TFP Optimus vs Movie Optimus

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Snark, Oct 25, 2011.

?

Who wins?

1. TFP Optimus wins

18 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Movie Optimus wins

52 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Both simultaneously kills the other

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

I fail to see the joke, proof is in the pudding. I don't have an excessive problem with it as it fit the universe, but some people need to stop trying to deny the truth of the matter and accept it for what it is.

2. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    It's not so much a joke as it is exploiting the fact that Movie Optimus Prime is excessively and hilariously violent and psychotic. I mean, when was the last time you've seen a noble heroic protagonist tear his enemy's face off his skull, punch his heart out of his chest, and shove it into his mouth? Or allow a majorly populated city to be invaded and destroyed by enemy forces just to make the local government allow him to occupy the planet?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and I certainly don't hate the character. I just think it's silly to deny that this Optimus Prime is pretty insane and rather bloodthirsty (not to mention severely overpowered).

3. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm afraid you're wrong on both your examples of Optimus's actions. This is nitpicking, but he didn't shove the Fallen's spark back into his mouth. Just a minor detail. Also, he didn't allow the city to be destroyed, he was forced to leave by the human governments; the time delay between the Chicago attack and his arrival is due to his being stuck in the ocean, not being able to fly over due to the Decepticon presence, and having a long drive ahead of him.

4. Stryker055

Ebay:
    After rewatching, you're right; that was my bad. He was just holding close to his mouth when he crushed it.

"Your leaders will now understand; Decepticons will never leave you planet alone, and we needed them to believe we were gone." I dunno, that makes it sound like Prime knew what would happen to Chicago, and the whole act was just to get the government to rely on them again.

Either way, that still doesn't undermine Prime's general psychotic violence.

5. boxorak

boxorak Lacking Shelf Space

Yeah, I guess I can concede that Monsiour Faceripper is a little more violent than most incarnations of Optimus Prime, but that's not his ONLY trait. Even if he's spouting action hero lines, he's still noble and cares for those under his guard....it's just that being at war for a couple million years can make you a little less....forgiving.

6. Honorbound

Ebay:
    Stryker055: Was that moment poorly-scripted, good God yes. It left too much ambiguity and wiggle room. However, what it does is leave the statement open for interpretation, allowing the "Prime is evil" crowd to jump on something else.

boxorak: A little? Still, your point stands.

7. Stryker055

Ebay:
    Valid point. But to clarify, I'm not saying Prime is evil; he has good intentions, don't get me wrong. It's just that his actions and decisions are often a bit morally questionable.

And he totally gets off on killing people.

8. Honorbound

Ebay:
    Questionable for some folks, perhaps. And we're going to have to agree to disagree on the "he totally gets off on killing people" thing.