Minor/Repaint: TFA Tigatron and Airazor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by GizmoTracer, Jun 22, 2009.

1. GizmoTracer

GizmoTracer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here are my custom TFA Tigatron and Airazor. They are, obviously, modified from TFA Deluxe-class Jazz and Prowl, respectively. Both were painted with Privateer Press' Fomula P3 paints. Tigatron's sword and Airazor's bird-head are from a Power Rangers RPM (Go-onger) toy, while the faction symbols are from Reproduction TF symbols and replacement toy symbols - Reprolabels.com.

I drew design elements from their original toys and character models, as well as their 'Dawn of Future's Past' forms. I went with the less-organic stripes on Tigatron to play up the pre-beast aesthetic, and to work them into the Elite Guard faction symbol. Airazor is a motorcycle because flying Autobots are supposed to be a rarity in TFA, but I still wanted her to have 'wings' in robot mode. Her wrist lasers are supposed to suggest the dart-launchers she sported in the cartoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got a few more photos, including comparisons with the regular Jazz and Samurai Prowl, here.

So what are they doing in the Animated Universe? Well...

Acting Magnus Optimus Prime commissions the Axalon, a top secret Elite Guard exploration vessel with orders to track down the technorganics Blackarachnia and Waspinator, with the hope that the pair might be cured. There’s just one catch. With most of the Autobot forces busy hunting down the remaining Decepticon cells left after Megatron’s defeat, the mission commander, a bot known only as Primal, must choose his crew from a pool of misfits and washouts looking for one last chance to prove themselves...

Part of the Elite Guard Exploration Corp, with special dispensation to investigate organic planets, Tigatron rarely spends time on Cybertron. That seems to suit him just fine, generating rumours that he’s gone ‘native’, going so far as to rename himself after an organic species he admires. An accomplished Metallikato practitioner with mods that make both of his modes virtually silent, Tigatron was happy to sign on as the
    Axalon’s security officer and field biologist.

There’s something off about that Airazor femme. Maybe it’s the organic design elements she’s insisted on incorporating into her chassis, or maybe it’s that she doesn’t seem to understand that Autobots were never meant to fly. With a streamlined design that cuts through wind resistance and modified jump-jets that allow for amazing leaps, Airazor has never stopped reaching for the sky. Her tremendous skill handling the
    Chromia 10 made her a natural choice to be the Axalon’s pilot.

Attached Files:

2. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Wow...these look REALLY nice...loving the stripes/logo on Tigatron and the hawk head on Airazor's alt mode...

Very nice very clean...perfect... :thumbs2: 

3. Rubicon

Rubicon Rubi Red

News Credits:
    Very creative. Me likey.

4. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

VERY cool. These look awesome. Any plans to do any other Beast Wars characters?

5. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Personally, i feel those molds don't work particularly well for the characters, but the paint looks great, and i love the birdhead on Airazor's bike-mode.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Love 'em, I think they look great. Very creative! I love the stripes on Tigatron's alt mode.

7. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Wow, that looks amazing! Airazor's head is flawless.

8. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Wow. Those are totally random (in that I never would have imagined those molds as those characters) but they really work. The creativity and execution here are amazing.

9. TransFan1996

TransFan1996 Well-Known Member

cool!

10. Whalemusic360

Whalemusic360 Well-Known Member

Super clean! great add the the tfa bw fan line!

11. GizmoTracer

Wow! Thanks for all the positive response! Glad you folks are enjoying them.

Granted, the mold choices are a little outside the box, particularly for Airazor, but I was determined to make them work! I briefly considered using the Jet Twins as the base so that they could combine into Tigerhawk, but to be honest I'm not a big fan of the twins' mold and even after all these years I'm still a little sore over the whole 'abducted by the Vok' thing.

Airazor's head actually started out as Prowl's, believe it or not. Some sanding, some putty and some paint, and there you go! Heh, Tigatron's head started out a Jazz's, but I'm guessing that's a little easier to believe.

I'm got a bunch of projects in my queue, as it were, but I would like to put together pre-beast, Animated versions of the rest of the Axalon's crew, if only because it would give me an excuse to write more bios!

12. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

Looks good dude, might I take a guess at the molds used for the rest of the crew?

13. GizmoTracer

Hey, be my guest! I'll admit, the rest of my choices are a lot more predictable than these two.

14. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

Alright umm

Rhinox = Bulkhead
    Rattletrap = Bumblebee
    Cheetor = Blurr?
    Dinobot = Lockdown
    Prime = hmm not sure about this one, Soundwave maybe?

15. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Awesome job. I love seeing others takes on BW:Ani.
    Airazor is spot on (imo).
    I'm going to have to keep this in mind when I (finally) get around to mine.

16. Tomasemily

Tomasemily Well-Known Member

These are sweet. The molds work very well for each character, although individual pics of each would be welcome.

17. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Holy crap man that ridiculously amazing! They both look so SICK !!!! And you totally beat NP and TK to the punch! (Well...and me, because I've considered repainting a Jazz or Blurr into Cheetor too!) I can't even begin to elaborate on how I think they look- it's just so perfect! I don't think anything else can be said but that. I mean, the awesome sculting on Airazor plus the addition of the sweet hawk head, simply genius! Then there's the nice stripes and decals on Tigertron. Holy Shit man! The colors are just perfect... what else is there? It's all just so incredible. Great work!!! It would be sweet if you could post more pics though- so we could all gawk at all the details you put into this (especially those heads).

P.S. Do you commisions man, there is no way I could even try to get something like your results?

18. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    great work and great job with the story. what did you use for airazor's robot head?

19. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

i love the airrazor... kinda want to make one but i lack the head sculpting skills

20. GizmoTracer

Man, coming from you, that really means a lot! Thanks! Was it your Grimlock-as-BW-Megatron I saw at TFCon this year? That's what got me really thinking about these in earnest.

Well, that can probably be arranged. I'll have to wait until the sun's being more co-operative, though.

I don't do commissions for a number of reasons, but don't be afraid to give it a shot yourself! These are only my second and third custom Transformers (not counting my Season 3 Sari), and initially I was really intimidated by some of the amazing work I saw online. There's really nothing for it but to experiment and see what works for you. Besides, having a figure that you modded yourself? Totally worth the effort.

That really is just Prowl's head under all of that. I shaved down the chin, mouth and crest, then sculpted on the rest of details with putty. After that, it was just a matter the judicious application of paint!

Oh, and Unfall, those are some pretty good guesses. I suppose you'll just have to wait and see, eh? I know, I'm horrible.