TFs on Amazon... WTF prices?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lobsterclaw, Feb 25, 2009.

1. lobsterclaw

lobsterclaw Well-Known Member

Amazon is really going crazy marking up TF toys. I was browsing for Sideswipe and Sunstreaker Classics Universe, and the markup was nearly 100%. Normally for many items Amazon has one of the cheapest if not the cheapest prices...

2. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

That's because it was for sale by another seller/store on amazon not by amazon. Amazon prices for the stuff they actually have are still fairly cheap

3. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    And that's precisely what I hate about the 'sellers' feature on Amazon. Amazon really should separate their store items from seller items more clearly, maybe even have an entirely different site for the sellers. I personally have no problem figuring out what is sold by Amazon and what is sold by Joe Seller, but I'm constantly fielding confusion from my parents, family, friends, even my wife who for some reason can't always tell that Amazon didn't sell them Product X, but Joe Seller did. Even though it's clear to me, it's quite obviously a point of confusion for a lot of people.

4. lobsterclaw

lobsterclaw Well-Known Member

I thought the ones that qualify for free shipping (above $25) are sold by Amazon. No? I meant the ones that qualify for free shipping. They are usually $16, $17 dollars.

I see that some of the ones sold by third party sellers are actually cheaper. It's just that with shipping, the price comes out to about the same.

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

Usually they are way overpriced on Amazon. Late last year there was a sale and I was able to get a MP 05 for $85 (normally $170). You just have to wait for the (very) infrequent sale, and you might get a good deal.

6. chaoseffect

chaoseffect Custom TF builder

If Amazon was truthful, the would call themselves www.bendoverandgrabyouranklesreallytight.com

Honestly, the best luck I ever had buying Transformers was on this website. Lots of the fans here don't charge and arm and a leg and your first born child. Some of them just want their toys to go to a good home.

7. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    When you search on Amazon for Transformers, you can check on the left side and specify that you only want those that are sold directly by Amazon. It makes it much easier to find the regularly priced things and avoid the third-party sellers. (Sometimes third-party sellers AND Amazon will sell the same thing and be listed, but at least you get the figures sold directly and eligible for free shipping over $25.)

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    People that sell through Amazon are ridiculous. One time there was this TF I saw on there for about $125.99.

Then I go to the store. What do they have? Same thing, only $105.99 cheaper.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I was just about to type this when I saw you'd got there already. It's a very simple step that gets rid of all the overpriced crap.

10. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate that I can't even find the toys I WANT at decent prices online. Amazon and other sites are as bad as what eBay has become known for.

One example is I was collecting the Indiana Jones line, but since Hasbro killed it due to lagging sales (apparently because people didn't 'eat up' the excessive Crystal Skull and Lost Ark lines), they then gave us microscopic increments of Last Crusade and none of the Temple of Doom! I was looking forward to the TOD line, but because of their rarity, those figures are going for $15+.

11. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I have a tangential question and thought I would ask it here rather than starting a new thread.

For any of you who have sold through Amazon's marketplace, how was the experience? For example, how do you get your money, and how much of a cut does Amazon take? Do you or Amazon specify what the shipping cost will be?

12. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    To put it in another way. Amazon has a large variety of products not available in other places. It is much easier to find the right product on Amazon than any other website. For the ability to buy and sell items at the convenience that Amazon.com has, with the exclusive patented one click shipping, it cannot be any easier. To buy items, you just need to sigh up for an account and a credit card. To sell, you need a checking account.
    One side effect is the higher prices. It is free to list items on Amazon, but when an item is sold, they take a 15% commission for toys (which explains some inflated prices). It is also easy to determine who is selling a product when you see the lsiting, as each item has the seller's name or company logo on the top of the listing. Amazon store products are clearly labled with the Amazon.com logo. Some third party vendors also offer free shipping if it states in the item profile. You cannot expect cheap prices so often, as they do occasionally appear but sell out quickly. Some thrid party sellers also sometimes have price drops, so it is important to keep an eye out for bargains if you are willing to wait, just like any other market. If you are a collector willing to pay a high price, then you can get it Amazon any time. If not, just wait.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits: