TFC Toys Hercules - Figure 4 - Dr.Crank

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by dkr7, Dec 14, 2011.

1. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    Dr.Crank - one of the better figures so far, quality control seems really good on this figure with everything feeling solid and durable. Paint apps are decent with only one or two not lining up perfectly. Robot mode looks very good although for me the back looks a tad cluttered, but articulation is great and the figure can hold poses very well. Vehicle mode is really fun and the crane is massive to say the least. Haven't wired the crane up yet but will be doing that soon. Combined mode connects very solidly and looks.....well, Awesome!

Only flaw i have noticed is HL's cab doesnt connect very well but not a big deal. Out of the ones i have i'd rank them:
    1. Structor 2. Exgraver 3. Dr.Crank 4. Heavylabor

I will try to fill picture requests if i can

Vehicle Mode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Robot Mode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Combined Mode:
    [​IMG]
    For scale -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For Fun:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man that is gorgeous. Thanks for all of these photos and great review :) 

3. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the left arm will not stay on with mine. when you turn it it pops off the swivel =[

4. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In combined mode he scales pretty well with perfect effect and classics figures, but i still think the individual bot modes are a bit too tall

oh well, he still looks badass as Devastator

5. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Did you figure out how to configure the gun based on any sort of instructions that come with Dr. Cru(a)nk, or just do it based on what seemed logical based on the pieces provided already? I'm guessing the later will be the case, but hoping for the former!

6. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Has anyone tried putting string on the crane yet?

7. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    yeah, it's hard to keep it lined up as when there's slack in the line it comes off the pulleys and gets tangled, i'm kinda waiting to see if someone comes up with a solution before i attempt it again

8. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    I'd love to see more pictures of these guys alongside other classics figures (Seekers, Autobot Cars like Prowl/Jazz etc). The thing holding me back from getting these is that the Bot modes seem a little too big to fit in with the other classics comfortably.

9. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    My fav figure then Structor out of the 4 so far. Gd review.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    looking forward to Tuesday when he AND Structor arrive!

11. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

What about using a length of jewelry wire on the hook pulleys, and a length of string only for the boom arm? That'd give the front end the correct look without sacrificing the ability of the arm to extend and retract, and you'll have less stuff to get tangled.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice and solid. I might have preferred the crane arm to just have a hook on it, rather than the winch-with-no-cabling approach. I don't bother moving the shoulder wheels to the sides, as that hinders articulation, and wheels in front look good anyway. Combiner-chunk mode works pretty well, and its impressive how there are little parts just to brace things together. My biggest complaint is some overly stiff joints with poor leverage, such as the crane base which I can't turn without removing it from the vehicle, and the connection pegs, which are determined to rip my fingernails out when trying to move them. (I find teeth are more effective, but potentially damaging)

Pretty nice, and feels unlikely to wreck its own joints like some. Above average among Hercules crew members.

13. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    I want to hear more about this. I hope its isolated but is anyone else having this issue?

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Probably not fully inserted. Only 2 minor problems with mine: the rear wheels. One has a hard time staying parallel in truck mode, the other is a bit loose (pin not fully inserted).

15. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    I was wondering about the scale myself. Upon reflection, I think it's pretty good. These guys transform in construction vehicles, which are larger than cars, so their robots modes should be a bit taller.

16. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

if you do a google image search with "TFC Hercules Rifle" or something to that effect it should be on the first page. It's also in the Mega-Thread here, but it got lost in the hundreds of pages somewhere.

17. wheeljack359

Ebay:
    I think a good fix for that pin is " use a soldering iron to heat up the pin, careful not to touch the plastic, and apply pressure the pin will sink into the plastic and when cool be locked in place. Its how I insert and remove pins when I customize.

Just takes a careful touch! I solder as part of my career so it seems natural to me. If someone needs help I am willing, as long as either you live close enough, or you dont mind sending it to me.

18. wheeljack359

Ebay:
    That always bugged me even as a kid I knew the constructicons should have been huge, individually even. I like how this set is closer to that idea and the other set by Maketoys fixes the issue by making the construction vehicles of the smaller type you see on smaller construction sites.

It gives reason to love these sets, but i like Hercules best of the two.

19. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

I don't really mind the individual bots being fairly large by Classics standards as the Constructicons should be pretty big guys based on their alt modes alone.
    Really now, if we were to go by alt mode scale alone, these guys, especially Heavy Labor and Dr. Crank, would be more than double the size of someone like, say, Jazz. But then they would be ridiculously oversized in their robot forms.

So yeah, while scale has always been an issue in the TF universe I think these guys strike the best balance possible.

And really, is there any combiner whose individual bots are even remotely in scale with each other?

Devastator comes close with Scavenger probably being smaller than the rest of the COnstructicons but not by a huge margin.

Defensor has a motorcycle, ambulance, helicopter, sedan all nearly half the size of a fire truck.

Bruticus has a jeep, SPACE SHUTTLE (or humvee and aerial drone in FansProject's iteration) tank, helicopter and large flat-bed artillery truck.

Menasor is probably the closest, helped by the fact that four of the limbs share similar alt modes with the larger bot forming a truck. If anything, Motormaster is under-scaled.

And then there's Superion. While the individual smaller jets are probably fairly close in scale Silverbolt is WAAAAY under-scaled. Classics Silverbolt's alt-mode is probably closest in scale to the original Aerialbot limbs.
    Don't get me started on the Energon/Classics Aerialbots. Between A10 Warthogs and a heavily modded Blackbird that thing is insanely out of scale.

So yeah, when TFC picked their sizes for these guys I think they made the best compromise possible. Especially considering the size of the combined form being pretty close to FP's Bruticus. While that may or may have been intentional, I am happy that they are close enough that they don't look ridiculous next to each other.

Now, if only someone would make an appropriate sized Predaking. Actually, scratch that. If anyone was to pull off a Predaking that was appropriately bigger than Hercules/FP Bruticus I can't see how they could make the Predacons not HUGE.

20. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

awwww you took my question.

wasnt expecting it but i got him yesturday if i had string i put it on have an autobot swing from hook as tarzan