TFC 13 Targetmaster Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Teratron, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

I finally got around to buying a Targetmaster Hot Rod reissue. I got it off an eBay auction listed as MISB for a pretty good price. However, as soon as I got it, it was clear the box is not sealed. Both the tape seal for the box and all the tape seals for the interior plastic have been cut. Even the plastic bag with the paperwork had obviously been opened. Everything is there and the figure itself appears to be virtually untouched, so I'm fine with it as is since I never planned to keep it in the box anyway.

Thing is, considering I already know it's not quite what was described, I'm not certain I can trust the seller. The fact that it's a new user with only 8 ratings so far doesn't help either. I'd like to make sure I really did get an authentic item, and not just some knockoff swapped into the packaging.

First off, I noticed that the three factory-applied stickers (the flames on the chest and the sides of the car) are replaced with paint applications. This was the thing that really got me suspicious. As far as I knew, all releases of G1 Hot Rod have stickers for these details. Is the TFC version an exception? The quality of the paint apps seems excellent, so I have a hard time believing it's a knockoff, but it was so unexpected that I have to wonder.

Next, does anyone know if there are any G1 Hot Rod knockoffs out there? I've heard of the Alternator Rodimus knockoff and too many G1 knockoffs to count, but I've never heard of a G1 Hot Rod knockoff before. If there are any, is there any good way to tell one apart from the real thing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    The only Hot Rod KO that I know of is slightly oversized and some of the colors are off.

And if I were you, I'd get to filing an "Item not as described" dispute with Ebay/Paypal. Now.

3. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

I second Soundblaster's advise to open up a dispute with the bay ASAP. As for the toy itself, I've got a TFC Hot Rod who *was* MISB when i bought him and i just checked.. they're definately still stickers on mine. Wether that means he's a KO, or a running change to paint apps, or some other legitmate Hot Rod toy (Later G1? Japanese G1?), I can't really say one way or another. But in any case, just the box not being MISB is enough to justify a complaint to me. You didnt get what you paid for.

4. HunGrrr

HunGrrr Eamus Catuli!

My TFC Targetmaster Hot Rod has the paint apps; You have the right item in your package.

http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vhotrod.html <----from Fred's variants page.

TFC Inferno and Starscream, and Steeljaw (with Blaster) all had tampos and paint in some areas where the vintage had factory applied stickers.

5. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

Thanks for the responses. That link HunGrrr provided was especially useful. I'm relieved to know that it is a genuine figure that I got. :D 

As for disputing the item, I realize I'd be well within my rights to do so. However, I really have no desire to. I never particularly wanted a sealed boxed figure. I was just looking for a TM Hot Rod that was in great shape, and this one came along at a price I was happy with. The deviation from the description made me worry about whether there was anything else I should be concerned about, but I'm otherwise quite happy with the purchase. I'll make a note of it when I leave feedback on eBay, but otherwise there's no real point in going any further with it.

Thanks again!

6. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Also, I don't remember the inside but I don't believe the outer box on TFCs were ever sealed with tape.

Still, I'd file a complaint.

The best thing about the TFC Hot Rod was the Target Master. The 2002 Takara Reissue was far superior in the quality of plastic and was more like the original. The TFC Hot Rod always felt a little cheaper to me. Quality started to go down towards the end of the TFC.

7. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Is it possible customs opened it?