Minor/Repaint: TFP:PRID Megatron (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by CTCustomz, Apr 11, 2012.

1. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    TFP:p RID Megatron (WIP) *99.9% Complete*

A while back, me and friends wanted to start customizing transformers. We looked for many types of transformers to start with and the one that we found that would be easy to start out with is the Transformers Prime Powerizer RID Voyager Megatron. We want to try and make it as "show-accurate", in terms of colors, as possible and add LEDs to make him look like he has come out of the screen.

We have installed an LED into his cannon and we have no clue what we are doing. We used a LEGO brick to house the batteries and drilled a hole through the cannon for the switch. We also made his blade into a solid piece (I am going to fill in the cracks with Epoxy when I get some) and it is now removable. I used styrene to cover the batteries and LED, also I added longer spikes to the top point and spikes that give the illusion of the cannon being connect to the forearm like it is in the show. We made the back kibble removeable for more accuracy in robot mode by knocking out the pins and glueing them back in their slots so the panels can slide on and off for transformation. My friend had an idea about the sword to make it look 10 times better and it worked. I am almost done with the back pieces for alt. mode (That is way they may seem a different color than everything else) and I added a little Decepticon Symbol to the torso for accuracy in alt. mode. I have also added the Decepticon Symbol to his chest for Robot mode but I havn't taken pics of it yet.

I painted him using Testors Acrylic & Enamel paints and cleared him with Krylon Acrylic Clear Gloss. The silver is a mix between Bright Silver & Grime Enamels, the grey is a mix between Flat Grey & Bright Silver Enamels, and the purple is Deep Pearlescent Purple Acrylic. All paint was applied via airbrush. His cannon was built from the original along with styrene and a purple LED was placed inside so the cannon will light-up for more accuracy. His blade was made from the original along with the battle claw, putty, and a post from RID Prime's sword.

Finished:
    ~Figure
    ~Cannon
    ~Sword

To Do (So far):
    ~Nothing!!!

Below are pics of the WIP and the finished figure (Don't hate too much, we are new to this):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We planned on keeping him but we really need the money right now. We wondered if some of you guys would be interest in buying this, if so then we will be putting it on ebay sometime this month as he isn't completely finished.

Any and all feedback or comments will be much appreciated!!!

Attached Files:

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Nice, but just remember to resize your pics, 4000x3000 is way too big.

3. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Thanks! Hmm....the forum should automatically resize them if you wait a little bit.

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I know, but it gets harder to actually read posts.

5. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Practice makes perfect, cool!

6. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Ok, I just fixed them.

Thanks!

7. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Today we drilled a hole through the translucent purple bit in his head just enough to where it is perfect for a 3mm LED to fit. Right not we are trying to decide which color LED to use in his head. What do you guys think? Purple or Red???

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I'd say it depends on wether you're adding Dark Energon LEDs or not. If so, blue would be more appropriate. If not, red would be more screen accurate.

9. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Ok, the purple looked good to us but it would be to much work putting LEDs throughout his whole body like most people have done. I guess we will do red then but the only thing that bugged us was that the red doesn't look like the red in the show, it looks more like a laserlight red.

10. skylinezan

skylinezan Well-Known Member

CTCustomz,

for a first time job, I have to say I'm really impressed. I salute you guys!

my two cents: for the eyes, red looks too bright (and too creepy) but is screen accurate. however, the purple is much better suited here.

11. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Thanks! We are currently looking for a better red LED to use but if we can't find one then we decided to go with the purple because it is show accurate to an extent. The only time Megatron have purple eyes only is when he meets Optimus and Ratchet in the "Ancient War Zone" in a Darkness Rising episode. (A pic of what I mean is posted below) Also we are going to try and find the thinnest paintbrush ever to paint the white "pupils" or whatever they are called that are in his eyes to make it look more realistic and accurate. Just wish we could make the Decepticon symbol glow too, that would be awesome!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Pretty sweet! I love that you guys are doing LED work, I haven't tried any yet.

13. fallenkia

fallenkia Well-Known Member

as for the eye, you can put both purple and red LED together.
    [​IMG]

14. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Thanks, it's way easier than we thought!

Dang, that one looks epic! I don't think I want to do that, but I'm curious to know how that was done.

15. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    I got a couple of things done today. I made his sword gimmick into a solid piece and I also made it removable. There is a gap in the middle that I am going to fill in with Epoxy when I get some. Also the styrene I ordered came in today and I started learning how to use it by making the pointy ends the come off the back of his cannon and so far I only have the bottom one done.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    It's been awhile because I've been busy with my racing but I've almost finished the cannon. I used styrene to cover the batteries and LED, also I added longer spikes to the top point and spikes that give the illusion of the cannon being connect to the forearm like it is in the show. I've finish the LED the goes in his head and should have it installed tomorrow. The paint I ordered came in and the airbrush will come next week so I can start painting!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    We finished a few more things. We made the back kibble removeable for more accuracy in robot mode by knocking out the pins and glueing them back in their slots so the panels can slide on and off for transformation. Also my friend had an idea about the sword to make it look 10 times better and it worked. It is hard to explain how this was done but the piece that were used were Meg's sword, battle claw, and Prime's sword peg. Amazingly it fits perfectly when attached to the arm along with the cannon for better poses and display. My friend also broke the LED circuit for his head and now I have to solder some new wires to it so it will work properly.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Whew, what a job customizing is! We painted his cannon today but haven't finished it yet. All that is left is to paint the spikes on it and then paint the whole figure. Since it is still drying/cureing, and we haven't clear coated it, we will take some pics of it tomorrow evening.

19. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Ok, here is the cannon finished completely. The colors used were Testors Deep Pearlescent Purple acrylic and a mixture of Grime and Bright Silver enamel. It looks great to us but what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. CTCustomz

CTCustomz Customizer

Ebay:
    Almost finished the arms today. We had to order more paint because we couldn't get the right color and for now we're waiting for that to come in.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: