Minor/Repaint: TFP Prowl... cuz we need more brains in there...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Taiki, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

... and heavens know that the TFP cast needs a tactician... Aside from Ratch and Prime, everyone else in TFP is kinda a brawler...
    the idea for this struck me while I was staring at Hot Shot, and I realized that RID BB/HS mold seemed suitable for the door wing gang... and I always did like Prowl the best of the Nissans...
    head is TFP Hot Shot's. Visor was removed and the pegs for it cut off. I had a spare FEBB head lying around from my previous Jazz attempt, so I removed its forehead to fashion the head crest and chevrons. looks a little rough, but it kinda works?...
    Straight up repaint after that, with the addition of a lightbar to the roof of the car scavenged from Recon Barricade.
    I kinda like him without shoulder cannons, to be honest, so I'm not putting them in. For those of you who do want them, however, you can kinda clip Generations Tracks' shoulder missiles onto his windscreen, and they kinda work?... would be better if they were on ball joints, but with a bit of creative positioning, it can be done without too much difficulty...

Attached Files:

2. imoff2186

imoff2186 Well-Known Member

Nice!

3. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    Sweet. Really like the head as Prowl.

4. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I really like it. I always post these threads hoping for constructive criticism so please understand I'm trying to help: I think you could use a little extra experimentation/practice with the paints. It's a little "gunky" to the point where it obscured how good your sculpting work was on the head. It reminds me of when I used to use enamel paints. Is that enamel or acrylic?

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Man I almost actually want this mold to copy this.

6. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Thanx guys. XD

no worries man. I'm well aware my work is faaaaar from pro, ahahahaa~
    used a mixture of markers and acrylics. I'm actually more of a marker/spray person?... I've been rather unsuccessful with acrylics so far... it's either so thin it only works as a wash, or it doesn't obscure the underlying color [ESPECIALLY when using white...] or so thick it gunks up anyway, so... still trying to figure out the right mix...
    ... and the white markers I can find that work are paint markers, so enamel based... hence... /shudder
    will keep working at it. happy that the concept works for now at least...
    Thanx for the feedback though. ;) 

ahahahahahaha~ dude, given how this mold tends to be a bit of a shelfwarmer, it shouldn't be too long before it goes on clearance... then you can have a field day with it. XD

7. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

Nice job man love the concept! I had planned to do the three 300zx guys outta this mold

8. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Now I need to buy like 5 BBs for customs.... Great Job!

9. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Heh, wanna see those. XD
    We'll see if that idea of mine for the shoulder missiles works out...

pray they're on clearance? lolz
    mix in some hot shots in there?... he has a mouth you can use, at least... BB needs some sculpting work for a mouth... XD

10. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Everyone has to find what works best for them of course but I really, really recommend getting into spray primer. All my customs looked like dogshit to me (I'm more critical of myself than I am of others, and I'm way way oversensitive to brushstrokes and "gunkiness") until I started putting down a layer of white spray primer, then a couple layers of acrylic, then a layer of dullcote. My two cents. :) 

11. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

The head looks great. Iit screams Prowl.

12. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

I was using a 1200 spray primer actually... /facepalm... then again, mainly on the body... after which I went over with about 2 coats of matt white, and 2 coats of clear sealant after I did the detailing...
    for the head I just went straight to paints without doing any priming... one undercoat of black, then white over... but... yeah... mebbe too thick. /sighz...
    I'll work it out eventually...
    do you have any idea how to strip off multiple coats of acrylic in case of an accident?... I generally just scrape the stuff off carefully with a knife, but it does mar the plastic beneath it... solvents just sorta turn everything into a big mess, and have, on two occasions, made the plastic so brittle they kinda crumbled... >_____<

heh, thanx man. XD

13. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with rubbing alcohol, and only scraping with a plastic knife. They make plastic "razor blades" that work really well.

14. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks great! :thumb 

15. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Plastic knives huh?... I'll see if I can find some in my local hobby shop...
    Thanx. :) 

Thanx man. XD

Pictures in main thread updated!
    I might add Japanese police wording to the doors...

16. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

scavenged an extra pair of Tracks' shoulder cannons and painted them up.
    Seem to work... and without too much difficulty either...

Attached Files: