TFC-005 Gear of War 2

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by 009*, Dec 15, 2009.

1. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    TFC-005 Gear of War 2 (edit: Pics added/pic heavy)

This is my first review here, so forgive me if this seems lackluster. I bought 2 of this set as an alternative to Buster Prime. Not to say that B-Prime isn't worthy of a purchase, just not right now. Plus B-Prime is ~$100 for a slightly tweaked Prime with one gun where ~$80 for 2 sets essentially gets you 6 guns that can use LED lighting.

The contents of one set is as follows:
    • 1 x Alternity Convoy blaster
    • 1 x Classics Optimus/Nemesis/Ultra Magnus blaster with built in LED
    • 1 x LED for Alternity blaster and Classics Optimus/Nemesis/Ultra Magnus eyes
    • 8 x Movie Optimus rifle add-on parts

First off, these are some decent LED lights. Each runs on three button cell batteries, although the ones in package might need replacing. The ones included with mine are labeled "LR44" but "357A" work too. As some of the video reviews point out, the ones for the Alternity blasters are very bright without something to shine through.

The main guns in this set are, obviously, new versions of the G1 laser rifle. The smaller is for A-Convoy and the larger for Classics Prime. In addition, there are the extra parts for the Classics gun to become the movie gun.

Aside from the intended purpose of being extra guns for an Optimus, they can be used on other figures. I've tested with Classics Starscream and Shadow Commander, and found the Alternity LEDs fit in the shoulder holes on the sides. Just stick the pegs on the bottom in and you've added new shoulder cannons to the figure. That or high beams if you leave the rifles off. Granted it'll look a little weird with one being upside down, but this way they'll face the same direction.

The larger rifle is designed for the Classics Optimus mold. However, RotF Leader Prime can hold this gun as well, but it does look small and the fit is a bit loose. The upcoming Battle Roller has new parts that look to fix this though. The LED isn't as bright though

Now for the big gun. While I would've preferred a movie-accurate silver, the black fits well with the G1 inspired guns and the Jetfire Prime combo, so I'll let it slide. The main parts are the two that hold the rifle and connect the gun to Prime's hand, with two smaller ones that help hold the gun together. The other four just flesh out the movie accuracy.

Now there are some minor flaws with this set. The plastic, while sturdy, requires finesse. The handle on the Alternity blaster seems too big to go through the top of the fist without some force. If you insert in the bottom of the fist it seems much easier to fit. If you put the gun in the "right" way, you risk breaking the handle. I found this out the hard way, but it looks like I can still glue the handle back on. Also, the set isn't designed to merge with the Jetfire gun and turn in the cannon from the film
    heh heh

I have to say that I'm glad I bought these sets. This is easily a good alternative to B-Prime for those on a budget. Once I can get a camera, I can put some pictures up.

While not intended by the design team, I've found that it is possible to merge this set for the movie cannon.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looking forward to your pics.

but let me just say that Buster Prime is not 'a slightly tweaked Prime'.

peace!

3. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Plus B-Prime is ~$100 for a slightly tweaked Prime with one gun where ~$80 for 2 sets essentially gets you 6 guns that can use LED lighting.

This is a completely untrue statement.

1. buster prime was $89 shipped.
    2. buster prime has a new head mold, new paint, new clips for the feet, tighter joints, better paint, gun, chromed grill and visors, etc. Do I really need to go on?

4. 009*

News Credits:
    Okay I have some pics now.

As noted, the Alternity gun's handle can break easy.
    [​IMG]

City Commander with the movie gun and LED equipped Alternity blaster.
    [​IMG]

Starscream with Alternity shoulder cannons. This is what I meant by "upside down" in the review.
    [​IMG]

City Commander with Alternity shoulder cannons.
    [​IMG]

I removed the rifles to show how bright the LEDs are.
    [​IMG]

This is how I put the blaster in Convoy's hand now.
    [​IMG]

This is how I obscure the upside down hand.
    [​IMG]

Leader Prime with Movie and Classics blasters.
    [​IMG]

Action pose with double Movie blasters.
    [​IMG]

Hmmm... something's missing.
    [​IMG]

Okay let's start making the cannon. First, get a movie blaster and the Jetfire gun.
    [​IMG]

Remove the landing gear and the extra parts. The highlighted sections are what will hold the guns together.
    [​IMG]

Next, fit the two together like so.
    [​IMG]

Last, fold the Jetfire gun down like normal, fitting the grooves into the slots on the movie blaster and viola!
    [​IMG]

Jetpower Optimus Prime with his guns. The parts that were omitted are below.
    [​IMG]

An action pose. The cannon obviously isn't as secure a fit as the other forms since it wasn't intended, but it holds pretty well if you handle it carefully. You can let it sit pointed down overnight and it'll still be together.[​IMG]

Again, this set is a great alternative to B-Prime, but fact it can use Jetfire's gun like that makes a great companion to B-Prime as well.

5. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Ok well what you did with Jetfire's gun is cool. damn you.:redface2: 

6. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can you put the alternity rifle in classics prime's hand? how much work would it take?

7. 009*

News Credits:
    You have to add the LED first, but Classics Prime can hold the Alternity rifle.

8. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Aw man, I only need the Alternity rifle so it's just too much to justify it. I do feel slightly better knowing that the gun is a little brittle, so maybe I really am better off without it.

Sweet set though, and thanks for the review + Pics.

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Kind of sucks you have to use the Classics Prime gun to make the movie gun and those are the only two I have. I would have to buy 2 sets to make it useful.

10. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had some trouble trying to get the Alternity gun to fit Alty Prime as well. But after a bit of time pushing it down it finally fit in and luckily the handle on mine didn't break in the process (though that was my fear). It's a great looking set though and the packaging is done in Alternity style and looks good too. It even has 2 holes on top and the 2 LED guns are positioned so that you can press the "on" buttons through the holes to activate the lights without having to open the package for all you MISB collectors or for those who want to test the LED lights I guess.

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just chiming in to say that I also had trouble with the Alternity gun; it wouldn't fit until I used my X-acto knife to shave a small amount of plastic off the back of the handle.

12. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I cannot believe that TFClub could make such an engineering error to have the handle that is too big for the toy that it is designed to fit. TFC-004 Gear of War (1) also had slightly larger pegs but that was probably due to the chrome layer. Is there a toy that can fit the smaller gun perfectly by itself? Also, sometimes the light module on the smaller LED component does not turn on. Has anyone experienced this and what solution is available?

13. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think it was a huge blunder for them not to make the smaller gun compatible with classics prime WITHOUT the stupid LED thing

smaller size seems to scale better with the figure

14. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

does the one set come with enough parts to make 2 movie OP guns? Pm me cause i wont be on this thread again.
    Thanks.

15. Red Snarl

Red Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got the set today. The set is awesome but I think I like playing with the led for the eyes more than than guns themselves.

[​IMG]

16. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i had issues trying to place the gun in alt prime too. i got it in half way but it would slide out. i didn't even know how fragile that peg was till i saw this. now i'm a bit wary to try again lol.

i like how the classics prime gun can fit almost any transformer with a bit of fiddling. the gun fitted perfectly on my big convoy also.