2D Artwork: TFA Protectobots. (bigish pics)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SPLIT LIP, Mar 11, 2011.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I made these for fun. Not my best work but some of the drawings turned out really well and I wanted to share the ideas and story I cooked up for them.

Also I was tired of my pictures coming out small and loosing focus, so they're kinda big now.

[​IMG]

The idea I had behind the Protectobots was what if the Autobot experimentation with combining didn't end with Safeguard? What if they took it just one step further? I like combiner teams, but your typical scramble city five-dudes into one has been done. I wanted to try something different, and homage something besides just the team? And because I'm obsessive, I looked to TFs past, and all it's reimaginings and close relatives. The idea is with this possibly amazing weapon in combination, but the extremely rare circumstances needed (Jetfire/Jetstorm's split protoform) that radical new experiments were needing to be tried. Megatron is defeated, but the war is not yet won. Decepticons still roam the distant corners of the galaxy, and while they become more threatened, they become more desperate.

First up, is Streetwise:

[​IMG]

"Streetwise is the most selfless and giving robot I've ever met. When I was overlooking Wheeljack's list of potential candidates, Streetwise struck me as especially interesting. We had met long before, you see, during project Omega, though I did not realise until now. He served under Hot Spot Major, who was bonded to Eta Supreme. His service record detailed many heroics during the war, including... rescuing his captain with the help of his shipmates when the Omega Sentinel was near destruction, and Hot Spot Major was determined to go down with his ship. Streetwise would not leave without his captain and fellow crew members safe in escape pods, nearly expiring himself. For our program, this loyalty would be essential if the bonding is to succeed. Without the inherent symbiotic nature in their sparks, such as the case with Jetfire and Jetstorm, these three would need every advantage they can get to survive." -Perceptor

Next is Blades:

[​IMG]

"Oh boy, Blades. This ram-damaged spawn of a glitch nearly damned the whole project. Wheras Streetwise was your typical loyal soldier and hero, Blades is... is phsyconator a word? It is now, add it to the dictionary, with this defect's picture next to it. Seriously, I'm not kidding. When we first met he was quite, innocent, but when I read his service record I realised what we were getting into. Repeated counts of him tormenting enemies on the battlefield, attacking friendlies for trvial things such as getting to close, and he apprently talks to himself, at lot. If he wasn't such a perfect match to the strict CNA guidelines Wheeljack cooked up, I'd have thrown him in the stockade with the rest of the crazies. To think we even considered testing the advanced flight technology on him. I hope Streetwise whips him into place sooner rather than later" -Sentinel Magnus

Finally, Groove (I suck, suck, SUCK at drawing motorcycles, even made-up ones :( ):

[​IMG]

"When I caught wind of what Sentinel was doing, I initially had my concerns. Of course, being Magnus, he didn't let news slip of this highly controversial experimentation until well after it was underway. As such, I only got involved in the program briefly, and didn't get much time to interact with the candidates. One I did get to meet was Groove. You see, unlike Jetstorm and Jetfire, who wer enear death and who's reformatting saved them, these Autobots were three perfectly healthy soldiers who had never met before, and merely volunteered because Sentin- their planet, asked them. Groove took it well enough. He's a laid-back guy, but I expect it's a front. The look in his eyes, the way he carries himself, it's put-on. Like he wants to look like he's fine. Not much of history in his service record, just that he was a frontline combatant. I have to trust Sentinel, we all do, but I wonder with Megatron defeated, are the risks still worth it for absolute peace among our race?" -Optimus Prime

And this is Defensor:

[​IMG]

"At last, the fruit of our labour. Defensor is, as of now, everything we could've hoped for. Strong, fast, and resolute, he is one of the most powerful Cybertronians crafted. When combined, Streetwise, Groove and Blades all retain their individuality, however Streetwise has dominence, and could be considered Defensor himself. In think the candidates have learned to work very well. Streetwise and Groove fell into place quite easily, but getting Blades to understand his role and accept it took some time. I fear it was only the realization that he is now capable of even more damage and pain that he gave in at all. While relatively weaponless as individuals, when combined Defensor's abilities consist of projectable self-sustaining shield arrays, concussive punches, a four-bladed melee weapon, blinding light-emiters, and various other tools and gadgets left over from the component Autobots. My only concern is the fact that the individuals, while cooperating, tend not to mingle. Groove is especially antisocial, and Blade's disturbing demeanor pushes him away,too. Sentinel could not care less, as he's more interested in teh PR side of it. 'Defensor' was hardly my first choice of a name, but Sentinel believed that the people needed less hostile terminology as the war is winding down. Perhaps he's right. Perhaps Defensor means just as much as an image as a weapon." -Perceptor

So yeah, this it. I tried working in as many design nods and throwbacks to past Protectobots without it looking jumbled. I decided on the more darker colour scheme to reflect his less then cheery origins, and unintentionally Defensor sorta looks like Overlord. I like how Streetwise's vehicle mdoe turned out. I based it on that one Gobot who's name I forget, and other than that the only other non-TF homage is to Big Volfogg of Takara's Brave series GaoGaiGar. I tried to think of a badass police car when making Streetwise, and I recalled him, and also recalled how Big Volfogg's other components were a helicopter and motorcycle and, well, you get the rest. :D 

Attached Files:

2. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

I like the looks of them, but I don't really understand whats happening with Groove's mouth...

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's based off his G1 toy's face. The toy didn't really have a mouth so much as a faceplate. I just made it so the "chin" could fold up as a battle mask.

4. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

Defensor's face...is...heroic and AWESOME! I love the stories behind all of the characters. I love the designs of almost of the characters.
    The robo body that has me a bit put off is Groove's. I think the chest protudes a little too much, and for such a laid back demeanor he sure has a "You want to fight me?" stance. The car mode for Streetwise is pretty epic, the tire's a bit small, but thats a style choice i guess. However his robot mode is a bit boxy, the animated aesthetic is about incorporating long curved lines rather than many segments of lines with almost 90 degree angles. I love the idea of blades being some sort of snowmobile thing. However, i think his head is a bit too big and the right leg (our right) is a bit thick, but the design is still pretty cool, and you still made it look like he transforms into a helicopter!
    I'm going to go back to the head of heroism for a sec, his structure and basic construction is wonderful and kind of poseidon like, however he needs a bit more color on the actual face, a little too much gray if you ask me. Also, the head is also a bit boxy, which seems to be a running problem with the headsculpts (except groove's); ie. Streetwise's helmet, and Blades' wing ears. Unlike the other critiques, i'm not really sure how to make it less boxy without compromising the look.
    Now onto Defensor's body, although it doesnt really scream defensor to me, i like how his stance makes him look like a guardian, almost like a...protector...lol bad joke is bad :rolleyes:  , I like the call out to Big Volfogg! However the crest plate seems odd, and the color shift from gloss black to police car white on the chest seems a bit odd as well (unless that's supposed to be a bullet proof vest???), and the last critique on the body: the arms seem a bit too short, they should extend to about 3/4 way down the upper leg, a little above the knee.

on a completely different note, that lower leg/foot design for defensor (the classic back of the car shin guard piece) is the exact same as the animated version of prowl i drew up a little while ago, like same curves, same angles, hell, the shine on the glass is the same too XD

5. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

they look awesome!

6. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

Nice, tho grooves head seems a bit big for his body. Are you ever gonna get back to your SG TFA?

7. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Sweet! I luvs me some Animated. I also luvs me some combiners. Therefore, Animated combiners = win! It amuses me that you drew the three Protectobots that weren't mentioned in the second Allspark Almanac...was that intentional?

8. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    BEAUTIFUL DESIGNS !!!! GROOVE WAS GREAT. Alt mode gives a ravage-ish kinda feel !

9. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Streetwise looks AWESOME! I love the alt mode. But, no First Aid? =(

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This is some slick shit yo,

Can't wait for Hot Spot Major and First Aid.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Glad you like it!

Indeed. I think I got too lost in the throwbacks. I tried so hard to incorperate all of the past Streewise designs, the asthetic took a back seat, which upon reviewing other homage-heavy Animated designs which put asthetic first, was deffinately a poor choice. I think I may completly redo the arms.

I deffinately shot myself in the foot when colouring these guys. I picked their colours seperate, which limited the colours I could use on Defensor. I didn't think it was so bad at first, but I'm deffinately going to go back and overhaul it.

12. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

My god, Blades face is ADORABLE!!!

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I edited the first post to include my revised versions. I made Groove slimmer and lankier to better set him apart from Blades, and changed his pose to betetr reflect the character as suggested. Streetwise got new arms, deco, and so did Defensor who also had his head tweaked to look a little more animated, but the latter is still in progress. I left the first versions in the attatchements so you can compare all the changes.

I like Groove's new vehicle mode. I don't know what it is, but I want to ride it.

14. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Groove's new vehicle looks like a Can-Am Spyder minus the rear wheel (unless it's just covered by the huge-ass front wheels). Likin' Groove's "Aaaaay!" pose.

15. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beautiful, love the story/bio and your designs are slick, creative, yet work so well into the Animated world.

16. Whelpd

Whelpd Well-Known Member

reminds me of the police car and hos combination from gaogaigar

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It should. ;) 

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome job, man. Love the heads.

19. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

Streetwise: like the changed lower arm design, although now there's too much black. I think you should do a compromise between the old and the new on color. Add the red or white back in, but not both. Also the top shoulder piece was fine, just needed bit of a curve. Thats it though
    Blades: just noticed, his head piece compresses in during mask transformation; very cool
    Groove: AHAHAHAHHAHA AHAHAHA, LOL, ok, sorry, cuz the first time that came to mind was venom-peter parker walking down the street going "AYY!" to all the girls XD (3rd movie). Ok now that that's out of the way. I LOVE HIM, his pose is brilliant, the eyes are wonderful, the sleeker model is perfect, although i think his chest is a bit too small.Also, i think you should make his mouth move a bit more, so he can smile properly.Also the color changes are very good. Now, the only bad part, the vehicle mode. I'm sorry but i dont like it at all. I think you can keep the motorcycle structure and exchange the front pieces. Also if you dont want to change cuz you've solved the transformation i can help. Like make the arms decompress from the back and go around like voyager seaspray's arms, and legs transform like deluxe prowl, and the chest compresses in. done!
    King Trit--Defensor: The crest is so much better now! the arms look much better now that they're longer, but his right arm (our left)the lower bit, seems a bit fat...I dont see any design differences in the bullet-proof vest either...The face; I liked the older version's thinness more but i like this one's mustache, however i think his beard should be completely blue.
    Now, i know it seems like im asking a lot, but remember, it's your work to change, not mine. So whatever changes you do/dont make, it'll still be an awesome piece of work!

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm not changing Groove's vehicle mode. It's the onyl thign I'm confident I've done right out of all these guys. I want to keep some similarities with GunDober, after all. Also, he doesn't have a mouth, which is why he's not smiling. And Defensor's still a WIP. The arms are proving very tricky, since I'll get a good design down for one, which I can in no way apply for the other. You'll notice there are now 'straps' on the vest.