TFilm Beast Modes Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jul 14, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    According to ROTF production info, Kurtzman and Orci had Dinobots in mind for ROTF but replaced them with the Seekers. They didn’t think a beast mode (changing into an animal) seemed to fit in a universe where they’d established that a Cybertronian is able to take the alternate mode of any machine they scan, as long as it fit their size.

In their defense I can see their point: having a Transformer become just about anything sort of pushes the concept too far (all the mass-shifters out there, you’re awesome but we’re looking at you); having animal disguises is perhaps too unfair an advantage towards the Transformers.

The thing is how to introduce beast-modes and make them plausible enough that the non-TFan audience don’t throw up their hands and say it’s too much.

I can think of different ways beast modes can work with the audience:

- Have them serve as a special faction of Transformers, who have the ability to take on the beast modes from the wildlife of whatever planet they come to (sort of G1-inspired, a mass of Dinobots, Seacons, etc). Not every Cybertronian can take on a beast mode, just only a select few who serve both Autobot/Decepticon sides.

- Beast Warriors from the future, the next generation of Transformers who have evolved the ability to take on beast modes. Not only does this constitute a new element to the war (temporal displacements/interference/etc), but it also serves as a homage to the BEAST WARS saga.

- In the CYBERTRON series there was the Jungle Planet, which served as host to a variety of beastmode Transformers: Backstop, Snarl, Scourge, and so on. I think that having new Transformers appear from a previous world where they’d taken on beast modes would be a fair way to explain their preference for such modes, as well as to showcase the Transformers’ visits to other worlds.

The last thread I made in relation to a similar topic (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...95-dinobots-would-either-beasts-warriors.html) got me more flak than I expected. So can anyone please inform me whether/how a beast-mode Transformer could work in these films?

2. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Interesting ideas. But I'm trying to think; how did robots like like Ravage, Laserbeak, and Scorponok get organic-like forms? Did they scan the organisms or did they designed to be organic-like? As far as Dinobots go, It would be interersting how they would explain them in the story. But I don't expect them to show up in the live action films.

3. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

Good question, they are re-engineneerd cybertronian wildlife simualr to ours.

4. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have this feeling that with the movie aesthetic and how their bots copy every detail of the alt mode, they'd be very creepy looking.

5. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have two possible theories on that

The first is altered mechanimals

The second is from FOC. Beastmodes come about due to experimentation preformed by shockwave or one of Wheeljack's inventions.

6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    “But I'm trying to think; how did robots like like Ravage, Laserbeak, and Scorponok get organic-like forms? Did they scan the organisms or did they design to be organic-like?”
    I always saw the Cybertronian wildlife in these TFilms, or throughout TF in general, as paralleling Earth wildlife. We have a scorpion (Scorponok – giant size, but it fits), a cat (ROTF Ravage), a dog (DOTM Steeljaw) and a tapeworm (the Driller - again large-scale but fits); Laserbeak I could say is a vulture/cockatoo crossbreed (lots of predatory birds and talking birds on Earth, but no combo of the two as far as I know).

“Beastmodes come about due to experimentation performed by Shockwave...”
    Oooh, I forgot about WFC-FOC/PRIME’s “test subject” approach. Good show!

“With the movie aesthetic and how their bots copy every detail of the alt mode, they'd be very creepy looking.”
    Again, looking at the Cybertronian wildlife portrayed so far (Steeljaw in particular -
    . Have him flopping around on land trying to take down enemies only to get his fins handed to him or something: it’d be suitably funny and dangerous, and would give an aquaformer some prominence outside of the water. Don’t know which faction he’d be on though...

SHRAPNEL (G1)
    It’s fair to say the movie Insecticons deserve a bit more prominence, considering that much of the Decepticons bear an insectile appearance and a few Insecticons’ve already appeared (Scorponok, the bug Sam squashes, etc). I previously spoke of casting Airachnid (www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-movie-discussion/624849-does-airachnid-deserves-place-tfilm.html), but I think that perhaps Shrapnel would be a more ideal choice: he can be presented as a near-insane demolition expert with the altmode of a beetle (like PRIME Hardshell), who earned his name by great with explosives.

NIGHTSCREAM (Beast Machines)
    He is a bat. This automatically makes him viable, as the general public ADORES bats. He was also (and should be) voiced by Alessandro Juliani, who played one of anime’s most famous detectives L Lawliet and thus emphasizes his Dark Knight status. Probably have him go up against Ratbat in a fight or something.

Does it sound like the above reinventions would work, as well as satisfactorily introduce the concept of a beast mode?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  7. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

I'd rather beast modes be big animals, so as to avoid mass shifting. Something like an elephant, maybe? That sort of thing. Large animals.

8. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

Considering the intricate transformation schemes, if they did it entirely accurately, as the movie information says they emulate every last detail of the alt mode...

Animal guts, a stomach converting into a grotesque head, so many things just going wrong...

9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Haven’t we seen three robotic animals already? Scorponok, Ravage and Laserbeak. Their bodies could compress and fold and twist, etc all the things that happen in transforming from one thing to another. So it wouldn’t really be grotesque at all.

As long as they stay metallic animal alternate modes, and not like the Pretender-shell modes seen in ROTF, we should be good with beast modes.

10. JDK

JDK Seen Your Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind if they were a different breed of Cybertronian altogether, a race composed of organic material (or maybe a techno-organic hybrid) that could transform. It very well may be a bit grotesque, but then again, who's to say that intestines and kidney have to be under the hood of the beast mode?

The one element I can't quite wrap my head around is the skin. Does it tear going into robot mode? How does it re-join? Maybe it works the same way the smooth car surfaces work on other transformers.

I don't think I'd be satisfied with robotic-looking animal modes. Partially because it's too easy and partially because it's not a disguise at all.

11. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Hahahaha, I'm sorry, but I hope this never happens (and if it does, hopefully he'll be like your description and not like BM Nightscream).