TFM Character Degradation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Notilator, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

OK so this Saturday i had a transformers movie marathon, as any movie fan would have, and a started realizing something throughout the movie's story: the characters (Transformers) persona's and (some) characters physical capabilities became worse throughout each movie!Now you could call this "character development", but honestly I call it a load of crap!
    For example:

Megatron: movie 1 Megatron was WAY more powerful then Optimus, and lets be honest people, kicked his a$$. I mean if it weren't for Sam he would have been killed!
    Then ROTF Megatron may have been less psychotic but he got his a$$ handed to him by O.P., plus he had the help of two other Decepticons!
    SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And then DOTM Megatron is just pathetic! I mean, he gets killed by a one armed ,battle torn, Optimus Prime!

Not convinced? OK lets see some personality get degraded!

Optimus Prime: movie 1 O.P. is all caring for life, human or Decepticon and wouldn't dare kill one if he didn't feel it threatened his or a humans life. Seriously though he apologizes for being forced to have Megatron killed!
    ROTF O.P. kills an immobilized Decepticon (Demolisher) and rips off the Fallens face, then punches through his chest and crushes his spark!
    Then DOTM Optimus is a growling, grumbling, killing machine that leaves the humans to get killed by the Decepticon invasion just to prove a point and rips out Shockwave's throat, kills Megatron after being asked for a truce, and kills an unarmed weakened Sentinel Prime!

now you could say Megatron was actually taunting him, but why would he do that with all his Decepticon forces eliminated and the Autobots and N.E.S.T. hanging around?And you could also say Sentinel had it coming, but Optimus is supposed to be the "good guy" ,and the big hero, he is suposed to do the right thing no matter what.

Now those were only a few cases, don't even get me started on Starscream, or the Decepticons in general xo

I just felt like sharing this with y'all and wondering what your opinions on the matter is.
    sincerely:
    Notilator.

2. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Back to the Prime is a psycho for killing bots that CLEARLY would kill him. This is getting old Im afraid. There is 2-3 other threads about this, No offense.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It's called 'villain decay'.

4. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Optimus had no other choice he had to leave, the Decepticons would have slaughtered the humans, regardless if the Autobots had left or not.

Plus Peter Cullen said himself that he did not think that the lines like "We will kill them all" or "You die now" were against Prime, and that is coming straight from the man himself.

But I do agree with you on Megatron's death. But that is probably because he got his face blasted, and with it some of his personality might have gone with his face.

5. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

i do realize its extremely old, but its still a valid point, even if it is over done.

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Remind me again, who was still alive at the end of that fight?

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Megatron pulled off one hell of a scheme in DOTM, people rarely give him credit for that.

He also became a more complex character due that, the scene of him gazing at Cybertron is heartbreaking.

Demolishor was more of a mercy kill than anything, he was a wrecked steaming pile of metal with a talking head by that point.

And The Fallen is a Demi-God, I bet you'd like to make SURE that the multidimensional omnicidal maniac will STAY dead.

1 - Optimus was forced to leave, if you pay attention, Sam sees the Congress deciding the Autobots should leave, I.E The Government wants themout, staying would only lead to more hate from humanity.

2 - Shockwave is Rasputin of the movie-verse. One has to make sure he won't come back.

3 - Megatron is Megatron, no one in its right mind would trust him.

4 - Sentinel Prime's crimes would be punished with death within our own military [or any government with some sanity], it's the exact same situation of executing a prisioner through the eletrict chair [or rather, through shooting].

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly the degradation is what pissed me of the most.

I like Optimus Prime being a noble leader and Megatron a badass dangerous villain. I dunno it just still doesn't make me feel right.

9. deoxys

deoxys Pokémon fan

Optimus being a noble leader and Megaron being a badass is villain is too cliche now. I liked their takes on the characters, especially Prime showing no mercy to those who didn't feel any remorse.

10. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    There are spoiler tags you can use.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Megatron's being pathetic was the friggin' point of his character. He hadn't realised it but he was completley robbed of his leader title. That's why he betrayed Sentinel. That's why he wanted a truce with Prime. It's because he wanted to be the badass, all-powerful leader.

Megatron not being the all-powerful leader is frankly the only interesting aspect of his character. If he was the boss, and The Fallen and Sentinel served him, it would've made him look like just a big blowhard who got less done than his peons. However they made him more by making him less. Honestly his realisation that he's basically been bossed around by everyone is one of the highlights of the movies for me, especially the "oh, shit you're right" face he had.

:lol 

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    In Optimus's case, it's PTSD and rage, especially since humans and Jazz died.

13. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

thank you all very much for your opinions and ideas, i really appreciate it, and you have all totally changed my perspective on this subject.this is exactly what kind of feedback I was hoping for :) 
    heh sorry :( 
    very good point :D 

14. AMG

AMG Old School

Yep, and Megatron definitely suffered the worst.

15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I saw DotM the first time, I thought Optimus had said something like his plan was to leave the humans on their own for a while, so that they could see that they (the cons) would never leave. It really did strike me as being part of his plan to let Chicago get murdered for a while in order to prove a point.

But I was wrong. When I saw it the 2nd time I realized that he was merely making a statement, not divulging the intent of some plan. He says, "Now they see that the Decepticons will never leave." It was easy enough to misinterpret negatively, but nowhere in that sentence does he say anything about the human slaughter being part of his plan.

16. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

i know, i never said he did it on purpose, i just meant that it was a very reckless decision.

17. arceelover13

arceelover13 Well-Known Member

It's Michael bay get used to it

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    If Prime didn't attempt that gambit, it would have been a lot more than just Chicago that felt the wrath of the Cons, let's just say that.