TFA problems

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by newguy, Jul 31, 2008.

1. newguy

newguy i

I know a lot of you TFW members love animated and you might not agree with me, but please hear me out and put your own opinion tords or against mine. We all know the new Transformers movbie came out a year ago (It doesnt seem that long) and it was pretty freakin awesome. Big fighting robots, awesome sfx, and a good story line. What do we get after this, some crapy little kids show with toys that should be for like 3+ not 5+. Now yes Animated Megatron is probaly the coolest Megatron charector we have had since g1. I very much like how the Animated story line its very complexed compaired to the others. Now at this point im pretty sure most of you hate me, but keep listening. We get a super advanced alien robot dudes that are in a dangerus battle against more giant killer robots, and yet they bring this little girl with them. I figured we would get something a little bit more mature after the movie but i gues not. Well please place your personal opinions below I would like to see were im wrong. Don't just say Animated rocks please explain why animated rocks or why it sucks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The cartoon is decent for me, however the episodes seem to have more misses than hits in my opinion. An example of a "hit" for me was the episode with Wreck-Gar. A miss would be any Bumblebee-centric episode (of which there were many). Character-wise, Megatron is excellent, but the quality of characters experiences a sharp drop-off from there.

The toys, however, aren't at all my cup of tea. I still believe that while that design aesthetic may work on screen (personally, I still think it looks like a bunch of humans dressed in spandex robot suits), it doesn't translate well to 3D, i.e. the actual figures. Where I am, they're not selling at ALL and the shelves are suffering from a glut of TFA figures that reminds me of He-Man during the decline of that line in the late 80s. Could just be my location, but I've heard from others in different areas of the country experiencing the same thing and in fact, some cases of witnessing kids' preference for the "cooler looking" (their words) Classics/Universe figures. The numerous QC issues along with shoddy paint jobs isn't helping things for TFA either.

Ultimately, if Animated does end up not living up to Hasbro's expectations, I don't think it'll be a deathblow to the franchise or anything. It basically comes down to it (and Universe Classics, to a lesser extent) being placeholder lines until 2009 when the second movie releases - that's the real cash cow for Transformers.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uhh, not really.

Most of the time Sari is either dragged by Bumblebee (a complete idiot btw) or because of the fact they need to use the key for something like repairing Omega Supreme, it's not like they go fight Lugnut, bring Sari with 'em and tells her to keep watching in the middle of the fight, in fact, lots of times one of the NOT BUMBLEBEE robots tell her to stay away of the fight.

Oh by the way, the crappy little toys are probably better TOYS than any of the movie figures, just to let you know.

4. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    The series is just fun.
    It takes us back to the days of G1.
    The show isn't supposed to be too complex.
    The last 3 series were a tad too complex.
    The new show is supposed to bring in a younger crowd into transformers
    The writing is more detailed and nuanced than you're giving it credit for.
    The toy only look simple.
    They're good figs.
    Fun to play with, fun to transform.
    Some of us are just burnt out on movie toys,
    and we are now enjoying getting back to basics.
    Oh, and there usually is a kid with the team. (G1, RID, Armada, energon, cybertron)
    Not always. (BeastWars, BeastMachines)
    You may not like animated.
    That's fine. I doubt you're alone.
    Many of us can't get enough of it, and want more.
    That's also fine.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Transfomers the Movie was the mature series. Animated is just fun.

6. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Ok.

Sure the 07 Movie looked realistic but the plot was full of holes.

TFA looks like fun and the plot is actually well thought out and intriguing.

Take that for what you will.

I love both.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree with this. I love the movie for it's obscenely violent combat and amazingly inticate, over-technical and stylized designs, and I love Animated for it's light-hearted fun and clean, smooth-styled designs.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call it a "Crappy Little Kids show" since they also tried to get older fans into it with some of the characters (Wreck-Gar, Omega Supreme, Dinobots) and references (most of the dialogue and visual easter eggs). The toys, while quality control plagued, are really good and well liked. Also, Sari isn't really dragged into the fight, unless, as said before, Bumblebee decides to bring her with him....cause he's an idiot, also said. It's also not very complex. You want complex? try showing a kid Beast Machines. I personally love the series. Not as much as when it started, but love in none the less.

9. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Because Transformers are more for the kids than they are for the more mature audience. The mature series was the movie but every other series has/will be for kids

10. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i hate the movie look so i'm happy to see a 180 from that
    and the toys are ALOT better then you are saying they are

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    animated rocks! why? cause it does!

but seriously:
    1)of course it looks like a crappy TV show-they've gone with a new animation style to appeal to little kids by using a style they are more familiar with-it would either be animated like Teen Titans or like... iunno, Code Lyoko or sumthin (which would actually look pretty kool, IMHO. plus they wanted to make it clear this was a much different series, not at all like the A/C/E trilogy-dodnt want kids to get the shows mixed up.
    2)the toys may look a little cheesey at times (luv um!), but not 3+. most 5 year olds i know (and i know alot) have trouble with them.
    3)as stated, Sari is only there for her key and cause BB is an idiot (someone NEEDS to figure out a way to put that into an emoticon)

so ya, its different. but that doesnt make it a "problem"

12. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

i agree with most of the above posters you can like both you can have the movie be your source of transformers maturity (makes almost no sense considering both are pretty childish) and animated be your source of imaturity (this makes some sense)

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    animated is written much like beast wars. any age group can enjoy it, its not written just for kids.

and the toy comment just proves you've never actually touched an animated toy. Many of them are very intricate.

before saying that animated toys are kiddy, place animated bumblebee next to G1 bumblebee, and compare the number of steps in their transformations. and then for more fun, do the same with movie barricade, and see that animated bumblebee is still more complex than him.

then for a bonus, compare animated bumblebee's articulation to both G1 bumblebee and movie barricade. hint: only one of the three can turn their head and waist.

14. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I understand that Animated may not be ascetically pleasing to everyone (took me a lot of getting use to). But that doesn't change the fact that TFA has very well engineered toys. I've never seen a TF toy line with as little kibble as TFA.

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    You do realize that the TFA cartoon and toys are designed with kids in mind? It is not intended for adults.

I really enjoy a lot of the show, but not all of it. There are going to be episodes just for the kiddies, the fact that some of them seem aimed at the older audience is just gravy. I think that the effort put in the show to give us fans G1 fanwanks left and right is a bonus.

I for one, love Animated toys for the fact that the toys are simple, fun AND incredibly show accurate, to the likes we have never seen before. And they can not keep enough of them in stock at most retailers, most of them sell in a week or two at most around here.

And they are making ARCEE. Need I say more?

Hasbro has already showed they care about us collectors with the Classics series being brought back from the dead.

I liked the movie, and while I did buy most of the toys (mostly on impulse), many are too complex and/or crappy in my personal opinion (Not ALL of them, but a LOT of them) My exceptions would be Concept BB and Leader Prime, the rest are pretty craptacular and now reside in a big box, I doubt I'll ever touch them again.

With the Animated toys, it is FUN to play with them, I usually don't actually "play" with my toys very much, but I will admit that these toys are just so much fun! I pick up TFA toys and fiddle with them all the time!

The whole idea here is variety, So you have TFA, Classics/Universe, and (coming soon) 25th Anniversary as well as TF2 toys.

when have we ever had such a selection to choose from? To me, it seems as they have almost everyone covered, yet people still complain.

I, for one, say THANK YOU HASBRO!!!

16. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

I didn't know the Jersey Turnpike let off in Bizzarro World...

P.S. Animated has SURPASSED Hasbro's expectations, much like Armada did.

17. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i know there are some QC stuff but all mine are rite on with there paint

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Someone tried telling me this is how things were in my area (they didnt know where I lived) so I went to the very target they were talking about and took a picture of the empty endcap and pegs reserved for animated, and showed it to them. they didnt have anything to say after that.

so I don't really believe it when people say that animated is shelfwarming in their area. especially when it seems like the only people who report the phenomenon dislike the animated toys.

movie haters were saying the same stuff about the movie toys that were impossible to find nationwide, right after the movie's release saying kids were going for the leftover classics stuff. that wasnt true at all, and we all know it. but people said it anyways.

also, just because there's a bunch of stuff on the shelves doesnt mean its not selling. it often means the store is just restocking it a lot.

and talking about shoddy paint jobs with ANIMATED? yeah, it's not perfect, but it's better than universe prowl.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha yeah, now that's true, in fact it kind of made me JEALOUS that only people that didn't want the toys always found millions and billions of 'em!

20. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thbbt, I'm nowhere near the Turnpike. :lol  Seriously, they're just not selling in my area, it's bizarre. Every time I go out to a Walmart, TRU, Target...it's like the Animated section has barely been touched (and I've been to these stores enough to know that the staff doesn't restock that meticulously).

Of course, it could just be my area isn't great for toy sales in the first place (Spider-Man 3 toys were on shelves LONG past their 'sell by' date). But even my wife (who doesn't collect) has noticed it, so it ain't just me.