TFs near Namba, Osaka JP

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tusko, Feb 14, 2011.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Lookin' for a little help.
    I'll be in Namba, Osaka Japan. I don't have a lot of time, but if I could pick up a Japanese TF that would be awesome. However I don't know what to look for. I've hear BIC Camera stores....
    Any advice from the world travelers out there?

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

In Osaka? Honestly I'm not entirely sure. I often go to Yokohama and Tokyo on a regular basis but not to Osaka. That said, if you're going TF shopping in Japan, I recommend Yodobashi Camera, rather than BIC Camera. I don't remember BIC Camera having a toy section. Yodobashi is the one where its at. Also, Japanese Toys R Us's are worth checking out.

Furthermore, I believe that Osaka has their own equivalent of Tokyo's Akihabara. Unfortunately, for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

3. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    ecr former is right, im not familiar with the osaka area its 6 hours from where i live, but in general look at the stores ecr former recommanded. if you have mandarake around there that will be tf heaven.

4. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

Don't bother with Bic camera, they won't have anything you can't get in some form here. You want Nipponbashi, or "Den-den" town, or as I call it, "Mecha Mecca". It's littered with toy stores, the best of which is probably Herogangu (see the second floor for the Transformers goldmine). The area occupies a single street--you'll know you're in the right area when you see the two-story painting of Gundam. Warning: though they have no end of amazing finds, nothing is cheap, and there are no spectacular deals to be found; they know exactly what everything is worth. I don't remember the name of the local train line, but the station is indeed called "Nipponbashi". Good luck.

By the way, I once talked them into letting me shoot some pictures for shmax.com (be aware that stores don't typically allow this, so don't let me get you in trouble):

http://www.shmax.com/photos?r=0&info_filter=4095&sort=date&psub=599&num_results=50

These were just grabbed from the shelves at random (I didn't push my luck and ask for access to the locked cabinets), but you can see price tags on some of these. If you know any Japanese, please tell them that shmax.com sent you.

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Nipponbashi! That's what it was called. The Osaka equivalent of Akihabara that is. Thanks, shmax.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Thank you all!

I may have a couple of hours to go look around. Cheers! I'm just looking for United Jazz and Tracks, but its fun to see vintage stuff when you turn the corner and find a shop like you describe.

7. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Well my trip is over.
    No luck on getting to Den Den.
    I did hit Toys R Us in Namba Parks, but they didn't have what I was hoping for. They had a United WFC Cliffjumper and Bumblebee... so shiny.. but between a lack of time to look around more and no space in my carry on, I return empty handed.
    Thanks for all your help!

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I was in Japan last March 2010, and I'm going back this June.

I enjoyed visiting the Yodobashi Camera store for its sheer size, noise, and product volume, but I was not pleased with their prices...especially on their Takara TF product which had like a 20-30% markup. MP Grimlock was something like $130 US.

I had better luck at the "Hardoff" store -- Japanese equivalent of a pawn/thrift store. Got some amazing deals, and wish I'd brought a whole lot more money with me. Shared some pics of my Japan haul here.

Can't remember the location of the Hardoff store I visited though -- probably the same one this guy visited:

jimmy in japan: Today I Had A Hard Off

But as I understand it, it's like a franchise that has stores all over Japan.

Oh heck, yes! That was one of the highlights of my whole trip to Japan, which was odd to the group I was there with, but then they understood when I explained what huge Transformers fan I am.

But I couldn't afford anything there. It was heartbreaking to pass on some items I'd been wanting for like 20 years, but they were just way too expensive.

Yeah, I got in trouble for taking pics in stores. Our group tour guide told me by way of translation that a store owner was threatening to take my camera if I didn't leave immediately. I quickly learned to turn off the flash so I wouldn't draw attention to myself.