TFs for kids

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by starsaber888, Jun 19, 2010.

1. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

hi guys, not sure where to post this...

need some help here, i plan to buy a TFs figure for my nephew but am having a hard time choosing. he is 4yrs old and he's never had a TFs toy before.

i want to get him a deluxe size figure, do you guys think the movie deluxe and the animated figures will be too complicated for him? he likes cars and buses. i really want him to enjoy his first TFs experience. any suggestions? cheers.

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I would say movie deluxes are a no no. They are very complex for their size with lots of fiddly and easily broken parts.

I would say Animated or something classics-y. If you do want to go down the movie route, then Fast Action Battlers are probably your best bet.

3. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    fast action battlers or activators are probably the easiest I think

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So glad you started this thread. Now I have an excuse to post this picture of my 2-year-old niece playing with my Leader Bulkhead.
    [​IMG]
    She gets a real thrill out of pushing his Autobot symbol, and I am currently on the edge of my seat waiting for her to start saying "Sorry, my bad!" and "Time for the big guns!" and "You can do it buddy!" over and over and over and OVER at her house. *Cackles with evil glee*

I've also introduced her to my Universe Inferno and Cybertron Jetfire (she likes fire trucks and planes) and Armada Red Alert (she's fascinated by his shooting disc). Then I transformed Inferno and Bulkhead to robot mode. BLEW. HER. MIND. Gettin' her started early...

Oh, but you wanted to talk about you. Uhh... well... I have no experience with 4-year-olds. Or boys. 2-year-old girls I can help you with. Speaking generally, bigger, bulkier toys are harder to break and as I mentioned electronics are often a big hit. As for Deluxes, they're so much more intricate than they have been in the past. If your nephew is gentle with his toys, I might chance one of the easier ROTF or Universe Deluxes. If not, Animated might be the way to go. And then of course there's always Fast Action Battlers.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Go to eBay and get them an Armada figure. My 3 year old loves his.

6. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Animated Activators/ Movie FABs
    2. Armada Figures
    3. Anything bulky enough to survive

Really, just go get easily transformable figures, heck PPCs fit the description, that won't explode to pieces when dropped a few times and those should be perfect. I wouldn't go with the movie line unless you go FABs. Too complicated for younger kids.

7. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    why does no one mention gravity bots? my 3 years-old nephew love it to no end!

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recommend ROTF Legends. They are cheap and lots of fun. Some of the best which would be fine for a 4 year old are:

-Prime
    -Bumblebee
    -Soundwave
    -Sideswipe

9. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    My suggestions will be Activators and..what's the name of those you hit and pop out? .Hm..Bumper Battlers ^^

10. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    technically you don't need to transform them .they transform for themselves :p 

11. rainningstorm

rainningstorm cheapskate@Cantonment

I would suggest go for animated since they're targeted towards a younger audience.

Gravity bots are also good and there are some could even be sold on clearance right now.

Just don't get the RPMs, I know they're targeted for very young kids but something about their size and lack of playability just don't do it for me.

I would also suggest activators or even those brick things of the supreme devastator if you really got money. Get something simple, big and colourful.

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I'd go for animated activators.

That little bumblebee would have given me a lot of joy as a child, in fact it still amuses me as an adult.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, I would probably go with a FAB or Activator. Gravity Bots and Bumper Battlers/Big RPMs are a little weak even for kids. I would probably steer clear of a deluxe unless you want the parents transforming it every 20 seconds for them and figuring out where all the parts go that inevitably get yanked off. I know my friend's kids have a bunch of transformers missing legs (same age), and of the ones that do have all their parts, as soon as the parent gets it into one mode, the kid wants it transformed again.

I did recently buy my friend's 2-year old the RPM track, and the other kids (ages 3-6) loved it as well. It was the hit of the party, and the 2-year old who I bought it for plays the hell out of it (annoys his parents cause he needs the voice thing turned on at all times). It may not be an actual transformer, but I know he really digs it.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What about a TFTM/Rotf Bumblebee...I mean every kid's gotta have one.

As many said Activators, Gravity Bots, FAB, and why not cybertron scouts, I mean you see them at big lots for like $5 a pop and their simple and fun.....(except Backstop)

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    FAB all the way. All the size of a deluxe, but more sturdy for the little ones.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol @ tftm/rotf bumblebee i wouldn't give that to a 4 year old at all

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    FABsfor sure. Simplified kid-fiendly Deluxes.

18. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I second the RPM track set if you can find it cheap. Just "forget" to mention the batteries. My 2 year old and her 4 year old cousin love them.

Animated leader figures work well too.

19. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Like others have suggested, I'd go with Armada (fewer moving/easily broken parts) figures or Fast Action Battlers, Animated is a bit of a no no, as some of them have poorly jointed limbs that are prone to dropping off (Lockdown's legs for example, are all too easy to pop off his body). The Legends figures, much as i don't like them, will be okay for younger fans too.

20. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Get them some KOs. That way, if they break, you aren't out much money.