Customs: TFCon 2009 Discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, unfortunately ol SQ7 didn't get to go to TFCon this year. Yeah, I'm just as sad as some of you folks are, but oh well *sigh*

The important thing is that many of you Radicons did get to go! :)  I thought it pertinent to get the ball rolling on the topic, nonetheless. Post your thoughts about going (or wanting to go!), your experiences, how you got a piggy back ride from our very own Nemesis Predaking or plowking. Did you get any good deals? What did you like most about the 'con? What are some of your memorable moments?

Discuss!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube - The TFCon Haul
    Sums it all up, but I will be doing a full A Radicon Blog once TFCon is over.
    We have LOTS of outstanding pics for everyone to see.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Sounds great--can't wait to see 'em. I'm always states (or in this case, countries) away from these conventions, so I live it through you guys that get to attend. Enjoy it and share the fun when it's over, NP.

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I thought some Radicons went to TFCon 2009? :sly2: 

/sarcasm

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    This thread really bums me. how on earth do ya go to a 'con, have a heck of a time, and have no stories to share? :( 

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Exactly. Someone......anyone. There's always some cool story to share about the customs you've seen, people you've met, announcements made, etc.

As I stated above, I'm always interested in reading about any 'Con happenings.

(maybe they just haven't stumbled upon this thread yet)

7. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Man, I wish I could go to a 'con of some sort. I wish they'd do one around me, but I see why they don't. I agree though, I'd love to see some pics, and hear some stories.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Wasn't there a Botcon set in Ohio a few years ago?

9. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Maybe, but that was before I was collecting again. I just got into TF's again about a year and a half ago ago. If they have one around here again though, I'll be the 1st one in line!

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    TFCon 2009 was in Toronto and several Radicons went. We're just all waiting for some of them to chime in and share.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Could someone report on the fan art contest? Who won? Any photos of the entries?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  12. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Wow! You'd think there was some top secret info at TFCon 2009, and the attendees are being tight lipped! I am interested in all the happenings, maybe we could get this thread moved out of Radicons and into TFW2005's general discussion. Perhaps that would get more eyes on the subject!:cool: 

13. Satomiblood

Lol, I know about TFCon being in Toronto this year...

I was just asking (H)i(GH) if he knew of one of the more recent Botcons being in Ohio since he mentioned the lack of big cons in his home state.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    been seeing this thread and finally gotta minute to write my experiences.

TFcon was pretty cool. Not what I expected, though pretty cool. I've only been to one other fandom type conference (other than SDCC) and that was an Everquest FanFair in baltimore way back. After the Everquest conference, I found myself quickly lose interest in the game, lol....

I arrived in Toronto Friday night. My flight was supposed to fly direct from NYC to Toronto, however those bastards on expedia rerouted me down to washington DC, 2 hour stop-over, then fly back past NYC to toronto. 50 minute trip turned into 5 hours.

Friday night was my favorite. The "part swapping" thing was really nice, and I actually unloaded a lot of crap I had in a bag. It took some lessons learned to educate myself the currency conversion from CAN to USD. I actually feel someone bad for canadian service workers and how their currency effects gratuity. Usually here in the US, if you tip someone $1 (with a bill or coin) they get ....$1. In Canada, if you tip $1 (CAN) they are really getting like 85 cents...Strange how it works, but if hypothetically you were a bartender, and sold 100 drinks in a night and every person gave you the customary $1 tip, you'd tip out with $80....

Grabbed my Powered commander sets at registration. Met up with Solcud (easy to find with his giant photo booth set up) who shared photo "tricks" and showed me exactly what I was doing wrong with my new digital camera (which turned out to be better than I thought)

[​IMG]

I was planning to enter Autobot Spike/X to the 3d art competition, but didn't get the chance to finish him. I decided last minute to bring some completed (or near completed) customs for the show. I had lots of people request I bring a Devy so they can see him in person. I brought along 2 counterpunches, the dinobot set (collab. with JAF) and Devastator (which was about 90% completed) Shoved all my painted and tools into a small tackle box. When I got in my hotel room, all the shit in the box was wildly destroyed. Paint bottles somehow broke open, parts to Devastator were covered in super glue, brushes snapped in 2, it was a mess... Yet, I was determined to get Devastator ready for the next morning. After the part swap thing, I headed up to my room and worked on Devastator. I left some key connectors home. oh shit! I did what I can with what I had (in fact his arm is only balanced on the chest for the show)

Spent the majority of Saturday in the dealer room and in panels. Got to meet some of the other members of this board and Cybertron.ca, which was cool. Apparently - Plowking and Nemesis Predaking eat a lot of wheaties ;)  I could see those guys tower amongst the crowd. Was great talking w/ Chansformers and purplebot. There were also quite a few of my commissioners roaming about. I talked a lot with Aprim and he just is a cool guy. (One of the coolest there maybe) Tony B was hanging outside, and it was cool hearing about the inner-workings that make TFW possible, also was cool to learn about electronic cigs ;)  Speaking of which, here's the "smoking lounge"

[​IMG]

Here's the back of the hotel. (i didn't take many pictures, so trying to utilize the ones I do have)

[​IMG]

Art show was cool. loved seeing other customs and artwork in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a shitload of customs/artwork on 2 or 3 banquet sized tables. A real mess. I recall that while I was nearby, I'd see people walk up to the customs and just picking them up to inspect and check them out. I think the staff had someone there to help avoid this, but the tables were right in the main path to the dealer room, where many people walked by and checked them out. Someone offered me $100 for Devastator...
    Met "Tramp" while setting up my customs as well. He didn't seem to like me in real life either, with comments like "you're always picking the wrong molds for customs"...regardless, he's a funny guy ;) 

I was anxious to hit up some of the panels on Saturday, but my lack of ANY interest in TFA made me feel like I was at the wrong convention. I went to a voice actor panel (i guess the guy who does TFA bumblebee) hoping to be entertained, but I did get a free glass of water for it, so it weighed out.

There was a costume contest too. Apparently only women enter this, exept Chansformer's buddy, I think he was some sort of scientist or character from animated...(apologies for not even knowing what it was.)
    I used a restroom on the other end of the hotel and passed a girl suiting up into TFA bumblebee. Was a very impressive costume..and...I don't have a picture of it. :dunce 

Here are some other costumes, I think they are Unicron and Vector Prime. I also think there are women inside them. (no offense if they/you were men)

[​IMG]

Was good talking with DAK. Got to hold and examine his Botcon Prime custom from last year, and checked out his 10' Optimus made of Styrofoam. Talked a lot of kitbashing, shit like that. I showed him through my laptop what it's like doing this fulltime. Here's he (right) and I (left) in front of Prime (which I think was sold by the end of the event)

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the 3d art contest winners and their trophies:

[​IMG]

One humorous thing was seeing Hasbro Canada's table...They had a few ROTF figures out on display, and were very "hush hush" about anything outside of those figures. I thought to myself - dang, I already have this one, and 5 of this one, and 3 of this guy..all at home for about 2 months now.

I gotta say though, I was like a crack addict at the reprolabel table. Every time I'd enter the dealer room, I'd drop another $20 on faction sets or some other stickers. I must have spent $100 or more there. Was cool talking with Alex Milne, and dabbing into the comic scene (something I used to obsess with) picked up all the WWI issues and IDW series (reading material for the plane trip home) Alex is a busy busy guy, but his work shows it, and I was lucky enough to get some lithograph posters and comics signed by him. I also got the Lil'Formers artist to draw me a Devastator sketch. Most of the dealers there had MIB or other things that didn't interest me. Majority of the prices were either equal or higher than retail, and I didn't see the point in buying something that's on the shelves 10 minutes from home (baggage real estate was an issue also)

The highlight of the weekend was the FansProject guys. I kept magnetically finding myself at their booth. A good 10 minutes into the conversation, their rep must have read my "www.frenzyrumble.com" t-shirt and asked "Do you know frenzyrumble" and I replied "well, yeah, that's me"...he was excited to meet me and said his company (back in Hong Kong) were fans of my customs! He asked for a pic with me (that's him on the bench)

[​IMG]

All in all, I don't think I'll be going next year. I will shoot to get to 2010's Botcon though. From what I've heard it's larger and there are more panels which will suit my TF interests, rather than TFA focused interests. I would have also liked to see a better focus on customizing (seemed to be more than you'd think interested in that) with only a minimal panel (which was good though) I think an entire day can be dedicated to customizing.

Attached Files:

15. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For Botcon and TFcon can you have your own panels? Or do the event coordinators and planners set this all up and say so?

If not and you could submit your own. I am sure that if you did a Kitbashing Panel F_R more than a lot of people would be interested in attending.

Great TFcon Blog btw. Actually sorry I missed attending. Just poor planning on my behalf ,excuses excuses.

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Funny you mention that, originally that was why I was going. I was "invited" by someone on their staff to participate on the panel. Somehow, after I got the plane ticket and hotel, they told me the panel would be only jaf (though it was NP and chansformers also) Didn't quite understand how/why that happened, I felt as though I could have shared a lot of information, tips and advice to those interested being I do customs 24/7 - guess not ;) 

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  17. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Dan Gilvezan played Generation 1 Bumblebee, Goldbug, Hot Spot, Outback, Rollbar, Scamper, Skids and Snapdragon.

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    well, then :dunce  me then, I sat through almost that entire panel and didn't know that...
    What made me think this was the line of people having him sign TFA bumblee pictures....

19. Satomiblood

Thanks for the pics and write-up, F_R.

And I cringe at the mess of paint and glue from your tackle box. My head would've exploded.

People were just picking up customs and handling them like nothing?

20. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't know if I could have just left my customs there on display if folks were just picking them up at leisure. I would have hovered over mine with a big red wiffle ball bat with a sign " You touch my custom, I kit-BASH You!!".

:horse: