As much as I would love to see more of the Transformers in the midst of their civil war on Cybertron, I prefer their being on Earth and transforming into ordinary vehicles, electronics, etc.

7. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I prefer the more expanded universe of transformers. The robots in disguise on Earth feel is kinda limited IMO.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Both but R.I.D. works better on Earth than in space. :D 

9. AMG

AMG Old School

I like both actually, but annoying kids can ruin it on earth sometimes.

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I've always preferred the goings-on at Cybertron to be a sub-plot, not the main story.

I also tend to prefer solo adventure stories like the "Spotlight" comics (I loved Marvel's GI Joe "Special Missions" series and wanted so badly for them to do one for TFs). And I also love the team-type action-adventures like the UK Wreckers stories.

In other words, to answer your question: neither and both because I do find both of them interesting, but I prefer the stuff I mentioned above.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Absolutely the "secret war on Earth" scenario. Without humanity to define itself in contrast to, I find that Transformers totally loses it's appeal.

Really, the "space opera" theme of G1 Season 3 is what killed my interest in the franchise (though poor writing and animation didn't help). I didn't care about the far-flung future... if robots are going to turn into cars and trucks, they'd damn well better turn into cars and trucks that look like the ones I see every day.

zmog

12. Lakanl

Lakanl Footmaster

As much as I really prefer them being on Earth as R.I.D, I really like to learn about the history of these kind of things so as to better understand the struggles in the present. This is probably the only thing that kept me watching Season 3 of the G1 era. I would have finished the show without that knowledge, but I feel like I know the situation better now that I have learned about the Quintessons and there robot slaves. And the Cybertronian civil-war era.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    both.....

14. Spoon

Spoon Banned

*Points to ...ation series*

As for me?
    I prefer the sprawling 'Space Opera' type situation as seen in early IDW, as oppose to being limited to two planets. Also, I find TFs that transform into alien vehicles far more interesting than Earth vehicles.

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Both of course....BUT -

I voted for Cybertron.

Cybertron - I like getting into the aspects culture of a planet full of sentient robots. And Transformers is the only show/comic that can give us Cybertron.

Earth I can see in any sc-fi franchise. Heck I can look out my window right now and see Earth. I know what Earth looks like thank you very much.

But Cybertron is a imaginary world full of imagination that I want to explore in detail and that can only be done in stories about the TFs.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Earth. I like the sense of scale portrayed on our planet. On Cybertron everything is their size, there's no need to blend, it's all very straightforward and boring after a while. It's more interesting to see them walk on our tiny roads, hide in parkign lots as vehicles and whatnot, and it makes it double fun when they trsh a city block in a brawl.

The movie verse changes this slightly, I'd love to see more of the TF movie's wicked Cybertron, but I still like the Earth stuff.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Both. But only if any Earth adventures are told mainly from the perspective of the Transformers, and not always from that of the humans.

18. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Earth. You can explore their culture and government and stuff on Earth. They would bring those ideas with them after all.

All a Cybertron setting accomplishes is to remove all sense of their scale and power from the story. On Cybertron, Megatron could be six feet tall and you wouldn't know any different, cause there's nothing familiar to compare him to.

19. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I would choose both, with the tf's on earth and having a link to cybertron via spacebridge, it gave a resource for new plot lines and charater introductions. Not to mention other worlds. If I had to pick one it would be on earth.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's when you bring humans along for the trip. :)