TFAnimated: A theory about toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Radioactive Ravage, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

A lot of the characters we've seen toys of from the TFAnimated line seem to raise a question: What the hell happened to the Leader Class?

Optimus Prime is a Voyager. Megatron is a Voyager. These two, who are normally leader class, have been scaled down, perhaps to be more in scale with the other robots. But then why is Bumblebee so freaking huge? And after them, there's a fair number of other Voyagers, too...

Grimlock: Voyager.

Bulkhead: Voyager.

Starscream: Voyager.

Then Soundwave, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Lugnutz, Prowl... they're all Deluxes. I was a bit confused: Perhaps they're saving Leader class for something truly exciting? But with not proof of that, I was left, once again, to wonder why there were none. It was said that Trailers that feature super-mode transformations (for Optimus Prime) are costly to make, so he was given a smaller one that became an ax. That got me thinking.

If Optimus Prime was downscaled because of cost, perhaps Megatron was, too. This would keep the Autobot and Decepticon leaders close in-scale with one another, and some money would be saved on having to create and manufacture larger toys. But what if they got rid of the Leader class all together? This would save enough money to make more molds, and judging by the number of characters who will be making appearances in the show, this would be a good choice. We've already seen a number of very unique molds just by the prototypes.

Thoughts?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    some stores like meijers will not carry leader-class and above toys anymore because they don't sell unless they're on clearance. perhaps that has something to do with it?

3. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I myself am glad that they are not gonna do leader class figures. But I bet that there will be leader class figures in the tf2 toyline.

4. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Meijers has stocked the movie leader class. I'll admit I'm not familar with the pre-movie situation however since I only just recently moved into an area with a Meijers.

Still to be honest I think I will prefer the elimination of the leader class. I'm probably in the minority here, but for some reason when the leaders went up to a$40 price point a mental barrier went up as a consumer. It was much easier for me to pick up a variety of deluxes and voyagers which might interest me than to purchase a $40 leader figure. Of course this change also occurred around the same time that I became engaged to a wonderful woman who was not really a fan, but was ok with my hobbies since they kept me entertained (as many collectors know, you often become much pickier about what you pick up once you are in a serious relationship). Now almost a year after my wife passed away, I still can't get over that $40 price tag for a single mainline figure. I haven't picked up any leader figs since Armada despite the fact that I thought Cybertron Prime looked pretty badass. I only bought the TRU exclusive Megatron/Optimus 2-pack during Energon because I could get a form of both leaders for less than one (and Megs was almost identical save for the paint job and size).

Now from a parent'ss point of view (and we all know parents are Hasbro's bread and butter for much of the Transformer's market) I believe eliminating the leader class is a very wise decision. I imagine there are a lot of parents who see a $40 price tag for an action figure and get very hesitant about purchasing it, but would be fine picking up $20 figures, especially for a special occasion.

Now if not making leader figures leads to them being able to make more deluxes and voyagers in a line, I believe it is much more likely for a parent to buy a toy every couple of weeks when they are out at the store either as a reward for the child being good or to get them to shut up ;) . A wider variety of figures means it is more likely for there to be figures on the shelves that a child doesn't have (after all I believe the "impulse buy" threshhold for many people is much more in line with a $10 or $20 item than a $40 one). The more units sold, the more revenue for Hasbro and even if they don't have as good a profit margin on the smaller figures as they do for the larger, if they can sell enough other of the smallers they can potentially make far more money. This is much more likely now that Transformers awareness/popularity is at its highest in over 20 years.

So in short, I think this might be a good idea for Hasbro, especially since they will still be catering to the collector with Classics 2.0/Universe. They also tend to be more experimental with smaller figures which leads to more unexpected surprises of figures (like some of the non-movie character toys like Dropkick, Wreckage, and the Real Gears)

Of course like most posts, this is full of opinion and speculation. We'll know what Hasbro is up to soon enough.

5. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Leader class is pricey but you gotta love that Brawl huh huh come on you know you do.

6. Brawl

Brawl Master of Destruction

I too have a hard time trying to justify the $40 tag on the Leaders. I'd rather be picking up more Deluxes and/or Voyager class figures. Don't get me wrong, I think they look great for the most part (coloring could be better on some), but they are just too pricey.

I think Thelonicon pretty much "hit the nail on the head" with the explanation too. I think most parents see that price tag too and say, that's too much. I can't say I saw any Leaders in the local Meijer stores here either. They were shelf-warmers for a bit at the local TRU. I don't think Target had too many either. I think it's a class that might not have a spot on the shelf right now.

7. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Back with the RiD line, wasn't the now-considered Leader sized Optimus only priced at 30 bucks at US retail? What happened to make the 10 dollar jump for that toys of that size so quickly? I know Armada Prime had the electronic crap and all, but Energon and Cybertron Primes were a lot simpler in terms of that.

I always thought 30 bucks was a pretty fair price, and hated to swallow the 40 bucks on toys like Armada Prime. In cases like Cyb Prime and Metroplex though where the toy is just fucking kick ass it's not so bad

When you consider the prices people in other countries pay for these things too...eh, makes it not seem so bad

8. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

As long as they don't get excessive with the Leader Class - I don't mind 1-3 figures per line. I can understand that a lot of people aren't willing to go that far, though - so the switch to Deluxe "leaders" is not a bad idea.

9. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I like the smaller sizes we'll be getting, less shelf crampedness. My movie display ran out of shelf so the war is pretty close quarters.

Animated toys will fit better in that regard, while staying a more interesting scale between them. I like saving massive figures for massive characters. Like omega supreme, primus, unicron, metroplex, and heck yeah about brawl, in the leader scale, etc. Don't know why, but it just works to me, and allows a more wide array of sizes without being overdone.
    Although I still want Blackout, and Starscream in the leader class, with a Bonecrusher Voyager class.

What I really want, is just a good accurate toon or movie scale to them. Or at least alt mode close in scale to each other. If they can do that, I'll be extremely happy.

Then again, I also think it should become mandatory for every prime to have a removable matrix, or matrix cavity for one to be passed on, and other characters too, whether they had a matrix or not (maybe not all, but if there's room in that spot, go for it!). I've just always wanted that since a kid. Especially after the Prime, Magnus, Rodimus three way swap. And I gotta admit it was the main reason I imported Big Convoy.
    And all the times in the various series he gives the matrix to someone to hold for him. Even in the G1 trilogy novels.

10. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader Movie OP (and Megs) cost about $90-$110 here in Sweden depending on the store... then again the dollar is really weak at the moment. But still way more than I'm prepared to pay for them.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Beast Wars was a great line, with the majority of toys at the Deluxe / Basic size, with only a couple of Megas and Ultras (Ultras being closer to today's Voyagers as well). I'm glad Hasbro have decided to go back to that. Having most characters available in a decent price means kids can buy their favourites without saving for months on end, and guys like me don't have so much buyers remorse (as much as I want Leader Brawl, I'm having a hard time justifying what I'll pay out for him.)

I honestly believe this is how TF should be done. Deluxes and Voyagers should be the norm, those are the best sizes, big enough to be fun yet not too big. Armada, Energon and Cybertron were great with their variety of figures, but the fact there were so many big toys made it hard for me to keep up.

12. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

If I can get the same figure, I'd prefer it to be a voyager rather than a leader class. I get no joy out of toys taking up lots and lots of space. The G1 cars are deluxe size, and most of us love them. And I do like when the bigger characters aren't 4 times as big as the smaller characters.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Leader toys are amazing, but they cost too much. No kid (or parent) is willing to dish out $40-$50 USD for toys. However. Deluxes and voyagers give you more bang for your buck.

I still think an Ultra sized Bulkhead with a miniature BB pack would rock socks.

14. Brawl

Brawl Master of Destruction

I think if they could get these figures in correct proportions to each other, they wouldn't have to have the Leader class or use it for the big guys like Deadend said.

If Ratchet was an inch smaller than Voyager OP, then the Autobot line would be perfect to me. But the Decepticon line, look at Voyager Meg and Starscream, SS is a good inch or two taller. WTF? And we've all said our complaints about Bonecrusher (too small, should have been a Voyager), Brawl (too small, should have been a Voyager) and Blackout (there's no way he's really a Voyager).

If they would develop a scale and stick to it, they could produce Scout, Deluxe and Voyager classes and still sell quite well.

15. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Cybertron is my favorite line, but I'd like it better of Optimus was a Voyager or an Ultra. Even the Cybertron Defense team would have worked if Scattorshot and Red Alert were each scaled down one size class; I would have also liked to see CD Hot Shot as a basic, but I don't think Hasbro would have done that one.

16. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Removing leader class whould save me a bucket load of money

17. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Three words. Fuck. Leader. Class.

The only TFs that I'll spend over $25 on, and not regret it, are Japanese ones.

18. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    For once I agree with onesock

19. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    But there is a class between voyager and leader. It's ultra class a funky $30 grey area where cybertron figures like scourge and defense force red alert hang out.

The prime and megs toys we've been shown for animated are cybertronian forms.
    with the earth firetruck and jet forms potentially fitting to the ultra or leader class. I am hoping for the former as that would keep everyone in closer scale.

20. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I noticed that too.

And I for one welcome the end of the Leader-class.

I'm finding it hard to justify spending Leader prices on movie Megatron, despite wanting him for completion's sake.