TFC Toys - Project Ares (Predaking) Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Trailbreaker77, Jun 4, 2013.

1. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I think their bot modes are fine, as good as MMC's, but it's in alt modes that they really stand out.

• Like Like x 2
  2. skystormomega1

skystormomega1 Well-Known Member

Just some advice please, is TFC Ares worth buying it looks a nice set and the preadacons look nicely detailed

3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Short answer, no. Save your money for Feral Rex.

• Like Like x 7
  4. skystormomega1

is there any qc issues with tfc ares any problems, also which tfc combiner is the best

5. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't know if there are any issues with the individual members, but the combined mode is a floppy mess. Which was, up until recently, pretty par for the course. Any other Predaking would be better, even Unique Toys'. Feral Rex is generally considered to be the best Predaking, and if you want to save some money there's an oversized KO from a company called Jinbao that's supposed to be pretty good.

I'd say the best TFC combiners are Poseidon, Hercules, and Prometheus, in that order (with the caveat that I haven't got their Trinity Force). Poseidon was the first to really have decent ratchets and combiner ports that weren't based on the ones Hasbro used for Transformers Energon. The engineering for Hercules is pretty dated, but at the time he was pretty impressive and he fits in well with old Classics figures. Prometheus is still fairly unstable, largely due to weak foot connections and the problematic hips that plagued TFC all the way through Hades, but because his hips are pretty wide and he can stand fairly straight he's not as floppy as Ares, Uranos, or Hades.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Harpoon Accurate

I think it is. It doesn’t do the greatest job at stability like some of the other TFC combiners, but it’s a nicely detailed and very imposing figure. The beast modes are also very solid. It’s at least worth taking a flyer. The earlier TFC combiners are pretty affordable nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

My friend had the same issues with his

8. skystormomega1

i watched the video thanks , i see what you mean , could have done with being a bit better tfc should retool this set or better still make upgrade kits to fix issues with this set , it does not matter how detailed and nice you make this set it all comes down to articulation and stability , i have seen this set at a retail website for about £195.00 , but i would not combine this set just for its individual robot and alt modes i do have the os jinbao feral rex had issues with mine because the seller poorly packaged it and there was damage and had to buy replacement of main member after watching video a reviewer suggested collapsing the legs and that made a difference and with the upgraded hands with articulated fingers can hold sword better and there is a way to hold it

9. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Feral Rex is miles better. If you're not even planning on combining them, I recommend FR even more. The individual bots are excellent, and their heads are properly proportioned as opposed to the Jinbao version.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NotTheFace

NotTheFace Lightning Strike

Another vote for you to skip. I found each bot at less than retail, and it's basically one of my biggest purchase regrets. If you only have 3 of the 4 limbs, he stays together fairly well, but once you get Divebomb and try combining him along with the wings, everything falls apart. I'm also not a fan of the individual bots either. It's their own take, but even then, they aren't very exciting. The Unique Toys version is better, and that was their first release. Oh, and the combined sword looks horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  11. funkified

funkified Well-Known Member

another vote for Rex! still love his aesthetic, for being one of the early 3p combiners he still looks great.

12. Datstro

Datstro Plastic Surgeon

Yeah, like what everyone else has mentioned, don't get Ares.
    He's all floppy combined and lacks refinement.
    I got mine when he was first released... waiting and collecting part by part as they were slowly released to the market.
    Individually you may still be able to tolerate the flaws and design... but combined and when it keeps leaning over, falling and parts dropping off... you don't need that hassle.
    Only buy it if you can get it dirt cheap or for customization.
    Get Rex instead.

13. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    TFC Ares' individual bots are excellent.

The main problem is they combine and feel like they want to collapse or fall over frequently. Just too much focus was put into making each figure as big and chunky as possible.

14. skystormomega1

i have seen the unique toys preadaking and looks more stable than the tfc ares the sword for unique toys preadaking is better and looks like the combined mode can handle it, but what i like about the unique toys version is that the feet have led lights , i have seen unique toys preadaking for £120.00 on ebay , i was going to buy the tfc uranos aka superion but heard people who have had issues with that i thought best to avoid , you can get a retooled remake os of the combiner wars superion seen reviews of it and its very good great joints , stability and its cheaper than tfc uranos and looks more g1 accurate , but i may give tfc ares a miss and i have committed to buy the unique toys bruticus combiner and the jinbao os grvity builder combiner

15. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

What about Warlord?

16. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like TFC Ares, yes it's not stable. But as a combiner, how often do u pose them? For me, just lean it against the wall then it's fine.
    For individual robot and beast mode are well designed, and the combined Predaking looks great too.

So many people say good thing about MMC Feral Rex, I don't really agree. The beast mode of Feral Rex are weak, plus even combined, it is more stable than TFC's version, however it's not without it owns stability issue too. Plus it's way more expensive.

As for UT Warlord, I won't even consider, it's not in the same league as TFC or MMC.

• Like Like x 4
  17. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Quality wise? He does look better aesthetically (in my eyes at least) but have no on hands experience.

18. xueyue2

News Credits:
    Not quality wise, I didn't handle UT version myself, at least I can't comment on the quality.

Yes UT is stable, but look at the individual bots, they are very simply, just like G1 with articulation.

UT
    [​IMG]

While TFC, u can see lots of added details, features. For example, TFC's Headstrong and Tantrum's head, can be displayed as the G1 mode (means as helmet) or put inside the chest, like the picture below. Divebomb's wing can use as blades

[​IMG]

Plus all TFC memebers has addition energon socket can added PCC parts on them, which is really nice cool play features. Below is the Rampage with dino parts.
    [​IMG]

And the UT combined mode is not impressed as well, so thin and weak look.

[​IMG]

TFC
    [​IMG]

As I said, MMC one is nice, but it's too expensive and the beast mode is not as good as TFC ones. TFC ones are very reasonable priced now with lots of play values as bots, beasts and impressive combined mode (just not stable).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  19. xueyue2

News Credits:
    a few more pics of TFC ones with PCC parts.

This one with the FPJ add-on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With PCC:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  20. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Level Six Laser Lotus TFW2005 Supporter

Combined mode is a floppy mess. Its a pose it and leave it kind of bot. Individual modes look all right but there are a ton of combined mode parts that have no other integrated use. I dont regret buying it since it only cost me $130 but Feral Rex outshines it in every way and I paid full retail for that.

• Like Like x 1