Customs: TFC Devastator competing directly with Radicons Devastators?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TGping, Feb 12, 2011.

1. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone want to discuss how the new TFC Devastator might affect the prices of a custom devs made by a Radicon?

Will the Ptitvite method become obsolete? I think now if someone does a Devs custom it will be be with the TFC version as a base. However it looks like we have a couple of years before we get a complete set.

Meaning that if a Radicons wants a better Devs they'll really have to pull out all the stops, I mean that's what this customizing thing is all about making things better than Hastak, or at least making things that Hastak wont.

Haha! Maybe the the aftermarket prices on the TFC Devs will skyrocket once production ceases and the Radicons versions will be more affordable!?

Start brainstorming the add-on kits for the unliscenced 3rd party product! I mean really, a lot of fans will want a chest sheild and who knows what else. I would advise picking up the not-hook just to get a jump on that, so that by the time the thing is completely released it will be ready for the masses :D 

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I don't think it will render the Ptitvite formula obsolete. I think there are a lot that still like those Devastator builds and I think we'll still see them because they are more readily available. Even if the TFC figures were out, I'm guessing the price still may put some people off, not to mention the long wait to get them all and build the monster.

I've seen a few Devastator builds that have gone completely off course from the Ptitvite formula and they work well (two that come to mind are by Megatron31 and deaculpa--both of which are still in WIP stages). It's possible it could affect the prices on these other Devy builds, if they are sold or auctioned. But I think the Devy builds we've seen will go for better prices, since this will be a 3rd party set of figures that will more than likely have a set number of pieces done of each character. In the end, I see these figures and Devastator as a whole going for big bucks simply due to that (take a look at the early FansProject stuff--the Cliffjumper kit, City Commander, Shadow Commander, etc.). Most go for more than double the original price.

I'm looking forward to Devastator and the Constructicons from TFC. I really like the look of each figure so far and I think it does a great job of being a more modern update to the old G1 combiner team.

3. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I really don't think they will have an effect on the price of customs but maybe the demand for ptitvite formula might decrease, but I don't imagine too many customs being made from the tfclubs version. I look forward to seeing it completed though it's gonna be a monster and I may even be tempted to buy him. But I would have to change out those dam heads. I'm ok with updated versions of a character but at least give them the same head.

And thanks for the recognition hxcpunk23

4. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Radicon Devastators are works of art.
    In the same manner that a great painting is still in demand despite the availability of High res photos, Custom built and painted Devastators will still draw people in.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    TFC Devastator competing directly with Radicons Devastators?

No. The basic answer is that TFC will be marketing this to a wider consumer base than any of the customs could since they're one-offs. A person who would probably never purchase a custom-made piece by a Radicon would likely make this purchase, especially since said consumer can purchase the TFC version from a retailer such as BBTS or TFSource.

I also don't think that the custom-made pieces will become "less-affordable" because of the cost of materials and work that can go into it. "Less-desirable" maybe.

It's noteworthy as well that in the customs community, there are always trends. People will tend to like a certain custom, and that particular custom will sort of rule out for a while. Sometimes, it's a single piece, and other times it's a line, and it can often be both.

The bottom line is that I don't think that either TFC or Radicons have anything to worry about :) 

6. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    so what if takara makes a masterpiece devastator?

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Personally, I haven't seen much of a decline in the requests I get for the Classic's Ptitvite inspired Devastator, I get a lot - still. Personally, I wouldn't mind (one bit) moving towards this new platform as the inspiration though. With some decent mods, add-ons, etc, the tfClub Devastator (customized) will be a very very good thing.

8. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

The ptivite devie and tfclub are like apples and oranges, but they're both still fruit. :lol 
    There will always be room for both (and more), it's just the demand that will change. Personally, I like the direction tfclub is going, but it's still not the devastator I want to see. It's hard to explain, but I like the look of guido's in AHM.
    not sure how much the custom ones sell for, but I still think they will be cheaper (in the long run) than what what tfclub has going. Thats going to be an expensive beast, but we fans have shown that we will pay whatever for what we want.
    Randy!

9. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

Agreed.

Plus, we haven't heard how much a set will run. It still may be more affordable to go the custom route.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    IIRC, the TFC versions will run about $30 or so a figure. Multiply that by 5 or 6 (I can't remember how many they're are doing), and I'd still say that the TFC version will be cheaper. I really can't see the custom being the cheaper option with as much resources as there are involved with it.

11. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am pretty sure the demand will drop....yet...those who still think Ptitvite's design is the best, will still want one...

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yinothing made Ptitvite's Devastator method obsolete. People still commission for Ptitvite style Devastators.

TFC's Dev is still not going to be as widely available as the figures used for custom Devs.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Could you elaborate more on this, please? That's interesting . . . .

14. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  15. Superquad7

News Credits:
  16. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i dont know that i would go that far. dont get me wrong i prefer that one to ptitvite's if i were going to get a custom made. but you dont see many using yinthongs version, granted i dont look at any other custom sites than this one, but i have only seen that formula 2 or 3 times and one of them i started i think the other was deaculpa.

I just havent seen it replicated as many times as the normal formula

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The TFC Devastator will give anyone lacking the skills and/or funds to create (or commission) their own combiner a chance to buy one. Not everyone is going to be able to buy a TFC version since it'll be an expensive and slow drip. But it shouldn't hurt the customs market too much. It'll just give people more buying options. And it's not like this will be the absolute Devastator to own. There are people that are still going to hold out for an official Hasbro/Takara release based on both budget and principle.

18. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The demand will go nowhere.... some people don't have the time, skill, or desire to paint a figure and have it look like some of the customs out there.

Also.... $30 a figure? I think that is WAY low.... I think you are going to look at $50-100 a figure.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Clearly this is all simply my opinion, but I think it just makes a better looking Devastator. It goes for bulk rather than height, does away with the common complaint of Unicron crotch, and was overall just a refreshing sight among all the other Devastators. Rather than replicating the formula, playing with it a bit and finding something new.

Can Yinothing's method still be improved on? Sure. Deaculpa and I spent a great deal talking about this Devastator before he started posting up his work. He's made his changes to the design, I (slowly but surely) will make mine.

Personally, I try to promote Yinothing's Dev design as much as I can because I feel it really flew under the radar by many.

20. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's still a take on pivite and not really original. It's "sculpted" different. That's what seperates one devy from another, the personal touches. You can have house rules in monopoly but the end it's still monopoly.

Heck this one is the best I've seen so far and even he acknowledges Pvites role in it:

[​IMG]