TFormers interview with Andy Schmidt, addresses Continuum complaints

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nevermore, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

"Yeah, it's totally other people's fault for not following our bad writing." Is this guy channelling Darren Jamieson?

3. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Isn't he the guy who came here awhile back ranting about how nobody appreciates his highly intelligent work(s)?

4. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    But the two organisations had seperate and distinct goals that could not coaless. Despite the fact that Skywatch is now a different organisation with a different mandate, the fact remains that it is not the Machination. I can see to some exten where he is coming from with this, but I can only believe that it will make things more confusing in the long-run.

I have no problem with that. A healthy balance between the three is certainly what's needed. But maybe we've spent too much time focussing on Earth now. Despite All Hail Megatron's Cybertron segments, the core of the story and the desire of the Autobot characters always seemed to be Earth.

I thought that it was obvious that Prime's resignation stemmed from a much deeper place than simply being "sad" in the comic anyway. Such an assumption that he had become "emo" is simply silly.

Okay... Looks like a redesign, feels like a redesign, smells like a redesign. Must be a redesign, then. This, however, implies that Don Figueroa isn't a permanent artist for the ongoing...

Jesus, talk about making us wait for the stuff we want to see! Better be good!

5. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

But...it is rather different. I don't care if it's more immediate, it's not what was written before.

It also, in no way I can perceive, makes the summary any "easier".

Can he literally just not comprehend the objections and criticisms?

- Coeloptera

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I rest my case *folds arms*

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Jesus, the whole Continuum thing is full of fail.

Completely ignoring Jimmy Pink, Sixshot and the Machination isn't changing continuity? Right. Doing something like, oh, I dunno, changing Megatron from a worker to a slave IS CHANGING CONTINUITY.

No shit. We read comics, stupid. We know if a chronology issue of a series is coming out, it's not going to tell us shit we don't know. We DO, however, expect things to be fucking accurate.

But Spotlight: Wheelie is mentioned and that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the overall story, either! You put that in but leave out Spotlight:Hot Rod? How about Kup? Did you mention of Sixshot or Soundwave? Maybe Hardhead or Nightbeat? No? So I guess those weren't important to the story, then. Give me a fucking break.

The whole thing is just a bunch of convoluted and piss-poor excuses.

8. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    And you hit the nail right on the head.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Schmidt's thing is the book is intended to be a light primer for new readers they hope to attract for the ongoing series. The problem is, you're going to misinform them about things that presumably, YOU felt they needed to know.

If it's not important to the degree that you can't be bothered telling them things with a modicum of accuracy (and for new readers for a comic with a new theme, it probably isn't), then why make the book at all?

Also, telling these new readers that Skywatch was responsible for the Machination's crimes and dark deeds rather sets them up as being evil villians in the ongoing, doesn't it? In reality, they seem more like RAAT - misguided and ignorant.

10. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Its IDW what did any of you expect?

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love how it's everybody's fault except for Andy Schmidt's that Continuum wasn't received well. :lol 

Also, "I didn't change continuity"-->"I changed these things for simplicity's sake"-->wtf?

Not finding this dude's personality in regards to criticisms to be all that inspiring. Passing the buck to his own readers while nearly contradicting himself in the same interview could've gone better.

12. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I only got one question:

This reminds me of how when AHM #1 came out, IDW's editors honest-to-god insisted that Diamond's sales figures (which implied that the heavily hyped AHM #1 had sold one copy less than Devastation #1) was not showing the whole picture, and IDW's internal sales figures somehow showed the issue had sold considerably better.

So I'm wondering now... how is this alleged support of the invisible silent majority compiled exactly? Do retailers regularly file reports of customer feedback in their stores to IDW? Is someone assembling statistics on that? Or what?

13. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Exactly right. And in reading the interview, I get the impression that Mr. Schmidt underestimates the intelligence of the audience. Is it that complicated to imagine that there were two groups on Earth out to capture and exploit Transformers? Really?

I can see streamlining the story and leaving details out in order to paint a simplified picture. But facts are altered, not just left out here and there. Continuum is not a simplified version of continuity, it's an inaccurate retelling.

It's a seriously flawed product.

But some of the other information from the interview was useful. I think the decision to push the publicity with the first issue by releasing several previews and doing an interview in USA Today seems to have paid off. Some hints about upcoming rotating artists on the book and upcoming characters have me interested in what's ahead. On the whole, I thought the interview was informative and useful.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  14. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Also, the Machination was formed by Scorponok.

Skywatch was not. But if you read Continuum, what are you to believe?

If Skywatch was responsible for all this crap, does that mean it was secretly set up by Scorponok? It doesn't make any sense the revised way.

I mean, Shockwave was "controlled" by Skywatch and later encounters Scorponok, fights him, but lets him go because he has no reason to kill him.

Hot Rod goes to the Machination base and finds Scorpy's head. More stuff happens, and Hunter tells them how to stop him, they disconnect the head, and then the Autobots destroy it all. That's it, that's the end of the Machination for now.

If you make it a Skywatch facility, then how to reconcile Shockwave and Scorponok's encounter? Then in AHM #2, the government uses the Machination as scapegoats for the giant robots. You can't turn around and have that same organization then be the one responsible for hunting them down.

This isn't little stuff, this is great big swathes of continuity being rewritten after only 4 years of product.

We pay money for this stuff. I, for one, expect at least somewhat coherent continuity after only 4 years.

I will try the new ongoing, but if they keep this up I will drop it and I encourage everyone else this dissatisfied to as well. We gotta vote with our wallets or nothing will change.

- Coeloptera

15. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    As soon as I saw this interview I had decided to drop all Transformers comics. It was the straw that brok my back, so to speak. Maybe I'll check back in over summer or something, but for the time being I'm finished.

Pity, too. TF comics was pretty much the last TF-related thing I had much interest in, other than the message boards. Some of the toys look pretty good, but I've had no desire to buy them and have been in fact getting rid of everything I do have. No interest in the recent cartoons. The movies were okay popcorn flicks, but eh. My TF fix has been coming from the comics and now that's no more because of crap like this. Ah well. Wish I could say it's money saved, but with Gundam models and my new interest in Green Lantern comics... :( 

16. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I have to ask, though. How come TFormers were the only ones to ask these questions? The TFW2005 and Seibertron interviews were really tame in comparison, with question tailored to produce almost press release-suited answers.

Yet TFormers, of all sites, manages to ask questions that presses the right buttons and gives us some really interesting, unexpected answers.

Is everyone else too afraid to offend an official party? Or does TFormers just happen to have a really good staff member? Turns out he's the same guy who wrote that critical Continuum review...

17. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Oddly enough, my biggest reaction to that interview was surprise that he thinks altering someone's background from being a blue collar worker to a slave is no big deal, and simpler to understand.

There is a HUGE difference between being a slave and a manual laborer, and a HUGE difference between a society that keeps slaves and a society that employs people to carry out manual tasks. It has huge character and world implications if the Cybertronians once kept slaves, as opposed to employees.

His logic is that the book needs to be simple enough for fourth graders to understand, but the rest of the books are NOT written that way, so what's the point of "talking down" and simplifying one publication for a market this isn't catered for in the rest of the range?

I do enjoy some of the IDW stories, but this seems to be a very, very odd publication from a company that seems to make some very, very odd decisions with it's TF license.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Damn you, Coolhand, I just came back into this thread to make that point. How can someone seriously equate losing a job with escaping from slavery? Isn't that offensive to anyone who's ever been a slave. "Yeah, I totally understand what it's like to be forced under threat of death to work for someone, I once got fired."

Also, it really changes the whole story. If Megatron was rebelling against a society with a failing economy, you can argue he had good intentions but went way too far. If he escaped slavery, it's pretty difficult to argue that anything he does to overthrow that system is too much.

In summary: lol. How much you wanna bet a Dinobot combiner is on the horizon?

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Not having picked up my copy of Continuum yet from the comic shop, I'd like to thank TFormers for having the forsight and consideration for fans to offer a spoiler warning at the beginning of the interview.

Oh, wait... they didn't. Well, @#$% you then, TFormers.

However, they did save me money buying this. I think I'll just wait for the TPB and read it at the bookstore.

20. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    It's not gonna show up in a TPB. These type of comic issues never do. It's only a (poorly written) guide of what happened previously.

Unless you're talking about the Ongoing.