TFC not-devastator: how many here can justify the price?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by roy_flagg00, Jun 23, 2011.

1. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

Honestly, I love transformers And I have every figure that fansproject has made right as well as other third party stuff. The price puts some people off, but you are paying for good quality figures/accessories. Now this is getting ridiculous though.

$100 per limb? I cannot justify paying that price, regardless of the quality. can anyone else here?

I know I am probably :horse: :deadhorse: , but I think the points bears repeating.

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    $100 includes shipping and reseller fees, so I can't knock it for that extra $20 or so since I have to pay those fees for anything I buy online; it's the same deal for the Henkei and United figures I've bought in the past.

Now, my subjective value of the figure as a standalone is maybe $60 tops. However, this is sort of a unique case since each figure is essentially a triple changer. I guess you could say gesault mode gives me additional value.

It's a "whole greater than the sum of the parts" kind of mentality for me.

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't. Even though I would love to have it. So....I'm just gonna break out my green KO G1 Devy....goo gone off the craptastic KO stickers and get the crazy devy kit :)  Then maybe paint some parts silver and the mixing barrel purple (if I can find the matching color at a local hobby store). I think I'd be more than happy with that. But that's just me.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    You do not justify the price, you buy it, you fall in love with it and forget what you paid for it.

It is over priced by about $20 a figure but what can you do.

5. roy_flagg00

Understood. I would love to have this figure, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but to ask myself what other things $600 dollars could buy.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

$100 is a lot of money, especially for a toy or collectible item, but I can justify it because it's a one-of-a-kind piece that's fulfilling a specific demand (an updated Devastator based on G1). No one else is making this particular Devastator. It's not like I can find a cheaper, more available equivalent at Walmart or TRU.

I pulled the trigger on the first. I'm going to see how much I like it before I decide on buying the rest. $100 is steep, but I plan on scaling back my TF purchases once I'm fully caught up on RTS/Generations. Any other money in the collection budget will be re-dedicated to this.

I think if it was $150-200 a pop, I'd probably pass.

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I think you can justify it by saying, "if I don't like it, I will probably get what I paid for it."

One other quick thing. Not sure how over priced 3rd party figures are any more. When Takara has their United stuff selling at $45. How bad is a 3rd party toy selling at $80-$100?

8. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    True.....but....like the OP said....I kinda have to wonder what $600 would get me :D  Food...bills paid....other TFs I wanted......argh....I need to win the lottery :tongue: 

9. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

It's too rich for my blood. I'm eyeing that MakeToys Not-Devy and hoping it'll be more affordable.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    its actually 78$ if its not marked up after TFC.

Also, the less you think about it, the more ok you are!~

11. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    That's definitely true for a combiner of all things, and I think it's the right way to "value" this release for purchasing decisions.

That said, I can't justify $600 for Devastator... It's not really the $100/limb price that bothers me, it's the grand total. :)  I don't really look at this as 6 figures because if I did buy them, I would leave them in combined mode anyway, so it's really just 1 $600 figure. Can't bring myself to pull the trigger on that.

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    lets not forget though, these are deluxe-sized triple changers from a third party. they look similar to Warbot Defender in size, and from a company not as popular as FP, the price is bound to be a little higher. and when you consider that they all need to look decent in all three modes, come with weapons and, in some cases, limbs-It all makes sense to me. is it a little higher than i would have liked? well yeah. but its gonna be worth it. I hope.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I try not to think of it this way. It's $100 a figure every two months. Not a $600 lump sum. Save some cash and spread it out.

This is how I justify this price and me willing to pay the price: it's not going to get any cheaper. TFC Not-Devi looks good and it has huge potential. I'm not going to risk missing out on a once in a life time figure only to pay Ebay prices down the road.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    This is a Transformers fandom phenomenon. Because most of us leave things as one mode for display or just buy multiples to display in multiple modes.

But if we really care about it in the way you described it, wouldn't robot replicas be the most popular thing out there?

15. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll probably justify it like the same way someone justifies buying a set of shattered glass TFs...

It looks cool.

16. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That helps too. It's like, you can have:

One dollar.
    Four quarters.
    Ten dimes.
    Twenty nickels.
    Holy shit, 100 pennies!

17. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    True. I'm still in a quandary about it. *sigh*....maybe the impulse demon within me will make me pull the trigger...who knows :D 

18. roy_flagg00

Also, I am torn. I don't want to see these guys fail as it looks like they put alot of passion and work into this, but if it succeeds, it might give the other 3rd party companies bad ideas about their pricing...

19. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I can't. I put the first piece in my POL for about three days trying to think of a way to justify spending that kind of cash right now on toys, and just couldn't do it. Don't get me wrong, I piss my fair share of money away on toys, and would probably find a way to budget it if, FP didn't just release the clear Rodimus armor, Botcon just happened, Club exclusives released, G2 Prime upgrade in the works, 3rd party minibots, random movie junk to buy, missed MP Rodimus (I want the trailer), US Rodimus x3, other stuff I have missed. My budget is officially tapped, and I am not about to start running up CC debt for toys. This has been an expensive year, and summertime spending is here. Just have to realize that as cool as they look, and as impressive as other's displays are, some things just arn't in my collecting budget right now.

The announcement of a second 3rd party Devs today also throws a kink in it. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

20. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    Fair point, but here's the thing: I do pick up/transform/pose/play with a large number of my figures on a regular basis. This one, I don't see myself picking him up, taking him apart, doing all this stuff, etc etc. Also: I just don't like robot replicas anyway. :) 

But closer to my point is this: I don't see how you could buy only 2, 3, 4, or 5, of this set: it's either 1 (to see how it is, as some people are doing), or 6 (so you can combine them/have complete set). So at the end of the day we can say it's $100/figure, but ultimately it's going to be either a $100 or a $600 purchase. If we accept the premise that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, then it's just a question of whether a $600 figure is worth it in itself. If it is, then it necessarily is worth more than the individual figures and one can buy without reservation, ignoring the "$100/figure - ouch!" mentality. :)  Personally I don't feel $600 is worth it for the combined mode, which ends the inquiry for me.